We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Mattresses can cost anything from $100 and upwards, depending on several factors. People can find mattresses in their price range online and in sales, while many companies offer deals and different payment plans.
This article looks at average mattress prices, finding an affordable mattress, and some of the best options online.
- Bed-in-a-box: Linenspa Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress
- Supportive: Olee Sleep Skyline Memory Foam Innerspring Mattress
- Spring-based: Best Price Bonnell Spring Mattress
- Hypoallergenic: Marley Memory Foam Mattress by Sleep Innovations
We list a range of mattress prices below by mattress type:
- Foam: Range from $250 to $4,000, with an average price of $1,000.
- Spring: Range from $300 to $3,000, with an average price of $900.
- Hybrid: Range from $250 to $2,000, with an average price of $1,000.
- Latex: Range from $300 to $4,000, with an average price of $1,500.
- Airbed: Range from $50 to $4,000, with an average price of $2,000.
However, these prices are just a sample, and some mattresses within these categories are available for $100–200.
When shopping for an affordable mattress, a person may wish to consider extra expenses, including:
- Shipping costs: Does the company include shipping costs? What kind of delivery is available?
- Base or bed frame: Will the new mattress fit an existing frame, or is a new one necessary?
- Box spring: Does the new mattress need one, or will it fit an existing one?
- Mattress cover: Does the company provide one?
- Sheets and blankets: Will existing bedding fit the new mattress?
Purchasing a mattress through an online retailer and choosing a home delivery can help keep additional costs down. However, buying online means people cannot test the mattress before they buy one. However, some brands offer free returns within a certain trial period.
Some companies also offer payment schemes, such as a monthly installment plan that allows customers to spread the full cost of the mattress over several months.
A few things to consider when purchasing an affordable mattress include:
- Sleeping position: A person’s sleeping position may affect the type of support they need from a mattress. This is because certain pressure points need support.
- Materials: An individual can consider which material they find most supportive and comfortable. People with allergies will want to avoid certain materials or choose a hypoallergenic mattress. Individuals who get too warm during sleep may also wish to consider a breathable fabric with cooling properties.
- Firmness: People will have different mattress firmness preferences that they find the most comfortable and supportive. Testing various options may help find a suitable firmness. If unsure, a person can opt for a medium-firm mattress.
- Size: Mattresses usually come in various sizes, and individuals should choose a mattress that fits the intended bed frame.
- Noise: Mattresses with metal springs may be noisier than those without them.
A person may wish to ensure the materials in the mattress they are purchasing are of high quality. Cheap materials may mean that the mattress is less durable and will need replacing sooner, making it less cost effective in the long term.
An individual should also check the company offers a sufficient warranty period for their mattress.
They can also research online reviews for brands to ensure they are reliable and provide good customer service.
Mattress prices and availability frequently change due to sales and ongoing innovations. The following list is a sample of affordable mattresses that start from around $100.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
How we chose
MNT chooses mattresses, sheets, pillows, and other bedding that meet the following criteria:
- Certifications: MNT will choose products that have CertiPUR-US or other certifications. This means that the products are low in pollutants and free from heavy metals and volatile organic compounds.
- Size: MNT chooses products that are available in various sizes.
- Materials and fill: MNT selects products made from different materials and fills, such as memory foam and latex, to suit a range of sleep and lifestyles.
- Budget: MNT features products that are available in a wide range of budgets.
- Firmness [only applicable to some products]: MNT selects mattresses that are available in a range of firmness options to suit most people’s sleeping styles.
- Sleep trials: MNT chooses companies that offer a sleep trial.
- Shipping: MNT will include shipping information, such as where the company delivers to and whether shipping is free.
- Warranties and return policies: MNT will include products that carry warranties and clear returns policies.
Best affordable bed-in-a-box mattress
This mattress combines an innerspring base with a memory foam pillow top, which offers support and comfort.
It has a medium-firm feel and reportedly works with any bed base.
Best supportive affordable mattress
An innerspring mattress featuring gel-infused memory foam and hollow fiber design, the Skyline Mattress is a plush yet supportive option.
Olee Sleep claims this mattress promotes proper back support while offering comfort.
This mattress may also help regulate temperature during sleep.
Best affordable spring-box mattress
This mattress features a Bonnell spring base, which is durable and provides support.
The CertiPUR-US foam has a green tea infusion to help prevent odors. The mattress has a medium firmness, and it is possible to add a soft mattress topper to adjust comfort levels.
This mattress comes with a 10-year warranty.
Best affordable hypoallergenic mattress
Sleep Innovations claims this mattress can keep a person cool during sleep by regulating temperature.
This model offers medium support and is suitable for all sleeping positions. The company also claims it is suitable for children.
Additionally, with CertiPUR-US certification, this mattress is hypoallergenic and features edge support.
The Marley mattress comes with a 10-year warranty.
The following are common questions and answers about affordable mattresses.
When is the best time of year to purchase a mattress?
In addition to looking out for sale events, note that some companies schedule their sales around major holidays in the United States, including:
- Memorial Day
- Labor Day
- Black Friday and Cyber Monday — the Friday and Monday after Thanksgiving
- President’s Day
Additionally, it is always helpful to shop around when looking for an affordable mattress and compare the options available with different retailers and mattresses.
What other expenses may a person need to consider?
An individual may also wish to consider the potential additional cost of bed frames, sheet covers, pillows, duvets, and mattress toppers.
Another expense to think about is the disposal cost of an old mattress. However, some companies provide this for free with a purchase of a new mattress.
When should you get a new mattress?
Most mattresses will last around 7 years before they may need replacing. After this time, they may become worn and ineffective at supporting the body properly during sleep.
People should also replace damaged, permanently soiled, or unsafe mattresses.
When choosing an affordable mattress, people can consider the features they need, including the mattress type, such as memory foam or innerspring.
Other things to think about include the level of firmness they require, general physical needs, and shopping preferences.
People can also look out for sales and compare options. Many companies offer different payment options, such as paying in monthly installments. Many mattresses also come with free trials and warranties, which can provide a way to try a mattress before committing to a purchase.