We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Is CBD legal?The 2018 Farm Bill removed hemp from the legal definition of marijuana in the Controlled Substances Act. This made some hemp-derived CBD products with less than 0.3% THC federally legal. However, CBD products containing more than 0.3% THC still fall under the legal definition of marijuana, making them federally illegal but legal under some state laws. Be sure to check state laws, especially when traveling. Also, keep in mind that the FDA has not approved nonprescription CBD products, and some products may be inaccurately labeled.
Psoriasis causes skin and sometimes nail changes. The affected areas may be flaky, itchy, and sore. Applying certain lotions can help alleviate the symptoms.
- Best for calming the skin: +PlusCBD CBD Balm | Skip to review
- Best for stress-related flare-ups: Absolute Nature CBD Full-Spectrum CBD Oil Drops | Skip to review
- Best pharmacist formulation: Calm by Wellness Hemp CBD Lavender Lotion | Skip to review
Many manufacturers now include cannabidiol (CBD) in creams and lotions. CBD and other ingredients in these products may benefit people with psoriasis.
Read on to learn more about how CBD may help with psoriasis, the products above, and alternative treatments.
Hemp and cannabis are types of Cannabis sativa plants. They both contain CBD and many other cannabinoids, including tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). The hemp plant generally contains more CBD, and the cannabis plant contains more THC.
THC produces the “high” that people typically associate with cannabis, so CBD alone does not cause a high.
Some CBD products contain small amounts of THC. Others contain CBD isolate, so they contain no THC.
The following table looks at some common CBD terminology that may help someone new to CBD products navigate different options.
|A compound within the C. sativa plant that does not create the high sensation individuals commonly associate with cannabis use.
|A compound in the C. sativa plant. It is the psychoactive compound that creates the high sensation from cannabis use.
|A full-spectrum product will contain all of the natural compounds in the cannabis plant, including THC. However, THC levels must be no more than 0.3% to comply with Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulation on full-spectrum CBD products.
|Broad-spectrum products contain natural compounds of the cannabis plant. However, while manufacturers remove all or most of the THC in broad-spectrum CBD, it may still be present in trace amounts.
|This is the purest form of CBD and should contain 0% THC.
|The compounds within the cannabis plant, of which there are
|Another compound of the C. sativa plant, terpenes typically give plants their specific aromas. Some terpenes, such as limonene, may have specific health benefits.
|Certificate of analysis (COA)
|Reputable manufacturers of CBD products should ensure a COA is available for inspection. A COA provides information on the third-party testing that independent labs conduct on a particular product. Sometimes, products have a scannable smartphone code directing people to the COA online.
Read more about terminology and other important CBD information here.
Some research indicates that CBD may benefit people with psoriasis
Additionally, a 2019 review found that CBD may have therapeutic potential for people with this condition.
People with psoriasis may find that topical treatments, such as lotions, serums, and ointments, can relieve some symptoms. Whichever product an individual chooses, they always need to follow the manufacturer’s dosage instructions.
Medical News Today’s methodology
Medical News Today chooses products that meet the following criteria:
- Ingredients: MNT chooses products containing safe and high quality, clearly labeled ingredients. They should also confirm they are free from pesticides, heavy metals, and mold.
- Dosage: MNT chooses products that must clearly state the CBD dosage and THC content.
- Serving size: MNT selects products in which manufacturers recommend a dosage and how to take it.
- Third-party labs: MNT chooses products that undergo third-party testing for contaminants by an ISO 17025-compliant laboratory.
- Available certificate of analysis: MNT chooses companies that demonstrate transparency and share a product’s certificate of analysis (COA) after receiving its third-party lab results.
Below are some high quality options that may help alleviate symptoms of psoriasis.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more.
