We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Alcon manufactures Air Optix contact lenses to correct various vision conditions, such as astigmatism, nearsightedness, and farsightedness. However, these products may not be suitable for everyone, so a person needs to check with their doctor whether they can wear contacts.
This article explores the Alcon brand in more detail and the Air Optix contact lenses available for purchase. It also describes some health considerations associated with contact lenses and some alternative brands and products.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
Alcon is an eyewear company that has been in business since 1945.
The brand produces contact lenses under the Air Optix brand name, which includes multifocal and color enhancement lenses available for daily and extended wear as part of its range.
Alcon also offers disposable lenses in their Dailies range. These use SmarTears technology that provides moisture when an individual wearing them blinks. The company’s other products include eye drops and gels, while it also offers LASIK and cataract eye surgery for vision correction.
Alcon has an overall review rating of 1 out of 5 and an A+ grade with the Better Business Bureau, with people stating that the rebate program it offers does not work.
Optix-now is a website providing consumer guides for eyecare products. It gives Air Optix Aqua contact lenses a rating of 3.9 out of 5.
Positive reviews focus on the product’s benefits, mentioning that they:
- offer clear vision
- are comfortable to wear
- are easy to insert
- are affordable
However, according to negative reviews, Air Optix Aqua contacts:
- can irritate the eyes
- cause blurred vision
- are uncomfortable
The Air Optix website states that all its contact lenses come with SmartShield Technology. This shields the lens from irritating deposits, while a breathable material allows oxygen to flow through the lens.
People who sign up to the EyeFile System can benefit from a 1-month free trial, which offers the following:
- a pair of contact lenses
- a trial certificate
- news about special offers
- reminders for ordering replacement contacts
- help with managing eye care appointments
In addition, Air Optix offers a range of contact lenses, including the below.
These contact lenses are available as monofocal and multifocal lenses, and they protect the eyes from irritation while promoting hydration.
According to the company’s website, these contacts are suitable for people who have active lifestyles, play sports, or exercise regularly. Individuals can also use them to correct nearsightedness and farsightedness.
These are the only Air Optix contact lenses that a person can wear continuously for up to 30 nights, as they have approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). People should see a doctor before buying these types of contacts, as they can determine whether they are suitable.
These contact lenses are suitable for individuals with astigmatism.
The company states that their Precision Balance 8|4 Lens Design helps keep the lens in place when the eyeballs rotate, improving vision and preventing blurriness.
Individuals can use Air Optix Aqua for daily use or extended wear for up to 6 nights.
These contacts come in monofocal and multifocal options, and they have a silicone hydrogel design, which improves breathability and moisture. This reportedly results in white, healthy-looking eyes.
Air Optix Colors contacts are available with and without a prescription and allow individuals to enhance or change their eye color.
There are 12 colors available to choose from, including gemstone green, pure hazel, true sapphire, and starling gray.
Air Optix contact lenses are available online and in-store.
Customers may need to have an available prescription before ordering their eyewear, and they can choose a 6- or 12-month supply unless signing up for a free trial.
Many contact lens retailers have a refund and exchange policy, and they also accept insurance. However, people may wish to check in advance which services their insurance plan covers.
Contacts can be a safe and convenient method for correcting vision conditions. However, people need to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and handle their contacts with clean hands.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), up to
One study found that almost
- wearing contact lenses for longer than advised
- inserting or cleaning contacts with dirty hands
- storing the contacts in tap water instead of using an appropriate disinfecting solution
The American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) recommends the following when using contact lenses:
- ensuring lenses fit well and are comfortable
- replacing lenses as advised by an eye doctor
- removing lenses if they cause irritation
- avoiding using eye drops
- cleaning and disinfecting them to avoid eye infections
- attending regular eye exams
- removing contacts before showering or swimming
People should consult with their eye doctor if they experience any of the following, whether they have a current prescription or not:
- changes to their vision, such as blurring or dots
- red, swollen, dry, watery, itchy, or painful eyes
- headaches after reading, using a device, or driving
- an inability to read small print
Additionally, the AAO states contact lenses may not be suitable for individuals who:
- experience a lot of eye infections
- have severe allergies or dry eyes
- live or work in very dusty areas
- have difficultly caring for their lenses
With this in mind, a person can speak with an ophthalmologist or optometrist to determine whether contact lenses are suitable for them.
There are many other contact lens brands to choose from that offer similar products to Air Optix, such as:
- Acuvue: Includes a range of daily, 2-week, and monthly contact lenses. People can also choose their eyewear based on their eye condition, sensitivity, or environment. Learn more about Acuvue.
- Biofinity: Biofinity monthly disposable contact lenses feature a silicone hydrogel design, and people can wear them for up to 7 days in a row. They feature Aquaform technology, which allows a lot of oxygen to pass through the lens.
- Dailies: These are available for single-day use and are suitable for nearsightedness, farsightedness, age-related vision conditions, and astigmatism.
- Proclear: Offers multifocal lenses and lenses for astigmatism, while individuals can wear them for up to 16 hours during the day.
People can also improve their vision by wearing eyeglasses or trying alternatives to contacts, such as:
- LASIK: A procedure that can improve vision in people with astigmatism, nearsightedness, or farsightedness.
- Implantable contact lens (ICL) surgery: ICLs are soft, flexible lenses that a surgeon implants inside the eye, between the eye lens and the iris.
- Orthokeratology: Doctors also refer to this as corneal refractive therapy. People wear a rigid contact lens at night to help reshape the cornea and improve vision. It is most suitable for those with nearsightedness.
Alcon offers various Air Optix contact lenses that can correct vision problems, such as astigmatism. Some are also suitable for extended wear, but people should discuss whether these products are safe for them with their eye doctor first.
Individuals should ensure they remove their contacts before showering or swimming, while they also need to attend regular eye exams.
Additionally, they may wish to consider other brands that sell similar products and compare their services and product features before committing to a purchase.