We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Anyone who gets overheated during the night might consider a cooling comforter, which can help regulate the body’s temperature.
This article discusses the health benefits of temperature regulation during sleep and a range of cooling comforters available online that may help a person stay cool overnight.
A quick look at the 9 best cooling comforters
- Best hypoallergenic: Brooklinen Lightweight Down Comforter
- Best weighted blanket: Baloo Weighted Comforter
- Best comforter for summer: Joss & Main Lightweight Summer Down Alternative Comforter
- Best for temperature regulation: Slumber Cloud Cumulus Comforter
- Best plant-based material: Buffy Breeze Comforter
- Best wool comforter: Ave Maria Alpaca Comforter
- Best free shipping and returns: Casper Humidity Fighting Duvet
- Best down alternative: Linenspa Reversible Microfiber Comforter
- Best organic comforter: Avocado Green Alpaca Duvet Insert
Temperature regulation may be key for sleep. According to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, being too hot or cold during the night can interrupt sleep, reducing overall sleep quality.
As the National Institutes of Health (NIH) observe, improving the quality of sleep can provide the following benefits:
- improved concentration
- quicker reflexes
- better problem-solving skills
- improved mood
- reduced risk of depression
- improved immune system function
- improved cardiovascular health
- reduced risk of obesity, heart disease, and infections
If a person tends to feel too hot during the night, cooling bedding, such as a comforter, can help draw heat away from the body, potentially improving sleep quality.
When choosing a cooling comforter, it can help to consider the item’s materials, weight, and effects on the environment.
OEKO-TEX certification also signifies that the company has ethical working practices and uses sustainable materials.
If a person is sensitive to dust, dust mites, pet dander, mold, or other allergens, it may help to choose a comforter that contains materials that may be naturally antimicrobial, such as wool.
Manufacturers sometimes treat other fabrics so that they are resistant to allergens.
Weighted blankets are filled with pellets or glass beads and can weigh up to 30 pounds (lb).
They apply pressure that stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, helping the body enter a state of relaxation instead of engaging in a fight or flight response.
Autistic people and people with certain mental health conditions, such as anxiety, may engage in fight or flight responses more often. In this case, weighted blankets may help foster a sense of calm before sleep.
Others may also benefit from the calming effects of weighted blankets.
One older 2008 study into the effects of deep pressure stimulation during sleep, using weighted blankets, found that participants who used the blankets experienced reduced levels of anxiety and cited the blanket as their preferred method of calming down.
A newer 2020 review agrees that weighted blankets may help to reduce anxiety.
Anyone interested in a weighted blanket should research suitable weights and ensure, for example, that their chosen weight is appropriate for any children who may use the blanket.
A few things a person may wish to consider when purchasing a cooling comforter include:
- Material: The materials in a cooling comforter should be lightweight and breathable. A person may also wish to consider any allergies and material preferences.
- Certifications: Some companies may have environmental certifications such as OEKO-TEX and CertiPUR-US. This declares that they follow certain safety and/or environmental regulations.
- Cost: A person should consider their budget before looking to purchase a comforter. There are various good-quality options on the market at different price ranges.
- Size: A person should check the dimensions of the product before purchasing to ensure it will fit comfortably on their existing bed.
MNT chooses mattresses, sheets, pillows, and other bedding that meet the following criteria:
- Certifications: MNT will choose products that have CertiPUR-US or other certifications. This means that the products are low in pollutants and free from heavy metals and volatile organic compounds.
- Size: MNT chooses products that are available in various sizes.
- Materials and fill: MNT selects products made from different materials and fills, such as memory foam and latex, to suit a range of sleep and lifestyles.
- Budget: MNT features products to suit a wide range of budgets.
- Firmness: MNT selects mattresses that are available in a range of firmness options to suit most people’s sleeping styles.
- Sleep trials: MNT chooses companies that offer a sleep trial.
- Shipping: Where possible, MNT will include shipping information, such as where the company delivers to and whether shipping is free.
- Warranties and return policies: MNT will include products that carry warranties and clear returns policies.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Below are 9 of the best cooling comforters currently available to buy online.
Best hypoallergenic: Brooklinen Lightweight Down Comforter
Price range: $189–369
This lightweight comforter is designed for hot sleepers.
The fill is recycled European down, and the 100% cotton sateen outer layer has an antimicrobial treatment to ensure it is hypoallergenic.
If a person wishes to use this comforter inside a duvet cover, each corner has loops to connect it with the cover.
- available in three weight options
- contains recycled down
- has Down Association of Canada certification
- down may not be suitable for those with allergies
- spot or dry clean only
Best weighted blanket: Baloo Weighted Comforter
Price range: $219–269
This weighted blanket comes in weights ranging from 15–25 lb. A person can choose between two sizes across these weight options, queen and king.
According to Baloo, its weighted comforter is cool all year round in every climate.
The comforter is made of 100% cotton exterior and interior layers and is weighted with glass microbeads in the center of the comforter. The company writes that it is free from polyester material so keep the comforter cool to sleep under.
- only weighted in the middle to increase comfort
- natural materials
- carbon neutral manufacturing process
- weighted blankets may not be comfortable for everyone
- 15–25 lb weight is not suitable for children
Best comforter for summer: Joss & Main Lightweight Summer Down Alternative Comforter
Price range: $72–88
This has a microfiber cover and polyester fill and may suit people who want to avoid down fillings.
The company says that this comforter is made for use in the summer, but it may also suit hot sleepers throughout the year, providing breathability and temperature regulation.
It comes in twin, queen, and king sizes.
