We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Being too hot can disrupt a person’s sleep and prevent them from waking up feeling refreshed. If a person finds that this happens regularly, purchasing a cooling mattress may be useful.
- For customizable firmness: Saatva Classic
- For all sleeping positions: Nest Bedding Alexander Signature Hybrid
- For an odor-reducing mattress: Zinus 12 Inch Gel-Infused Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress
- For a hypoallergenic mattress: Purple Original
- For a firm mattress: American Mattress Company Graphite Infused Memory Foam Mattress
- For back pain: GhostBed Luxe
- For side sleepers: Helix Midnight
Throughout the sleep-wake cycle, the body’s core temperature
Being too hot can disrupt sleep, including deep sleep, which a person needs to wake up feeling refreshed. Any disruptions may have noticeable effects the following day.
If this is a persistent issue, a person might need to take steps to cool down at night. For example, they can consider purchasing a cooling mattress that may help regulate the body’s temperature.
People who want to purchase a cooling mattress may wish to consider the following aspects.
- Price: People should consider their budget when buying a mattress. Many companies offer a range of mattresses that suit most budgets. However, mattresses with cooling technology may be more expensive.
- Mattress type: The most common mattresses are foam, spring, and hybrid. Foam mattresses contour to the body’s shape and may provide extra pressure relief and support, whereas spring mattresses tend to be cooler, as they allow extra airflow. Hybrid mattresses combine foam and springs and offer extra support and airflow.
- Firmness: Mattresses come in a range of firmnesses. The most common firmness level is medium firm, which suits most sleepers. However, firmness is subjective, and people should purchase whichever mattress they find most comfortable.
- Warranty: People may wish to consider buying a mattress from a company that offers a warranty. Many companies also offer a sleep trial. People can purchase a mattress and return it within a certain timeframe for a refund if it is not suitable or satisfactory.
During a heatwave, or even on a regular summer night, getting enough quality sleep may seem impossible. For those looking to invest, a cooling mattress might help. Some top options might include the following.
This is a hybrid mattress that consists of a coil innerspring system and a memory foam top layer.
According to the manufacturer, it contains individually wrapped coils and a cotton cover, which reportedly helps promote airflow. A person can choose their level of firmness.
The company also claims that the product is suitable for people with back and joint pain and for those who sleep in any position.
According to the manufacturer, the individually wrapped coils and material in this mattress help regulate temperature, aiming to keep the body cool.
The company also says that its mattress is suitable for people who sleep on their side, back, or stomach.
This mattress contains memory foam packed with green tea, a cooling gel, and charcoal.
The manufacturer also claims that the charcoal and green tea in the mattress can help eliminate odors.
According to the company, this mattress is hypoallergenic, and it features a distinctive grid of air channels.
These reportedly promote cool sleep while providing support for the shoulders, hips, and back.
According to the manufacturer, the graphite infused in its mattress’s memory foam helps keep the body cool.
It says that the mattress is firm and consists of a 6-inch (in) high density foam base for support, topped with 2 in of graphite infused memory foam.
The manufacturer states that the mattress also has an aerated surface to allow heat to disperse.
This mattress contains gel memory foam, aiming to help relieve pressure and back pain.
The company says that the following features help the body stay cool:
- ghost ice fabric, which is cool to the touch
- cooling fiber
- thermosensitivity technology that senses heat and adjusts to regulate temperature
This mattress is suitable for side sleepers.
The company says that the mattress’s breathable cover helps keep the body cool, while the combination of springs and memory foam provides airflow for temperature regulation.
A person might also wish to try the following strategies, which come from the American Sleep Apnea Association.
- Keep the windows closed at night if the inside of the house is cooler than the outside.
- Use cotton sheets.
- Take a cooling shower or bath before bed.
- Avoid consuming alcohol close to bedtime.
- Try using a frozen, gel-filled eye mask.
- For a short-term fix, freeze the bedding in a plastic bag during the day.
- Fill a rubber hot water bottle with cool water, keep it in the freezer, and place it in the bed before going to sleep.
- Place a pan full of ice in front of a fan to cool the air.
When a person sleeps, the brain cycles through rapid eye movement (REM) and non-REM stages.
Non-REM sleep comes first, and it involves:
- a brief transition period into sleep
- light sleep, wherein body temperature drops and breathing, heart rate, and brain waves slow
- deep sleep, which a person needs to feel refreshed
Next comes REM sleep, which is when the eyes move rapidly behind the eyelids, and brain waves resemble those of someone who is awake. Breathing increases, and the body is temporarily paralyzed.
During an average night’s sleep, the body cycles through these stages a few times, gradually spending more time in REM sleep and less time in non-REM sleep.
The authors of one
Below are some frequently asked questions about cooling mattresses.
Which type of mattress is coolest?
The most common types of mattresses are foam, spring, and hybrid. Spring and hybrid mattresses tend to be cooler because the springs allow extra airflow. Foam mattresses are denser and can be hotter.
However, many companies sell foam mattresses that have air channels and cooling gels, which can promote cooler sleep. People should carefully consider the construction and materials of a mattress before purchasing.
Are there any other ways to keep a mattress cool?
Cooling mattresses can be expensive. People may wish to consider purchasing a cooling mattress pad if they already have a mattress that does not need replacing.
Another option is to purchase a cooling blanket. Many cooling blankets use moisture-wicking material that may help prevent overheating and promote more restful sleep.
Can I flip a cooling mattress?
People can flip certain mattresses. A manufacturer will state whether or not a mattress is suitable for flipping.
Some mattresses are only useable on one side because of the layers inside. For example, many mattresses will have a comfort layer on the top and a support layer on the bottom. In these cases, flipping the mattress means that a person will not be sleeping on the comfort layer.
Having a high body temperature can interfere with the progress and flow of sleep cycles, keeping a person from sleeping well and waking up feeling refreshed.
However, there are various strategies and products that may help people reach a comfortable temperature for sleep.