We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
AC Lens is an online retailer of eyeglasses, contact lenses, and eye care accessories. They stock a range of brands and offer a free online vision test for some customers.
The National Eye Institute report that 150 million people in the United States have refractive errors, including nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism.
Online retailers, such as AC Lens, sell a variety of products that can help. In this article, learn about the company, what it offers, and some alternatives.
AC Lens started doing business in 1995, and its headquarters are in Columbus, Ohio.
The company advertises free returns, quick shipping, quality products, and a satisfaction guarantee. Its customer support services are available throughout the week.
AC Lens has accreditation from the Better Business Bureau, which has given it an A+ grade.
Positive online reviews highlight the quality of the eyewear and the relatively low cost. Others report fast shipping and delivery, and helpful customer service.
However, some reviewers describe negative experiences with the processing of rebates and verification of prescriptions. Also, some customers have found the delivery to be slow.
AC Lens sells many eyewear products and brands, including:
- Eyeglasses: The company offers more than 1,200 eyeglasses for adults and children, including rimless, semi-rimless, and full frames. Some examples of stocked brands include Ray-Ban, Oakley, Lunettos, and Picklez.
- Contacts: People can purchase daily, weekly, or monthly disposable lenses for a range of prescriptions. Brands include Bausch & Lomb, Acuvue, Biofinity, and Clariti.
- Nonprescription glasses: The company sells a variety of nonprescription reading glasses, sunglasses, and blue light-blocking glasses.
- Sunglasses: Adults and children can choose from mirrored, polarized, and prescription frames.
- Accessories: Some examples include solutions and cleaners, lens cases, swimming goggles, protective eyewear, makeup glasses, inserters and removers, and straps.
Online vision test
AC Lens offers a free online vision test for people who need to check the accuracy of their prescription before purchasing eyewear.
The test takes 15 minutes and requires a smartphone and a computer. A licensed eye doctor reviews the results within 24 hours, and if they confirm the prescription, the company emails a copy to the customer.
However, some people are not eligible for this service, including people who:
- are under 18 or over 55 years old
- require more than one prescription
- require a prescription for one eye
- require a multifocal prescription
The company also reserves the right to refuse eligibility due to medical history, location, and test responses.
A person can order from AC Lens online or over the phone. Anyone who needs prescription glasses or contacts will have to provide the details from a valid, recent prescription.
The company then verifies this information with an eye doctor. To speed up this process, a person can email or fax over a copy of their prescription.
AC Lens is an out-of-network provider for several insurance companies. It also offers reimbursement forms for the following health insurance providers:
- Davis Vision
- Spectera/United Healthcare
Customers in the U.S. and its territories can receive free standard shipping. Expedited, overnight, and international shipping is available for a fee.
Returns and refunds
AC Lens offers a 365-day money-back guarantee on eyeglasses and contact lenses. They also offer free return shipping to customers in the contiguous U.S.
People have 1 year from their delivery date to return their products.
Many other online retailers offer eyewear and similar services, including:
- Warby Parker: This company sells prescription and nonprescription eyeglasses, contact lenses, reading glasses, and eyewear accessories. A person can try on up to five frames at home.
- GlassesUSA: This company sells eyeglasses, sunglasses, contact lenses, and multifocals. It has an app that allows purchasers to scan their current glasses to learn their prescription and offers virtual try-on technology and help with choosing a frame size.
- Lensabl: This company sells a range of products, including glasses and contacts, and it also provides an eye test. Choices range from the company’s Everyday Eyewear line to designer frames with audio included. Lensabl does not have insurance coverage, however.
Taking precautions can be key to protecting vision, even for people who do not need a prescription.
The American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends wearing sunglasses. Those that block 100% of UVA and UVB rays can prevent damage to the retina, keep cataracts from forming, and protect the skin of the eyelid and around the eye.
People may also consider blue-light glasses to protect against the effects of light from computer, tablet, and smartphone screens.
Also, a 2016 study found that wearing blue-light glasses at night increased the secretion of melatonin, an important hormone that helps the body relax for sleep. People may have better sleep if their body produces more melatonin.
A person can take many other steps to support their eye health. For people with contacts, for example, the
- only using contact lens solution to clean their contacts and case
- washing their hands before touching the contacts
- never sleeping in contacts
Online companies such as AC Lens offer convenient ways to shop for eyewear and a wide selection of brands.
For many customers, the company offers a free vision test to check the accuracy of a person’s current prescription.
It is important to take steps, such as wearing sunglasses, to support vision and eye health.