We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Affordable mattresses can cost between $100-500. People can find various low cost mattresses online, particularly during seasonal sales. Many companies also offer payment plans.
This article looks at average mattress prices and provides tips on finding an affordable mattress. We also list some of the best affordable mattresses available online.
A quick look at the best affordable mattresses:
- Best hybrid: Linenspa Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress
- Best foam: Marley Memory Foam Mattress by Sleep Innovations
- Best spring: Best Price Bonnell Spring Mattress
- Best for couples: The Allswell Mattress
Prices for mattresses vary and depend primarily on their type. In general, spring and hybrid mattresses tend to be cheaper than latex or foam varieties.
Below is a list of the different mattress types alongside their typical price range:
- Foam: From $250 to $1,200 or more, with an average price of $1,000.
- Spring: From $300 to $1,200 or more, with an average price of $900.
- Hybrid: From $1,000 to $2,000 or more, with an average price of $1,000.
- Latex: From $1,000 to $2,000 or more, with an average price of $1,500.
Although the above list reflects typical price ranges, some categories will feature mattresses for as little as $100–300.
When shopping for an affordable mattress, a person may wish to consider extra expenses, including:
- Shipping costs: Does the company include shipping costs? What kind of delivery is available?
- Base or bed frame: Will the new mattress fit an existing frame, or is a new one necessary?
- Box spring: Does the new mattress need a box spring, or will it fit an existing one?
- Mattress cover: Does the company provide a mattress cover or enhancer?
- Sheets and blankets: Will existing bedding fit the new mattress?
Purchasing a mattress through an online retailer and choosing home delivery can help decrease additional costs. However, buying online means people cannot test the mattress before purchasing. In this case, people should consider brands that offer free returns within a certain trial period.
Some companies also offer payment schemes, such as a monthly installment plan that allows customers to spread the full cost of the mattress over several months.
Mattress prices and availability frequently change due to sales and ongoing innovations.
The following are some common holiday dates when when brands typically host sales:
|Holiday||When?||What are the deals?|
|Presidents Day||Third Monday in February||This federal holiday usually sees the first sales of the year, as most people have a three-day weekend. Individuals should check for new discounts and coupon codes following the Christmas break. Discounts are typically available for many items and brands.|
|Memorial Day||Last Monday in May||This holiday is also generally a three-day weekend. It is one of the most common times to find discounts on mattresses. Discounts, promotions, and coupons are often available in retail stores or online.|
|Independence Day||July 4th||If Independence Day falls on a Friday through Monday, people may have a three-day weekend. Otherwise, a midweek holiday would typically occur. During this holiday, many brands will offer week-long sales.|
|Labor Day||First Monday in September||Some sales typically start on the Friday of Labor Day weekend and extend to the Monday. Discounts and coupons are often available in most retail areas.|
|Veterans Day||November 11th||Companies often start their holiday season promotions and sales on Veterans Day. Some companies may also offer specific discounts to current and former military personnel, so a person may find it beneficial to check brand and company policies for further information.|
|Black Friday||The day after Thanksgiving||Widely acknowledged as the true start to the holiday season, Black Friday is a consumer holiday that always begins the day after Thanksgiving. Most companies offer enormous discounts both online and in-store. This can also include price-matching offers.|
|Cyber Monday||Monday after Thanksgiving||Cyber Monday follows Black Friday but mostly concentrates on online sales. Many companies offer discounts and bundled offers.|
MNT chooses mattresses, sheets, pillows, and other bedding that meet the following criteria:
- Certifications: MNT will choose products that have CertiPUR-US or other certifications. This means that the products are low in pollutants and free from heavy metals and volatile organic compounds.
- Size: MNT chooses products available in various sizes.
- Materials and fill: MNT selects products made from different materials and fills, such as memory foam and latex, to suit a range of sleep and lifestyles.
- Budget: MNT features products to suit a wide range of budgets.
- Firmness: MNT selects mattresses that are available in a range of firmness options to suit most people’s sleeping styles.
- Sleep trials: MNT chooses companies that offer a sleep trial.
- Shipping: Where possible, MNT will include shipping information, such as where the company delivers and whether shipping is free.
- Warranties and return policies: MNT will include products with warranties and clear returns policies.
The following list is a sample of affordable mattresses starting from around $100.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Best hybrid: Linenspa Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress
- Price: $129.99-529.99
- Sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cal King
- Depth: 8, 10, or 12 inches (in)
This hybrid mattress combines an innerspring base with a memory foam pillow top, which offers support and comfort.
Learn about the best hybrid mattresses here.
It has a medium-firm feel and reportedly works with any bed base.