Best for calming the skin: +PlusCBD Extra Strength Balm
- Price: $34.99
- Key ingredients: sweet almond oil, beeswax, willow bark extract, green tea extract, peppermint oil
- CBD type: full-spectrum
- CBD amount: 100 mg per 1.3 ounces (oz)
- Dosage: the manufacturer recommends using this product liberally on the skin as necessary
This product contains no fragrances, dyes, polyethylene glycols, sulfates, parabens, phthalates, or pesticides, minimizing the risk of skin irritation. Additionally, it also reportedly contains a range of botanical ingredients to soothe the skin — an important factor that people with psoriasis may wish to prioritize.
The company claims the willow bark extract can soothe irritated skin and deliver skin-refreshing minerals. Its beeswax is a triple-action moisturizer, which works as a humectant to draw moisture from the air to the skin. It also works as an emollient to moisturize the skin directly and as an occlusive, meaning it creates a barrier to seal moisture in.
According to +PlusCBD, the safflower seed oil may also reduce the occurrence of dry skin, and the balm’s jojoba oil esters help with absorption. Research shows they also have
However, it contains beeswax, making it unsuitable for those following a vegan lifestyle.
- no dyes, fragrances, parabens, or sulfates
- contains a wide range of natural ingredients
- may soothe the skin
- provides a range of moisturizing ingredients to improve dry skin
- unsuitable for vegans
- difficult to measure the CBD dose
- the product’s soothing effects may mainly come from its botanical ingredients over its CBD
Best for stress-related flare-ups: Absolute Nature CBD Full-Spectrum CBD Oil Drops
- Price: $59.99
- Key ingredients: MCT oil
- CBD type: full-spectrum
- CBD amount: 500 mg per 30 mL
- Dosage: 1 mL per day
Psoriasis flare-ups can develop due to stress, and the National Psoriasis Foundation states that stress management is an important factor in managing the condition. This CBD oil aims to promote relaxation and a sense of calm. These may help people manage stress levels to reduce the occurrence or severity of flare-ups and itching.
Absolute Nature recommends this product to people requiring lower but more regular CBD doses, as it contains a moderate dose of 19 mg of CBD per mL.
The Department of Agriculture certifies the oil as organic, and its makers say that it is free from heavy metals, pesticides, solvents, and genetically modified ingredients. It is also vegan-friendly.
- suitable for vegans
- may help manage stress and reduce stress-related flare-ups
- suitable potency for regular doses
- contains just CBD and coconut MCT oil
- some people may not want to ingest CBD
- unsuitable for people with a coconut allergy
- full-spectrum CBD can produce positive drug test results
Best for dry and itchy skin: Calm by Wellness Hemp CBD Lavender Lotion
- Price: $35.99
- Key ingredients: organic aloe leaf juice, coconut oil, jojoba seed oil, and lavender flower water and oil
- CBD type: broad-spectrum
- CBD amount: 200 mg per 118 mL bottle
- Dosage: dime-sized amount
Calm by Wellness recommends this lavender lotion for soothing dry and itchy skin. Among its wide range of natural ingredients, broad-spectrum CBD, organic aloe leaf juice, coconut oil, jojoba seed oil, and lavender flower water and oil work to soothe dry and itchy skin.
It is reportedly THC- and GMO-free. Calm by Wellness recommends a person speaks with a healthcare professional before using this product to improve skin conditions.
- recommended for dry and itchy skin
- contains a wide range of natural and organic ingredients
- easy to use
- people can apply it directly to problem areas
- unsuitable for people with a coconut or sunflower allergy
- difficult to measure CBD dose
- low number of reviews online
People need to carefully research the CBD products they want to buy, as the FDA does not regulate them before they go on sale. The agency has not approved any CBD oil for medical use besides Epidiolex, which treats rare and severe forms of epilepsy.
The following are important factors to consider:
- Potency: Some CBD products are very potent and are typically unsuitable for people trying CBD for the first time. Stronger products may also act faster and have more noticeable effects and side effects.
- Dose: People buying CBD need to stick to the recommended dosage a company recommends. They can start with the lowest dose possible and work up to test their tolerance for the product. If side effects occur, they need to reduce their dose or stop using the product.
