Pneumonia is an inflammatory disorder of the lungs caused by an infection of the airways. It is a serious condition, and home remedies cannot be used to treat it. However, they can help ease the symptoms.
Pneumonia infections can be critical and may even be life-threatening in some cases. It is essential to visit a doctor for a diagnosis, as well as to monitor symptoms and avoid any complications.
Using a blend of medical treatments and home remedies may help many people manage their symptoms more easily.
Fast facts on pneumonia:
- Infections by viruses, fungi, bacteria, and other harmful organisms cause pneumonia.
- Many of the germs that can cause pneumonia are common in the environment.
- Healthy lifestyle choices may help reduce the risk of developing pneumonia.
People often contract pneumonia from someone else or through a lingering infection, such as that caused by the flu virus.
Most of the time, the body fights off these infections. But if there are enough of the germs around, they can take over and cause a worse illness.
The most common symptoms of pneumonia include:
Sometimes, additional symptoms can occur, such as a persistent cough that causes a headache.
Every pneumonia treatment plan will involve some antiviral, antibiotic, or antifungal medication to treat the infection. Also, there are two rules to remember when recovering from pneumonia:
- Proper rest: A sick body needs plenty of downtime to heal. Refraining from physical activity and getting enough bed rest allows the body to focus on repairing itself, rather than using energy to power the muscles.
- Proper diet: Eating a varied diet rich in whole-food choices may help the body heal, and adequate liquid intake is essential. Water, herbal teas, soups, and broths are all easy ways to increase the liquid intake while recovering from pneumonia.
Also, there are some home treatments that may help clear up the annoying symptoms of pneumonia.
Anyone who suspects they have pneumonia should see their doctor for a diagnosis and treatment. Once a doctor prescribes a treatment plan, it is essential to stick to it and finish the course of medication to give pneumonia the best chance of healing.
Also, taking all of the medication is essential to help keep the infection away for good.
Anyone who does not see an improvement in their symptoms after 3 or 4 days of treatment should visit their doctor again.
People who experience pneumonia once may be more likely to contract it again. It is advisable to talk to a doctor once treatment is complete to find ways to minimize the chance of pneumonia recurring.
These should not be seen as a guaranteed prevention method, but more as giving the body the tools it needs to fight off invaders.
As a study posted to
Exercising, managing stress levels, and getting enough rest are also necessary for a person to stay healthy, and may give the body the best chance to avoid infections, including pneumonia.
Pneumonia can be serious, and should not be taken lightly. Most people notice their symptoms improve within the first few days of treatment, but it can take months to recover fully from the respiratory condition.
Giving the body plenty of rest, fluids and a healthy diet that is rich in nutrients is crucial to allow it to heal. Natural home treatments for pneumonia may help alleviate symptoms as well.