We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Balance by BistroMD is a meal delivery service that aims to help people eat more balanced meals.
The company tailors meals to an individual’s preferences and specific dietary needs.
This article discusses the advantages and disadvantages of Balance by BistroMD and explains how the service works.
Balance by BistroMD offers pre-prepared meals. Customers can select the amount and type of meals they want on any schedule that works for them.
Unlike some other meal delivery services, Balance by BistroMD is not a subscription service. The meals do not arrive at regular intervals.
With Balance by BistroMD, people opt for as many meals as they want, whenever they want. After ordering, the meals arrive within a few days.
Customers can choose breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks. Meal prices vary, but most cost about $5.99 to $13.99 each.
Balance by BistroMD offers a wide variety of foods on each of its custom menus.
People with special dietary needs can filter their meal options by health goal.
Some examples include:
- Gluten-free: Examples of gluten-free meals include chicken cordon bleu and chicken, rice, and cheddar casseroles.
- Diabetes-friendly: Examples include apple cinnamon oatmeal with scrambled eggs, and avocado bagels with egg and tomatoes.
- Heart-healthy: Examples include chicken spinach meatloaf with tomato glaze, and dark chocolate coconut bars.
- Low sodium: Examples include bacon cheeseburger meatloaf with yuca fries, and BBQ beef with cheddar sliders.
- Low carb: Examples include bagel sandwiches with egg, roast beef, and pepper jack, and baked pasta marinara with chicken sausage.
- Menopause-friendly: Examples include beef stew with Burgundy wine, and broccoli cheddar-stuffed chicken.
- Dairy-free: Dairy-free examples include roasted tofu and ancient grain salad, and Moroccan lentil and sweet potato stew.
- Mediterranean: Meals following the Mediterranean diet include cranberry orange multigrain cereal with ham and grilled chicken marsala.
- Vegetarian: Meal examples include raspberry chipotle roasted vegetable bowl, and stuffed shells with vodka marinara sauce.
It is important to note that although BistroMD has options they classify as vegetarian, many of these meals contain fish and seafood, which means they are not actually suitable for vegetarians.
People following a strictly plant-based diet may find that Balance by BistroMD offers limited options.
Although BistroMD claims that some of its options may offer benefits for certain people or specific diets, there is no objective research or studies to support these health claims.
The benefits of Balance by BistroMD include the following:
- Convenience: Meals require almost no preparation, little planning, and no cooking. They only need heating. This can save time, especially if a person uses the service to replace most of their meals.
- Adaptability: The service offers a wide variety of meal options. Also, users do not have to sign up for a membership or purchase a set number of meals each week.
- A predictable menu and budget: People who choose to buy most of their meals using this service may have a more consistent menu and budget as they will know which dishes they like to buy and how much each meal will cost. This means a person can better estimate how much they will spend on their meals each week.
The drawbacks of Balance by BistroMD include the following:
- No subscription service: Users have to remember to order meals, which may be difficult for people with busy schedules who want regular meals.
- Meals are not fresh: As with any meal delivery service, there is a risk that the meals may not arrive fresh. The
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)recommend checking the temperature of all food and discarding anything that has been warmer than 40ºF (4ºC) for longer than 2 hours.
- Price: These meals can be expensive, especially when compared with other meal delivery services. However, users who buy fresh produce and high quality protein may still save money, as grocery store prices can also be high.
- Limited plant-based options: Most “vegetarian” meals include fish, and there are no strictly vegan meals. Learn more about vegetarian meal delivery service options.
Balance by BistroMD claims to provide healthy, nutritionally balanced meals. The company suggests that its meals offer the following health benefits:
- Meals to suit different health needs and requirements: Balance by BistroMD offers a range of meals tailored to special dietary needs, including heart-healthy, low fat, and low sodium options. Meals can also be gluten-free, dairy-free, low carb, and diabetes-friendly. Learn more about low carb meal delivery services.
- A more balanced, varied diet: The company uses a wide variety of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins, potentially helping a person to follow a balanced diet with more nutritious foods than they might otherwise eat.
- Weight loss: Some older
2015 researchsuggests that eating portion-controlled meals may help a person lose weight. People who rely primarily on Balance by BistroMD may eat fewer calories and more nutritious meals, supporting weight loss. However, there is no evidence to suggest that using Balance by BistroMD will specifically aid weight loss.
- Eating fewer high sodium and sugar ingredients: The company offers low sodium and low sugar plans tailored to a person’s health goals and dietary needs. However, it is important to note that eating lots of fruit also adds a lot of sugar to an individual’s diet.
BistroMD’s health claims have no support from objective research or studies specifically focusing on the brand. There is no evidence to suggest that BistroMD meals offer any particular health benefits.
People should consult a doctor or dietitian before making major changes to their diet, particularly if they are trying to lose weight or have chronic health issues.
Balance by BistroMD delivers to the continental U.S. using FedEx. It does not deliver to Hawaii or Alaska.
Deliveries can take up to 7 business days to arrive. BistroMD states there is a 1–2 day processing period and 2–5 delivery period.
The standard shipping costs $19.95. Each order is trackable and arrives in recyclable packaging.
When deliveries arrive, BistroMD writes there may still be some dry ice left in the box. This helps keep the contents cool.
It is important that individuals use gloves or other protective material to handle it and store it in an open room with good ventilation until it dissipates.
Some potential alternatives to Balance by BistroMD include:
- Nutrisystem: Nutrisystem focuses on weight management and offers meals specifically tailored to suit various dietary needs. Learn more about Nutrisystem.
- Seattle Sutton’s: Seattle Sutton’s offers dietitian-prepared meals to help people lose weight and eat a more balanced diet. Learn more about Seattle Sutton’s.
- Daily Harvest: Daily Harvest offers plant-based meals, including smoothies. It is a suitable alternative for people who want more breakfast and on-the-go options. Learn more about Daily Harvest.
Some users may also choose to subscribe for a short time to get meal ideas, then replicate those meals at home.
Below are answers to some of the top questions about Balance by BistroMD.
What is the difference between BistroMD and Balance by BistroMD?
BistroMD focuses on weight loss, while Balance by BistroMD focuses on maintaining a moderate weight and healthy lifestyle.
Can I choose my meals on BistroMD?
BistroMD allows people to choose their meals, filter them according to their dietary preferences, and customize their plans.
How many calories are in a BistroMD meal?
Most meals contain 240–400 calories each, while snacks are usually between 100–220 calories.
Balance by BistroMD helps reduce meal preparation and shopping time. It may benefit people who choose to replace most of their meals with the delivery service.
As with all meal plans and major diet changes, users should consult a doctor or dietitian beforehand, particularly if they are trying to lose weight or have chronic health issues.