- Ingredients: Some CBD brands use very simple formulas to make CBD products. In some cases, they will only contain CBD and MCT oil. However, others will have additional ingredients to make the product taste or smell pleasant. Buyers should check their chosen CBD product does not contain any ingredients they are allergic or sensitive to.
- THC content: THC can show up on drug tests, so people who need to take regular tests may wish to avoid products containing THC. Companies
cannot sellproducts containing over 0.3% THC, and people generally need to avoid products that contain more than this amount.
- Health claims: Buyers need to avoid products from brands making unsupported health claims or advertising their products as cures for health conditions.
- Third-party testing: People should only buy products that have gone through third-party testing to verify that they only include the ingredients on the labeling.
- Reviews: Reading customer reviews can be helpful in determining whether a product is as effective as a company claims.
The table below provides a snapshot of how the best CBD products for psoriasis compare.
|• sweet almond oil
• willow bark extract
• green tea extract
• peppermint oil
|100 mg per 1.3 oz
|500 mg per 30 mL
|Calm by Wellness
|• aloe leaf juice
• coconut oil
• lavender flower water
• lavender flower oil
• jojoba seed oil
|200 mg per 118 mL
People need to consult a healthcare professional before using CBD. The
These “silent” risks include liver injury and interactions with various medications. Also, the FDA notes that experts are unsure about the cumulative effects of using several CBD products at once.
More noticeable CBD side effects can include:
- changes in alertness, such as drowsiness
- changes in mood, such as irritability and agitation
In rare cases, a person may experience an allergic reaction to a topical CBD product. Anyone who notices unusual symptoms, such as swelling, should stop using the CBD product and seek emergency medical help.
Anyone looking for a natural alternative to CBD for psoriasis might consider a product that contains:
- Aloe vera: A
2019 reviewsuggests that this may relieve symptoms of psoriasis.
- Turmeric: Turmeric contains curcumin,
which hasanti-inflammatory, antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. This means that it might help with psoriasis.
- Lavender oil: A
2018 reviewhighlights many benefits, including anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Arnica flower: An
older review from 2017suggests that this has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
A 2022 study writes that people with psoriasis may benefit from replacing saturated fatty acids in their diet with polyunsaturated fatty acids from the omega-3 family. The authors write this is due to their anti-inflammatory benefits. That said, 2021 research states that while clinical studies have demonstrated the benefits of nutritional omega-3 on psoriasis, scientists do not yet understand how it works.
People can speak with a doctor if home remedies for psoriasis are not working.
Anyone with severe psoriasis should seek advice from a dermatologist. They may prescribe corticosteroid medication to suppress the immune system and reduce inflammation.
Additionally, anyone who experiences heightened skin irritation following the use of any home remedy should seek professional medical advice as soon as possible.
Below, we answer some common questions about using CBD for psoriasis.
Will CBD oil help with psoriasis?
While some research suggests CBD may help psoriasis, more scientific studies are necessary.
Does the skin absorb CBD?
While the skin absorbs much of a product, it may not absorb all of the CBD content. CBD combines readily with fats, plenty of which are in the skin’s top layer. Some CBD may stay in the top layer only.
Topical CBD products often have ingredients that help the skin absorb CBD.
Do doctors recommend CBD oil for psoriasis?
Currently, most doctors will not recommend CBD oil for treating psoriasis. Though initial research and anecdotal evidence suggest that it may help alleviate psoriasis symptoms, further studies are necessary and will help confirm this.
Can CBD oil worsen psoriasis?
There is currently no research that suggests CBD oil can aggravate psoriasis. However, people need to read ingredient lists carefully and ensure they do not use products containing ingredients that can irritate their skin.
To alleviate the symptoms of psoriasis, such as itchiness or soreness, a person may consider a CBD product because CBD has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Other natural ingredients, such as aloe vera gel, may also help, and some products contain a range of these ingredients.