We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
A bed in a box refers to a mattress that a person can order online and have shipped directly to their home. Manufacturers usually produce these mattresses using memory foam, latex, innerspring coils, or a combination.
- For hip and lower back support: Casper Original Mattress
- For a hybrid mattress: DreamCloud
- For personalization: Helix hybrid
- For an eco-friendly memory foam mattress: Bear Original Mattress
- For an eco-friendly hybrid mattress: Birch Natural Mattress
- For back pain: Casper hybrid models
When a person buys a mattress from a showroom, they are usually ready to sleep on straight away. A bed in a box is a mattress that is rolled up and vacuum-sealed in a box. Individuals unpack the mattress, unroll it, and leave it to air for the time the manufacturers recommend before using it.
Compared to conventional store-bought mattresses, bed-in-a-box models may offer the following benefits:
- lower prices and no sales fee
- a convenient online shopping experience
- free delivery
- sleep trials
Not all brands will offer these benefits, so it is important to compare before purchasing a product.
The shipping process involves compressing mattresses and vacuum-sealing them into compact containers. This does not necessarily affect the quality of the mattress.
Several types of mattresses are available to buy online, including:
- Foam: This type of mattress usually contains several layers of memory foam, including a support and comfort layer. Foam mattresses are available in all kinds of firmness feels.
- Hybrid: This type of mattress contains foam and a layer of coils. Hybrid mattresses can usually hold more weight than other types, and the coils offer more airflow, making the mattress cooler. Hybrid mattresses are available in most levels of firmness.
- Latex: Natural atex comes from rubber tree plants. It is usually more durable than other mattress types and is available in either organic or synthetic forms.
- Airbed: Airbed mattresses allow for customization, allowing people to add or take away air from the mattress chambers to change the firmness and level of support this product offers.
Sleeping on a suitable mattress is important for supporting healthful sleep.
People may wish to consider several factors when purchasing a bed in a box, including:
- Size: It is important to buy the correct mattress size for a person’s bed frame. People should also consider whether they are sleeping next to another person, as they may require more space.
- Construction: Some mattresses may have reinforced sides that prevent people from sliding to the edge. Others have motion-isolating technology that may promote more restful sleep.
- Cooling capabilities: People who tend to overheat while sleeping may benefit from cooling mattresses.
- Type of mattress: Individuals who require extra pressure relief may prefer to purchase a memory foam mattress, while hybrid mattresses can support more weight, and the coils give additional support to the body.
- Firmness: Most companies will describe the firmness of the mattress it sells. While firmness is subjective, mattresses are available in soft, medium, firm, or a mixture of two feels.
- Sleeping style: Memory foam mattresses may benefit people who sleep on their sides, whereas hybrid mattresses may suit those who sleep on their backs or are combination sleepers.
- Certifications: People may wish to purchase mattresses with a CertiPUR-US certificate. This certification means that the mattress does not contain any hazardous materials. Other people may choose mattresses that contain organic materials.
Many companies sell beds in a box online. However, because it is not possible to try out these mattresses in a showroom before purchasing, they may wish to buy products from companies that offer a sleep trial and an easy-to-understand warranty and returns policy.
Companies may offer a sleep trial. After purchasing, people can use the mattress for a specific period. If a person is not happy with their purchase, they can return or exchange the mattress.
Some companies may offer lifetime warranties, whereas others may only cover mattresses for several years. Therefore, it is important to consider how long a person wishes to use a mattress and choose a company that offers the best warranty.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is research-based.
The following mattresses are suitable for all types of sleepers:
The Original Casper mattress consists of three support zones. The top and bottom zones contain moderately firm foam that allows the shoulders and legs to sink.
The middle zone has extra firm foam that supports the hips and lower back. All three zones help keep the spine in proper alignment throughout the night.
The Original Casper mattress is suitable for all sleepers and those who want comfortable support and a cooling bed.
Casper also offers a few extra benefits, including:
- 0% APR financing
- free shipping
- contact-less delivery
- 100-night sleep trial
The DreamCloud consists of multiple gel memory foam layers that contour to the body. A layer of individually wrapped coils ensures that vibrations do not travel across the mattress, which reduces movement-related sleep disturbances.
The conventional foam base supports the coil and memory foam layers above it. The cashmere topper gives the mattress a soft feel while diffusing body heat through the coil layer.