- has OEKO-TEX certification
- comes in three sizes
- no information regarding warranty
- may not be as soft as down bedding
Best for temperature regulation: Slumber Cloud Cumulus Comforter
Price range: $159–219
According to the manufacturer, this comforter contains Outlast technology originally developed for use in the United States space program. It contains phase-change materials that absorb and release heat as a person’s body temperature changes.
The aim is to control the temperature and humidity of the “microclimate” between the mattress and top layer of bedding.
According to the company, this comforter’s filling replicates the feeling of natural down. A person can choose from a regular or lightweight variety. The cover is 100% cotton.
- Outlast technology has NASA approval
- OEKO-TEX certification
- only one color option
- no weight options
- more expensive than other models
Best plant-based material: Buffy Breeze Comforter
Price range: $239–279
This product is made from plant-based materials. This includes a cooling TENCEL cover and filling.
The company claims that the TENCEL lyocell fiber absorbs moisture more efficiently than cotton. This helps to keep a person cool during the night.
- provides a 7-night free trial
- ships in a recyclable box
- more expensive than many competitors
- no color options
Best wool comforter: Ave Maria Alpaca Comforter
Price range: $269–449
According to the company, this hypoallergenic comforter is made up of 100% premium quality alpaca wool. The outer cover is 100% cotton.
Ave Maria states that the product regulates body temperature well and will absorb 35% of the comforter’s weight in moisture. This means it is naturally breathable and moisture-wicking.
- cruelty-free manufacturing process
- natural materials
- no color or weight options
Best free shipping and returns: Casper Humidity Fighting Duvet
Price range: $359–459
Casper offers free shipping and returns as well as a 30-night trial for this product. A person can choose between a mid-weight or lightweight option.
Casper states this comforter contains ethically sourced down and the outer layer comprises cotton and a layer of merino wool. The company states that merino wool is naturally moisture-wicking so helps to regulate body temperature.
It contains sewn-in chambers to keep the down in position.
- two weight options
- machine washable
- only one color option
Best down alternative: Linenspa Reversible Microfiber Comforter
Price range: $29.99–69.99
This product is made from quilted microfiber material. Linenspa states that the feel is the same as goose down but will not contain allergens. The outer cover is made from polyester.
This comforter is also made with loops at each corner to attach to a duvet cover if a person chooses.
A person can choose between a range of sizes— from twin to California king — and a selection of seven colors.
- plenty of size and color options available
- free shipping and returns
- no weight options
Best sleep trial: Avocado Green Alpaca Duvet Insert
Price range: $279–499
This comforter contains natural alpaca fiber fill. The outer layer is 100% GOTS organic certified cotton percale. It is available in two weights: lightweight or all season.
The company states that the materials are breathable and thermoregulating, making it suitable for hot sleepers.
Users can trial this comforter for 100 nights.
- two weights to choose from
- 100-night trial
- free shipping
- 1-year warranty
- uses animal-derived products
|Price range||Fill material||Cover material||Warranty||Sleep trial|
|Brooklinen||$189–369||down||cotton sateen||1 year||no|
|Joss & Main||$72–88||polyester||microfiber||–||no|
|Slumber Cloud||$159–219||fiber fill||cotton||180 days||60 nights|
|Buffy Breeze||$239–279||TENCEL lyocell fiber||TENCEL||lifetime||7 nights|
|Ave Maria||$269–449||alpaca wool||cotton||–||no|
|Casper||$359–459||down||cotton and merino wool||1 year||30 nights|
|Avocado Green||$279–499||alpaca fiber||cotton percale||1 year||100 nights|
Various types of cooling bedding are available. Cooling pillows are made from materials that promote temperature regulation, and cooling mattresses are designed to increase airflow and draw heat and moisture from the body.
For a more powerful effect, a person might try a cooling mattress pad, which contains water, air, or cooling foam to moderate temperature throughout the night.
A person’s sleep environment can influence how hot they are while they sleep. A person can consider adjusting air-con settings or using fans to circulate cool air around the room overnight, or invest in cooling bedding.
If a person is experiencing night sweats, they should consider talking to a doctor to determine the cause and discuss possible treatments.
Night sweats can happen even if a person’s sleep environment is cool. Night sweats can also be called sleep hyperhidrosis.
According to the American Osteopathic Association (AOA), a person should consider seeing a doctor for night sweats if:
- they happen regularly
- they disturb sleep
- they cause worry or distress
- other symptoms are present, such as a fever
Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about cooling comforters.
What is the fluffiest cooling comforter?
The fluffiest comforters usually contain down material. These comforters may not be suitable for people with allergies. However, many companies now create down alternatives, which they claim provides the same comfort as down filling.
Why does my down comforter make me sweat?
Down comforters can trap heat rather than allow air to circulate through the material. Down filling can also trap moisture, which may make a person’s sleep environment feel humid.
A person should check the information the company provides regarding the cooling materials and technology it uses in its down comforters. People can choose down comforters that are made with cooling materials, such as cotton. A person can also consider purchasing products from brands that offer sleep trials with its products.
What kind of comforter is best for hot sleepers?
A lightweight comforter made with breathable fabric is the most suitable type of comforter for hot sleepers. Some natural fabrics, such as cotton, can be more breathable than synthetic materials like polyester.
A person should look for a comforter that promotes air flow through the layers, temperature regulation, and wicks moisture from the skin.
A cooling comforter may represent an accessible and relatively affordable way to stay cool throughout the night, regulating heat and humidity levels within the bed.
Temperature regulation can promote unbroken, high-quality sleep, which may, in turn, lead to health benefits such as improved concentration and immune system function.