We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Air bikes are stationary bikes with arm handles and pedals attached to a large fan at the front, which provides wind resistance as the user pedals. The user’s pedaling action also moves the bike’s handles, providing an upper body workout. Air bikes may suit people who want to engage in high intensity exercise.
A quick look at the 7 best air bikes
- Best for multiple grip options: Schwinn Airdyne Pro
- Best for steel construction: Rogue Echo Bike
- Best for free shipping: AssaultBike Classic
- Best for a transportable bike: Sunny Health & Fitness Zephyr Air Bike
- Best for HIIT workouts: Octane Fitness Airdynex Bike
- Best for a more affordable bike: Body Rider BRF700 Exercise Fan Bike
- Best for a longer warranty: Xterra Air650 Air Bike Pro
This article discusses how to choose an air bike and some options to purchase online. It also looks at alternative exercise equipment and health considerations.
Medical News Today chooses fitness equipment that meets the following criteria:
- Price: MNT chooses products available for a wide range of budgets.
- Size and capacity: MNT selects products to suit people of different heights, weights, and strength.
- Connectivity: Where fitness equipment has fitness memberships or subscriptions, MNT ensures variation in classes and services that benefit a person’s health.
- Materials: MNT chooses products that have safe and durable materials that are easy to clean and maintain.
- Ease of use: MNT selects simple-to-use products that have clear instructions. If set-up is complicated, MNT chooses brands that offer a set-up or installation service.
- Quality: MNT chooses companies that adhere to high quality manufacturing processes that ensure its products are safe for personal use.
- Reputable: MNT chooses products from businesses that adhere to industry best practices and that offer reliable customer service and support.
People can consider the following factors before purchasing an air bike:
- Noise: Air bikes have a fan wheel that may produce some noise, especially if the person engages in high intensity interval training (HIIT). The bike’s chain or belt drive can also make some noise.
- Weight: Air bikes are available in different weights. People should choose one that suits their body weight.
- Construction: Some air bikes come with wheels, which may be useful if a person wants to move their bike frequently.
- Technology: Some air bikes have technology to monitor the user’s heart rate, distance traveled, duration of workout, and calories burned. Digital monitors may display workout statistics and training programs.
- Adjustability: Some air bikes have adjustable seats and pedals, allowing people to share or adapt exercise equipment.
- Add-ons: Some air bikes are compatible with other accessories, such as heart rate monitors and phone holders.
Below are some of the best air bikes available to buy online.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Best for multiple grip options: Schwinn Airdyne Pro
|Dimensions||42 x 20 x 52 inches (in)|
|Weight||113 pounds (lb)|
|Warranty||10-year frame, 2-year parts, and 6-month labor|
|Con||not as easily transportable as some options|
This air bike features a double-coated steel body construction and solid steel cranks. It has multiposition handles so that people can use a vertical or horizontal grip.
It has foot platforms that aim to reduce slipping and a large, padded seat for comfort.
There is also an LCD display that tracks distance traveled, duration of workout, and calories burned. The bike has nine workout options.
This bike weighs 113 lb and suits individuals with a maximum weight of 350 lb.
Learn more about Schwinn exercise bikes here.
Best for steel construction: Rogue Echo Bike
|Dimensions||58.88 x 29.88 x 52.75 in|
|Display||6 in LED console|
|Pro||steel construction for durability|
|Con||some reviewers found it difficult to assemble the handlebars|
This air bike features rubber grip handles that measure 1.5 inches (in) in diameter and provide rigidity. It also has an LCD console display that tracks the individual’s heart rate.
The bike has a belt-driven steel fan, metal pedals, and steel construction to prevent sways and bumps during use. The seat is adjustable.
Customers can also purchase compatible accessories, such as:
- a wind guard to reduce air blowback
- a phone holder
- a bottle cage compatible with Rogue bottles
- heart rate monitors
The bike weighs 127 pounds (lb) and supports riders who weigh up to 350 lb.
Best for free shipping: AssaultBike Classic
|Dimensions||50.95 x 23.34 x 50 in|
|Warranty||5-year frame and 2-year non-wear parts|
|Pro||free shipping in the contiguous United States|
|Con||some reviewers state that the handlebars do not feel secure|
This air bike comes with a heavy-duty steel frame and 20 sealed bearings. It has an adjustable sports seat with a steel pop-pin lock and adjustable leveling feet.
It has an LCD console with 7 onboard workout programs. Additionally, people can create their own programs.
The AssaultBike Classic has a weight of 95.64 lb and is suitable for people who weigh up to 300 lb.
Best for a transportable bike: Sunny Health & Fitness Zephyr Air Bike
|Dimensions||44 x 24 x 45 in|
|Warranty||3-year frame and 180-day parts|
|Pro||has wheels for easier transportation|
|Con||lower maximum weight capacity than some other options|
This air bike includes a performance monitor that tracks the rider’s workout duration, distance traveled, speed, and calories burned. There is also a device holder for phones or tablets.
