We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Athletic Greens offers a dietary supplement, AG1, that provides nutrients that may improve everyday health. While there is evidence that some of the ingredients are beneficial, more research is necessary.
AG1 is a greens powder and dietary supplement available as a one-time purchase and via subscription. The company states that it combines multiple supplements into one easy-to-make powder. Each bag contains 75 vitamins, minerals, superfoods, probiotics, and more in a once-daily serving.
Additionally, the company is Climate Neutral Certified, is a part of the How2Recycle program, and partners with various organizations yearly to give back to local communities. Currently, Athletic Greens is partnered with No Kids Hungry, which provides grants to programs that feed children across the United States.
Before purchasing a subscription, people may wish to consider the following:
- is NSF certified for sport
- contains 75 high quality ingredients, including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and probiotics
- a convenient way to get nutrients
- travel-sized individual packs are available
- suitable for vegans, vegetarians, and individuals following a keto, paleo, low carb diet
- may contain ingredients or levels of ingredients that are not suitable for individuals on certain medications or taking other supplements
- limited scientific research about greens powders
- expensive product in comparison with competitors
Greens powder contains a variety of nutrients that may provide health benefits.
According to Athletic Greens, the product works in three ways:
- Replenishing nutrients: The company claims the AG1 greens powder fills nutritional gaps and maintains cellular health. It also states the combination of antioxidants, superfoods, and stress adaptogens can maintain nutritional balance in the body.
- Optimizing digestion: Reportedly, AG1 helps to optimize digestion because it contains prebiotics and probiotics. The powder is also highly absorbable, allowing the body to reap the benefits efficiently.
- Pairing nutrients: The company states that it maximizes the efficiency of ingredients by pairing them appropriately. The company says this allows the nutrients to work cohesively rather than independently.
According to the company, individuals who consistently use AG1 may experience benefits within days, although for some, it may take weeks or even longer.
To use AG1, a person must mix 1 scoop with 10 ounces of cold water.
Athletic Greens claims the formula contains 75 vitamins, minerals, and whole-food sourced ingredients.
Vitamins and minerals
Vitamins and minerals are essential for the body to maintain good health.
AG1 contains 17 vitamins and minerals, including:
- Vitamin A: This vitamin is essential for vision, epithelium, and immune health. There is also
some evidencethat vitamin A has cancer-preventive properties.
- Vitamin C: The body uses vitamin C to
help supportskin, mucus membranes, blood vessels, and bone health.
- Niacin: Niacin, or vitamin B3, can
help decrease the risk ofcardiovascular events, premature aging, and some age-related conditions, such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and arthritis.
- Folic acid: Although the main benefit of this vitamin is to
help promotea healthy pregnancy, folate also plays an important role in red blood cell production. Folic acid can treat vitiligo and reduce inflammation.
- Copper: This mineral helps produce energy, maintains connective tissue, protects against anemia, and helps the nervous system function properly. A deficiency in this mineral
may lead toan increased risk of cardiovascular disease and Alzheimer’s disease. However, there is very little evidence of this link in humans.
- Zinc: This mineral can help
reduce the riskof age-related macular degeneration. There is some evidence that zinc can help prevent or reduce symptoms of the common cold and type 2 diabetes, but more research is necessary.
- Selenium: This mineral
may havesome benefits, such as helping prevent cancer, cardiovascular disease, cognitive decline, and thyroid disorders. However, more research is necessary.
- Potassium: This mineral
can helpprotect bone health. While more research is necessary, it may also help protect against hypertension, stroke, and kidney stones.
Discover our top picks for vitamin brands.
Athletic Greens states it uses a superfood complex, and the phytonutrients in this complex may help support the body’s microbiome.
Superfoods are food rich in nutrients. While there are real health benefits of many superfoods, it is important to note that there is no clear definition of what a superfood is.
Some superfoods in AG1 include:
- Spirulina: Spirulina has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It may also have a
positive effecton conditions such as hyperglycemia and obesity.
- Broccoli flower: This plant is
rich in various vitamins, high in fiber, and can help protect heart, eye, and immune health.
- Papaya: This fruit may
help reduceoxidative stress, which can result in inflammation, premature aging, and some types of cancer.
- Wheatgrass: Wheatgrass is high in antioxidants, which
may help protect againstoxidative stress and reduce the risk of certain conditions.
The company uses Bifidobacterium bifidum and Lactobacillus acidophilus in its formula.
