We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
The Beautyrest Black line is the premium mattress collection from the Beautyrest brand, who are a part of the Serta Simmons company.
This article looks at the different Beautyrest Black mattresses available, some alternative options, and how mattresses may affect sleep quality and overall health.
Founded in 1925, Beautyrest are one of the main brands in the Serta Simmons company.
Beautyrest currently sell two main mattress lines on their website: Beautyrest Black and Beautyrest Harmony.
All their mattresses come with a 100-night sleep trial and a 10-year limited warranty.
The Beautyrest brand market the Black line as their luxury mattress collection. These are the most expensive of the Beautyrest mattresses.
According to mattress review sites and customer reviews, the benefits and drawbacks of the Beautyrest Black mattresses include:
- Motion isolation helps prevent people from waking up due to their partner’s movements.
- Cooling properties help prevent overheating while sleeping.
- They are available in different levels of firmness.
- They are durable.
- They use CertiPur-US certified foam, which means that they do not contain any harmful chemicals or heavy metals.
- They are compatible with an adjustable base.
- Sagging and dips seem to occur within a few years of buying these products, which may result in back pain and discomfort for sleepers.
- There seems to be a lack of transparency about the materials the mattresses contain, which could suggest the use of low density and lower quality materials.
- The mattresses may only work with certain bases.
- Serta Simmons appear to only honor warranty claims if customers adhere strictly to care instructions.
- These mattresses may not be suitable for customers with overweight.
All Beautyrest mattresses come with a white glove delivery service. They are not suitable for flipping.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried any of these products. All information presented here is purely research-based.
Features of the Beautyrest Black mattress include:
- medium firm
- 13-inch (in) mattress height
- BlackICE cooling technology, which uses silver and SilkAIR fiber to draw heat away from the body
- edge support for stability
- pocketed coils for support, durability, and motion isolation
- plush, comfort, and gel memory foam layers
- pressure relief for the hips and shoulders
For people looking for extra cooling features, they can choose a Cooling upgrade at extra cost. This upgrade uses RightTemp memory foam infused with carbon fiber to conduct heat away from the body.
The Cooling + Comfort upgrade includes a plush pillow top and gel foam to provide extra pressure and comfort. It also uses RightTemp memory foam to regulate temperature, providing up to 20% cooler sleep than the original.
Beautyrest Black Hybrid
Features of the Beautyrest Black Hybrid mattress include:
- medium firm
- 13.5-in mattress height
- BlackICE cooling technology, with a cool-to-touch fabric cover and cooling surface materials
This mattress contains high density, cooling memory foam to draw heat away from the body. This memory foam also adapts to the body, providing pressure point relief for the hips and shoulders.
The hybrid model contains pocketed coils with three strands of steel wound into one coil. This provides support, energy absorption, motion isolation, and durability.
People can also add additional features with the Comfort upgrade and Comfort + Pressure Relief upgrade options.
Other Beautyrest mattresses include those in the Beautyrest Harmony line.
For example, the Beautyrest Harmony mattress is a cheaper option than the Beautyrest Black mattresses. It comes with Cooling + Comfort upgrade options.
The Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon is available in extra firm, medium, or plush. People can also add a plush pillow top for extra comfort. The Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond, meanwhile, is available in medium or plush.
Some features of the Harmony Lux products include:
- pressure-relieving gel memory foam
- coil support system
- cooling technology
- sustainable fabrics
For people looking for an alternative brand, mattress review sites have compared the Beautyrest Black line with Saatva mattresses, with Saatva often receiving more positive reviews for customer service.
Overall, reviews suggest that Saatva products have a lower price range and more firmness levels. Saatva also offer a longer sleep trial and warranty period.
The International Chiropractors Association recommend looking for the following features in a mattress:
- wrapped coils
- edge support
- high quality, natural fiber coverings
A 2015 review looked at the effects of soft, medium firm, firm, and custom-inflated mattresses on spinal pain and alignment. It suggests that a medium firm, self-adjusted mattress may be the best option for spinal alignment, sleep quality, and comfort.
The type of material in a mattress may also affect pressure points when sleeping.
A 2017 study compared a latex mattress with a polyurethane mattress for pressure distribution. The researchers looked at three different sleeping positions in 20 participants when lying on each mattress for 6 minutes. They found that the latex mattress resulted in more even pressure distribution in different sleeping styles than the polyurethane mattress.
The Beautyrest Black line offers a selection of premium mattresses from the Beautyrest brand.
Positive customer reviews focus on cooler and better quality sleep, while negative reviews report eventual sagging and poor durability.