Protein is an essential nutrient. The body needs it to build and repair tissues.
Although animal foods are usually highest in protein, some plants also contain high amounts.
Here are 10 nutritious vegetables that contain a fair amount of protein.
Watercress is a cruciferous plant that grows in water. It is high in protein per calorie.
Watercress has the following
- One cup (34 grams [g]) of watercress contains 0.8 g of protein.
- A 100-g serving of watercress contains 2.3 g of protein and 11 calories.
- Protein accounts for 84% of its calories.
How to eat watercress
Avoid boiling watercress in water, as this will
Alfalfa sprouts are very low in calories but rich in nutrients.
Alfalfa sprouts have the following
- One cup (33 g) of alfalfa sprouts contains 1.3 g of protein.
- A 100-g serving of alfalfa sprouts contains 4 g of protein and 23 calories.
- Protein accounts for 69% of their calories.
How to eat alfalfa sprouts
Enjoy alfalfa sprouts raw in a sandwich or salad or cooked lightly in a stir-fry or soup.
Spinach is one of the most nutrient-dense leafy green vegetables a person can eat.
Spinach has the following
- One cup (25 g) of raw spinach contains 0.7 g of protein.
- A 100-g serving of spinach contains 2.9 g of protein and 23 calories.
- Protein accounts for 50% of its calories.
The protein in spinach contains all essential amino acids. One cup of spinach contains
Spinach is also a rich source of folate, vitamin A, and vitamin C; a good source of magnesium and potassium; and a decent source of calcium.
Spinach contains plant compounds that can
In one small
How to eat spinach
Try adding raw spinach to salads or smoothies. A person can also blend it into soups, add whole spinach leaves to curries and stews, or saute it as a side dish.
Chinese cabbage, a category that includes napa cabbage and bok choy, also has a high protein content per calorie.
Chinese cabbage has the following
- One cup (70 g) of shredded Chinese cabbage contains 1.1 g of protein.
- A 100-g serving of Chinese cabbage contains 1.5 g of protein and 13 calories.
- Protein accounts for 46% of its calories.
Chinese cabbage is a rich source of vitamins A, C, and K. It is also a good source of folate and a decent source of calcium and potassium.
Several cell studies have shown that Chinese cabbage is rich in compounds with antioxidant activity. Its outer leaves appear to
How to eat Chinese cabbage
People use Chinese cabbage in many Asian dishes, such as stir-fries, kimchi, soups, and spring rolls.
Asparagus is a very popular vegetable with high nutrient content.
Asparagus has the following
- One cup (134 g) of asparagus contains 3 g of protein.
- A 100-g serving of asparagus contains 2.2 g of protein and 20 calories.
- Protein accounts for 44% of its calories.
Asparagus is a rich source of vitamin K and a good source of folate and riboflavin. It also contains some magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamin A.
Additionally, it contains fructooligosaccharides, which provide
How to eat asparagus
People can grill, boil, steam, or pan-fry asparagus and eat it in salads or as a side dish.
Mustard greens belong to the Brassica family. They are very similar to kale but have a distinct mustard flavor.
Mustard greens have the following protein
- One cup (56 g) of chopped mustard greens contains 1.6 g of protein.
- A 100-g serving of mustard greens contains 2.9 g of protein and 27 calories.
- Protein accounts for 42% of their calories.
One cup also provides
They are a rich source of vitamin C and contain calcium, potassium, and B vitamins. They are also a good source of vitamin E.
Like many other plants, mustard greens contain phenolic compounds that give them
How to eat mustard greens
People can steam, boil, or saute mustard greens or simply eat them raw.
Collard greens are dark green, loose-leafed vegetables from the same family as kale, broccoli, and cauliflower.
Collard greens have the following
- One cup (36 g) of chopped collard greens contains 1.1 g of protein.
- A 100-g serving of collard greens contains 3 g of protein and 32 calories.
- Protein accounts for 38% of their calories.
Their vitamin K content is particularly remarkable, with
They are also rich in vitamin C and folate, are a good source of calcium, and contain some potassium.
As another member of the Brassica family, collard greens are a good source of
How to eat collard greens
Broccoli is a very popular vegetable that also happens to contain protein with all the essential amino acids. People can enjoy it either raw or cooked.
Broccoli has the following
- One cup (88 g) of chopped broccoli contains 2.5 g of protein.
- A 100-g serving of broccoli contains 2.8 g of protein and 34 calories.
- Protein accounts for 33% of its calories.
Broccoli is a very rich source of vitamins C and K, a good source of folate, and a decent source of phosphorus and potassium. It also contains some calcium.
Broccoli also provides high amounts of plant compounds and flavonoids, such as kaempferol. These
Like all other cruciferous vegetables, broccoli is high in glucosinolates — compounds that
How to eat broccoli
People can steam, roast, bake, or saute broccoli. It also works well in soups and sauces or as a side dish.
Brussels sprouts are a great addition to most diets.
Brussels sprouts have the following
- One cup (88 g) of Brussels sprouts contains 3 g of protein.
- A 100-g serving of Brussels sprouts contains 3.4 g of protein and 43 calories.
- Protein accounts for 31% of their calories.
One cup contains 3.3 g of fiber. Brussels sprouts are very rich in vitamins C and K and are a good source of folate and vitamin B6. They are also a decent source of iron and potassium.
How to eat Brussels sprouts
People can cook Brussels sprouts by boiling, steaming, grilling, or roasting them. They work well as a side dish.
Like broccoli, cauliflower provides a high amount of protein for the number of calories it delivers.
Cauliflower has the following
- One cup (107 g) of cauliflower contains 2 g of protein.
- A 100-g serving of cauliflower contains 1.9 g of protein and 25 calories.
- Protein accounts for 31% of its calories.
Cauliflower is a very rich source of vitamin C and a good source of vitamin K. It also contains some calcium, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus.
Cauliflower contains a high amount of a particular glucosinolate compound called sinigrin, which
The glucosinolate content of cauliflower may drop significantly when a person cooks it. Therefore, it may be better to eat cauliflower raw.
However, cauliflower is high in other antioxidants that are preserved during cooking and may even increase after a person steams or microwaves the vegetable.
How to eat cauliflower
Cauliflower is a versatile vegetable suited to a variety of recipes. In many cases, it can act as a substitute for starchy high carbohydrate foods such as pasta and bread.
Even though vegetables are not very high in protein compared with some other foods, many contain good amounts of protein relative to their calorie content.
Also, the vegetables on this list are high in many other nutrients that have proven health benefits.
Consuming these protein-rich vegetables is a great way to increase the protein and nutrient content of any diet without adding many calories.