Discover the best probiotics to buy online.
Plant extracts and antioxidants
Athletic Greens uses several plant extracts and antioxidants in its formula, including:
- Ashwagandha root extract: This plant
may help improvesymptoms of insomnia and reduce symptoms of stress and anxiety.
- Rosemary leaf extract: Rosemary
hasanti-inflammatory and neuroprotective properties.
- Alkaline pea protein isolate: Pea protein
hasantioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antihypertensive properties.
Discover the best pea protein powders.
Enzyme and mushroom complex
AG1 has an enzyme and mushroom complex that contains shiitake and reishi mushroom powder.
Shiitake mushrooms may have properties that protect against cardiovascular diseases, whereas reishi mushroom
While there is currently no research on the benefits of AG1, there have been some studies on other greens powders.
Greens powder contains a variety of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and probiotics. Many of the ingredients in AG1 are research-backed to provide short- and long-term benefits, including protecting against cardiovascular diseases and age-related conditions.
Athletic Greens claims that people may experience the following benefits when using the supplement:
- After 30 days: improved digestion and energy levels, bowel regularity, and less cravings
- After 60 days: comfortable digestion, reduced irritability, and improved concentration, focus, energy, and skin appearance
- After 90 days: an overall feeling of wellness, plus improvements in recovery time, alertness, metabolism, and signs of aging
However, it is important to note that there has been no independent or published research proving these claims.
AG1 is not a substitute for eating a balanced diet. People should always try to get their recommended daily intake of nutrients from a diet rather than using supplements.
Using a dietary supplement that contains vitamins and minerals can lead to a person consuming too much. This can lead to side effects, some of which can seriously harm health.
It is always important to discuss taking any new supplements with a healthcare professional before making a purchase.
People can purchase AG1 through Athletic Green’s website.
The company offers its supplements as a one-time purchase or as a subscription.
A one-time purchase costs $99. People will receive one pouch of AG1 containing 30 servings.
There are two subscription options: single and double. Both options ship monthly, have a 90-day money-back guarantee, and have the ability to pause or cancel the subscription at any time. A single subscription costs $79 and contains 30 servings, whereas a double subscription costs $150 and contains 60 servings.
If a person chooses to subscribe, their first subscription will come with a free starter kit of a premium jar and shaker.
Canceling a subscription
A person can cancel their subscription at any time. They can do this by logging into their account or by contacting the customer service team directly.
People can also make changes to their subscription, such as delivery date or frequency, at any time.
There are very limited customer reviews for AG1.
At time of publication, Athletic Greens has only one review on Trustpilot.
This review awards the company the full 5 stars and states they experienced health benefits and that the company has good customer service.
At time of publication, the Better Business Bureau gives the company a B- grade. Two reviews give the company an average of 1 out of 5 stars.
One reviewer states that the company created their password and said they could not change it, making them feel unsafe. The other says the company created an unauthorized subscription.
Athletic Greens is one of several companies that offer greens powders. Below, we compare AG1 with some competitors.
|Cost per serving||$2.50–$3.30||around |
• plant extracts and antioxidants
• mushrooms and enzymes
|• organic greens blend|
• organic antioxidants and superfood blend
• organic cleanse and detox blend
• organic fiber and digestion blend
• organic adaptagen
|• superfood, antioxidant, and mushroom blend|
• natural herbs and extracts
• digestive complex
• probiotic blend
|Certifications||NSF for Sport||—||—|
Here, we answer some common questions about this supplement.
Is Athletic Greens actually helpful?
There are currently no published studies on whether the AG1 greens powder actually works.
However, the formula contains various vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and probiotics with real health benefits.
What are the side effects of Athletic Greens?
AG1 does not mention any possible side effects on the company website.
However, there are risks of the greens powder interacting negatively with prescription or nonprescription medication. People should always check with a healthcare professional before starting a new supplement.
Does Athletic Greens balance hormones?
According to AG1, after 90 continuous days of using the greens powder, a person may experience improvements to hormone health. This is due to the vitamins and minerals included in the formula.
However, there is no evidence to back up this claim.
Athletic Greens’ AG1 supplement is a greens powder that contains 75 ingredients that may benefit health. It includes vitamins, minerals, superfoods, probiotics, and mushrooms. However, it is more expensive than comparable products.
While greens powders can help fill nutritional gaps, it is important not to use them as a substitute for a nutritious diet. Ingredients in supplements can negatively interact with prescription and nonprescription medication.