(Continued from page 1...)
Incorporating more mangoes into your diet
Learn to not judge the ripeness of a mango by its' color. Look for fresh mangoes that yield slightly to pressure when ripe. Avoid fruits with many black freckles on the skin. Mangoes will continue to ripen at room temperature. When at the desired ripeness, store them in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Mangoes taste best when slightly chilled.1
- One of the best ways to enjoy a mango is diced fresh, just by itself. Take the mystery of out how to cut a mango by watching this helpful video.
- Make a tropical fruit salad with fresh papaya, pineapple and mango.
- Muddle mango into your glass of lemonade, iced tea or water for a burst of fresh fruity flavor.
- Make a fresh salsa with papaya, mango, jalapeno, red peppers and chipotle pepper and use as a topper for your favorite fish tacos.
- Add a few slices of frozen mango to your smoothies. Combine with pineapple juice, frozen strawberries and Greek yogurt for a sweet tropical treat, or try this recipe for a Mango-Citrus Banan-za smoothie.
- Try these Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mango Guacamole for a great combination of plant-based proteins and complex carbs with a boost of antioxidants on top:
Best Ever Black Bean Burgers
Serves 4 in 20 minutes
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 15oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- Handful of cilantro
- 3 tablespoons of diced onion
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil.
- Mix chia seeds with 2 tablespoons water and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, add all ingredients except flour and olive oil to food processor. Stir the chia seed mix and add to food processor. Pulse until well combined.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Remove bean mix from food processor and place in a large bowl. Mix in flour and olive oil and form 4 patties. Cook about 5 minutes on each side until slightly crisp on the outside and warm on the inside. Toast whole grain buns and serve topped with Chipotle Mango Guacamole (recipe below).
Chipotle Mango Guacamole
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 dried chipotle chiles, chopped with most seeds removed
- 1 avocado, diced
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 mango, diced small.
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil to medium heat and stir in 1/2 the diced tomatoes and all of the onion and chiles. Cook 5-10 minutes until onion and chiles are softened. Remove mixture from heat. Place in a medium bowl and allow to cool.
- Add the avocado, lime juice, mango and stir.
Possible health risks of consuming mangoes
Those with a latex allergy may also have a cross-reaction to mangoes.
Consuming too much potassium can be harmful for those whose kidneys are not fully functional. If your kidneys are unable to remove excess potassium from the blood, it could be fatal.
It is the total diet or overall eating pattern that is most important in disease prevention and achieving good health. It is better to consume a diet with variety than to concentrate on individual foods as the key to good health.