The DreamCloud mattresses meet CeriPUR-US content, emissions, and durability standards. This means that the foams used in DreamCloud products do not contain:
- ozone depleters
- certain flame retardants, such as polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs)
- mercury, lead, and other heavy metals
- plastics chemicals regulated by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
DreamCloud mattresses come with a lifetime warranty and a 365-day sleep trial. Consumers can try a mattress, and if they are unsatisfied, they can return it within 1 year.
Some people may prefer a mattress that can adapt to their unique sleeping style:
The Helix sleep quiz asks for a person’s age, weight, preferred sleep position, and history of back pain and recommends the optimal mattress model based on their answers.
Helix offers six base models that customers can upgrade to Luxe versions and one specially designed model to support people of size. Every Helix mattress contains a mixture of breathable memory foam and individually wrapped coils.
Designed for side sleepers, the Sunset, Midnight, and Twilight models have supportive top and middle layers that relieve pressure points.
Made with Helix dynamic foam that contours to the body, the Moonlight, Dusk, and Dawn models are ideal for back and stomach sleepers and sleeping partners with different mattress preferences.
All Helix mattresses come with free shipping, a 10-year warranty, and a 100-night sleep trial.
The production of mattresses can require the use of many materials and chemicals. Choosing an eco-friendly mattress can reduce the impact on the environment:
Bear utilizes CeriPUR-US certified foams and a water-based bonding solution that result in environmentally conscious mattresses with no chemical smell.
The Bear Original Mattress is an all-foam mattress that conforms to the body while supporting the spine’s natural curvature. It also contains a layer of cooling graphite-gel memory foam that helps dissipate unwanted body heat.
All Bear mattresses come with a 100-night sleep trial.
Birch — Helix’s sister brand — offers an environmentally friendly hybrid mattress made from organic wool and natural latex.
This mattress consists of five layers wrapped in a breathable cover made of organic cotton:
- The top-most layer contains a blend of natural wool fibers and rayon, which form a plastic-free fire-retardant layer.
- The next layer, made of birch wool sourced from free-range farms in New Zealand, molds to the sleeper’s body and dissipates heat.
- The natural latex layer cushions and supports pressure points.
- The support layer contains reinforced steel coils that provide extra support while absorbing movement.
- The entire mattress sits on an organic wool batting that provides stability and durability.
Birch mattresses come with a 100-night sleep trial, free shipping, and a 25-year warranty.
One systematic review found that medium-firm mattresses self-adjusted for individual preferences may help relieve back pain and improve spinal alignment.
People who experience back pain can help improve symptoms by choosing a mattress designed to improve spinal alignment and ease pain.
Casper offers the Nova and Wave hybrid mattresses, which provide extra support and relieve back pain.
Both models come with the three-zone support layer used in the original Casper mattress, alongside a topper layer made of perforated foam. This increases airflow to keep sleepers cool throughout the night.
Both mattresses sit on a hybrid foam and spring base that provides additional lift and airflow.
The Nova hybrid model has four extra support zones that provide added support and pressure relief under the shoulders, waist, lower back, and hips.
The Wave hybrid has a layer of ergonomic memory foam with gel pods that support the waist and lower back. This mattress keeps the spine aligned in any sleeping position. It is ideal for people who frequently experience back pain.
Some people may prefer the in-store experience over online shopping.
People who do not want to give up their current bed may want to try a mattress pad or topper. These provide extra cushioning, but they also help protect the mattress from water, dust, and dirt.
Mattress toppers are thicker than pads. A mattress topper usually made of memory foam, latex, or organic fibers provides support and comfort.
Here are some frequently asked questions about bed-in-a-box mattresses.
How long can a mattress stay in the box?
People should take the mattress out of its box as soon as possible. If a person takes their mattress out of the box and notices any damage or defects, they can contact the company and arrange a refund or an exchange.
Can a mattress go back in its box?
Companies vacuum seal mattresses to ship them to purchasers. Once a person receives their mattress, they will take it out of the box and leave it to inflate.
Putting a mattress back into its box may be possible. People will need a mattress bag with a seal that is the right size for their mattress. Once the mattress is in the bag, a person can vacuum all the air out. Then, they can roll the mattress up and store it away.
How long until the mattress is ready to sleep on?
Each company or manufacturer will include information on how long it takes for a mattress to inflate. However, most mattresses should take around 24 hours to reach their full size.
People can sleep on their mattresses straight away. However, they might have a more comfortable night’s sleep if they let the mattress inflate fully.
Bed-in-a-box mattresses are affordable and convenient alternatives to conventional store-bought mattresses. Many manufacturers of bed-in-a-box mattresses offer free-shipping, contact-free delivery, and no-hassle return policies.