This mattress is available in a range of sizes. Customers can choose from 8, 10, or 12 in depth.
Linenspa offers this mattress as a bed-in-a-box option. It also comes with a 10-year warranty.
Best foam: Marley Memory Foam Mattress by Sleep Innovations
- Price: $189.99-499.99
- Sizes: Twin, Full, Queen, King, Cal King
- Depth: 8, 10, or 12 in
This mattress contains CertiPUR-US certified foam, indicating it meets rigorous health and environmental standards. The mattress is also hypoallergenic, making it suitable for people with allergies.
Learn about the best memory foam mattresses here.
Sleep Innovations claims that this mattress helps regulate body temperature, preventing overheating during sleep.
It features inbuilt edge support to help prevent sagging around the edges.
This model offers medium support and is suitable for all sleeping positions. The company also claims it is suitable for children.
This mattress is available in a range of sizes. Customers can choose from 8, 10, or 12 in depth. The Marley mattress comes with a 10-year warranty.
Best spring: Bonnell Spring Mattress
- Price: $150-230
- Sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cal King
- Depth: 6 or 8 in
This mattress features a Bonnell spring base for enhanced durability and support.
Learn about the best spring mattresses here.
It also contains a layer of green tea-infused CertiPUR-US foam, which the manufacturer claims helps prevent bacteria and odors.
The mattress has a medium firmness. As with other medium-firm mattresses, a person can add a mattress topper to adjust comfort levels.
Learn about the best mattress toppers here.
A range of sizes is available. Customers can choose between a mattress depth of 6 or 8 in. This mattress comes with a 10-year warranty.
Best for couples: The Allswell Mattress
- Price: $339-539
- Sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cal King
- Depth: 10 in
This hybrid mattress combines cooling memory foam with pocketed spring coils for support.
Allswell claims this mattress is comfortable and reduces motion transfer, which means movement does not travel across the mattress easily. This may suit light sleepers and couples.
Learn about the best mattresses for motion isolation here.
Customers receive a 100-night sleep trial, free shipping and returns, and a 10-year warranty.
A few things to consider when purchasing a mattress include:
- Sleeping position: A person’s sleeping position can cause pressure on different body parts, affecting the type of support they need from a mattress.
- Materials: A person should consider which materials they find most supportive and comfortable. For example, a person with allergies should opt for a hypoallergenic mattress, while a person who overheats during sleep may want to consider a breathable mattress with cooling properties.
- Firmness: People will have different firmness preferences when selecting a suitable mattress. In some cases, a person may be able to test the firmness of the mattress in-store or during a home trial period. Otherwise, a person should typically opt for a medium-firm mattress.
- Size: Mattresses usually come in various sizes, and individuals should choose a mattress that fits the intended bed frame.
- Noise: Mattresses with metal springs may be noisier than those without metal springs.
What to avoid
When purchasing a mattress, ensure that the materials are high quality. Low quality materials may mean that the mattress is less durable and will need replacing sooner, making it less cost-effective in the long term.
Learn how long a mattress should typically last, and when to buy a replacement, here.
People should also avoid purchasing from companies or brands that:
- have poor customer reviews
- have poor customer service ratings
- do not offer a sufficient warranty period
Below are some common questions and answers about affordable mattresses:
When is the best time of year to purchase a mattress?
In the United States, the best time of year to purchase an affordable mattress is during sales that happen around the following major holidays:
- Memorial Day
- Labor Day
- President’s Day
- Black Friday and Cyber Monday – the Friday and Monday after Thanksgiving
Comparing prices across different mattresses and retailers may help with finding discounts.
What other expenses may a person need to consider?
When purchasing a mattress, a person may also wish to consider the cost of additional items, such as:
- bed frames
- mattress toppers
- comforters and pillows
Another expense to think about is the disposal cost of an old mattress. However, some companies provide this service for free with the purchase of a new mattress.
Learn about how to recycle a mattress.
When should you get a new mattress?
According to the Sleep Foundation, most mattresses last between 6-8 years.
Some signs that a person should consider replacing their mattress include:
- noticing damage or sagging in certain areas
- noticing noisy springs
- experiencing an increase in allergies or asthma
- experiencing muscle or joint stiffness upon waking
- experiencing poor sleep
Mattresses can be a significant expense, but affordable options are available, especially during sale periods. Many companies also offer payment plans that allow customers to pay in monthly installments. Some also offer free trials, enabling customers to try a mattress before making a purchase.
When buying a mattress, a person should look for options that suit their firmness preferences and sleeping style. People may also want to check customer reviews to compare different mattresses on quality, durability, and comfort.