It has rubber foam handles, non-slip adjustable pedals, and a wide padded saddle for support.
Transportation wheels make the bike easier to move.
The Zephyr Air Bike weighs 59.52 lb and has a weight capacity of 240 lb.
Best for HIIT workouts: Octane Fitness Airdynex Bike
|Dimensions||42 x 20 x 52 in|
|Display||high-contrast LCD monitor|
|Warranty||10-year frame, 3-year parts and electrical, and 6-month labor|
|Pro||comes with multiple HIIT workouts|
|Con||more expensive than some other options|
This air bike comes with the following high intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts:
- 20/10 intervals
- 30/90 intervals
- custom routines
The high-contrast LCD monitor also tracks calories, heart rate, and distance.
The Airdynex Bike weighs 113 lb and has a maximum user weight of 350 lb.
Best for a more affordable bike: Body Rider BRF700 Exercise Fan Bike
|List price||around $137|
|Dimensions||41.75 x 22 x 25.59 in|
|Display||built-in computer console|
|Warranty||1-year frame and 90-day parts|
|Pro||one of the most affordable options|
|Con||has a lower maximum user weight than some other options|
This bike has a built-in belt drive system for a quieter workout. The company states that the upright design engages a person’s arms and upper body for a more intense workout.
Other bike features include an adjustable seat, adjustable resistance knob, and an in-built computer console that tracks calories, distance, time, and speed.
The BR700 Exercise Fan Bike weighs 47.3 lb and has a maximum user weight of 250 lb.
Best for a longer warranty: Xterra Air650 Air Bike Pro
|Dimensions||48 x 28 x 54.5 in|
|Display||6.6 in LED console|
|Warranty||lifetime frame and 1-year parts and labor|
|Pro||has one of the longest warranties available|
|Con||more expensive than some other options|
This air bike has an upright position, which may help provide a full-body workout. It has 27 fans which may increase airflow.
Additional features of this bike include a 6.6 in LED console that tracks calories, time, distance, and speed and a heart rate monitor. The bike also has foot stands to provide a more stable workout.
The Xterra Air650 Air Bike Pro weighs 115 lb and has a maximum user weight of 350 lb.
The following table compares the air bikes in this article.
|Schwinn||42 x 20 x 52 in||113 lb||• 10-year frame|
• 2-year parts
• 6-month labor
|Rogue||58.88 x 29.88 x 52.75 in||127 lb||2-year limited||$845|
|AssaultBike||50.95 x 23.34 x 50 in||95.64 lb||• 5-year frame|
• 2-year non-wear parts
|Sunny Health and Fitness||44 x 24 x 45 in||59.52 lb||• 3-year frame|
• 180-day parts
|Octane Fitness||42 x 20 x 52 in||113 lb||• 10-year frame|
• 3-year parts and electrical
• 6-month labor
|Body Rider||41.75 x 22 x 25.59 in||47.3 lb||• 1-year frame|
• 90-day parts
|Xterra||48 x 28 x 54.5 in||115 lb||• lifetime frame|
• 1-year parts and labor
A 2019 systematic review notes that cycling may improve muscle strength and balance in children with cerebral palsy.
However, according to a
It is also worth noting that people who use home gym equipment may not experience the same health benefits as those who exercise outdoors. According to an older multistudy analysis, outdoor exercise may boost a person’s mood and self-esteem.
People may wish to consider other home gym equipment similar to air bikes, such as:
- Exercise bikes: These provide a low impact workout. Different types of stationary bikes, including upright and training bikes, are available.
- Recumbent exercise bikes: These may suit people who are new to working out, have a health condition, or are recovering from an injury.
- Rowing machines: These provide full body workouts, as they target more than one muscle group.
- Ellipticals: These offer a low impact workout and allow people to walk, run, or climb without putting too much pressure on the joints.
Here we answer some common questions.
How effective are air bikes?
Air bikes are a good way for a person to increase their physical activity.
Air bikes often allow people to work out their upper and lower bodies by pedaling and moving the handlebars.
Is an air bike or spin bike better?
Whether a person prefers an air or spin bike is their personal preference.
Air bikes change resistance by how hard a person pedals. The harder a person pedals, the more resistance the bike will create. People can also push and pull on the bike handles to help exercise the upper body.
A spin bike replicates the experience of cycling outdoors. Most models have static handlebars, and people change the resistance using a touchscreen or knob.
Do air bikes build muscle?
Air bikes can contribute to muscle building.
However, these pieces of equipment mainly provide cardio exercise.
Air bikes can be beneficial for people who want to engage in HIIT and exercises that do not put too much pressure on the joints.
People may wish to research different manufacturers before making a purchase. Reading online customer reviews can help people narrow their choices down to an option that best suits their needs.
Those with health conditions and people who are recovering from an injury should seek medical advice before using any home gym equipment.