We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Fiber is a complex carbohydrate that the human body cannot digest. It has numerous health benefits. People usually get fiber from food but can also take fiber supplements.
- Best overall: Bellway Super Fiber + Fruit
- Best organic: Renew Life Superfood Organic Prebiotic Fiber
- Best wheat dextrin supplement: Benefiber Original
- Best raw fiber supplement: Garden of Life Raw Organic Fiber
- Best for constipation: Fibercon
- Best flavor: Metamucil Sugar-Free Orange Smooth Powder
- Best gummies: Vitafusion Fiber Well Fit Gummies
- Best fiber prebiotic: Thorne FiberMend
How we chose the best fiber supplements
Medical News Today chose products that fit the following criteria where possible:
- Price: Products are suitable for a range of budgets.
- Benefits: Each product provides a sufficient amount of fiber to benefit a consumer.
- Dietary needs: Different ingredients and formulas to address allergies and other dietary requirements.
Many foods contain fiber, but especially good sources of fiber
- whole grains
There are two types of fiber: insoluble and soluble. Both types of fiber can benefit health.
Insoluble fiber does not dissolve in water, and this helps food pass through the digestive system. Insoluble fiber can help promote regular bowel movements. Foods such as brown rice, legumes, cauliflower, and spinach contain insoluble fiber.
Soluble fiber does dissolve in water. This type of fiber can help lower blood sugar levels and
Both types of fiber can help with bowel regularity, but they may also
Fiber may also aid in weight management. A
Fiber also provides the body with prebiotics. Prebiotics are substances that feed the “good” bacteria in the gut.
According to the Harvard School of Public Health, the recommended daily fiber intake per day is 20–30 grams (g). However, many people in the United States only consume around 15 g. A fiber supplement may help people who find it difficult to eat more fiber. However, fiber supplements are not a substitute for a balanced diet.
Adding more water alongside increased fiber intake
The supplement market is not heavily regulated, and companies can make unsubstantiated claims. A person should discuss with a doctor whether a product is right for them.
This article includes products that use fiber types that have research-backed health benefits and that are thoroughly vetted by our team for medical credibility, good business practices, and social impact.
The following products are some of the best fiber supplements. Please note that the author of this article has not tried these products.
Best overall: Bellway Super Fiber + Fruit
- List price: around $29.99
- Servings: about 50
- Dosage: 1–2 rounded scoops into at least 8 ounces (oz) of water
Bellway uses organic psyllium husk, a soluble fiber. According to the company website, it could help maintain heart health, foster a healthy gut microbiome, and relieve bloating.
Bellway Super Fiber + Fruit is plant-based, gluten-free, sugar-free, and does not contain aspartame. It is made using real fruit.
Best organic fiber: Renew Life Superfood Organic Prebiotic Fiber
- List price: around $22.99
- Servings: about 30
- Dosage: 1 scoop stirred into water
Renew Life Superfood Organic Prebiotic Fiber includes whole fruits and vegetables, such as spinach and kale, in its formula to give it some antioxidant power. It uses resistant tapioca dextrin, a soluble fiber, to mix into water or smoothies with a citrus flavor.
As with many types of fibers, tapioca dextrin is keto-friendly. It is also gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free.
Best wheat dextrin supplement: Benefiber Original
- List price: around $16.91
- Servings: about 38
- Dosage: 2 teaspoons (tsp) into 4–8 oz of fluid 3 times a day
Benefiber is a wheat dextrin fiber supplement. Wheat dextrin is an extract from wheat starch and is a type of soluble fiber.
Benefiber Original is free from gluten and sugar. It has no taste.
A person can purchase Benefiber in premeasured single-serve sachets. This may make it easier for people to take to work or on trips.
Best raw fiber supplement: Garden of Life Raw Organic Fiber
- List price: around $36.99
- Servings: 30
- Dosage: 1 scoop added to water
Garden of Life Raw Organic Fiber is an organic fiber supplement. According to the product website, the supplement can help:
- relieve occasional constipation
- support a healthy balance of gut flora
- maintain regular bowel movements
- support heart health
- maintain healthy blood sugar management
- keep cholesterol levels within an already healthy range
This fiber supplement contains organic ingredients such as quinoa sprout, pumpkin seed sprout, raw organic stevia leaf, and coconut flour. People can find the complete list of ingredients on the product’s label.
The product is unflavored and gluten-free. It’s also suitable for a vegan, paleo, or keto diet.
It contains ingredients that may benefit the gut and overall health, including probiotic bacteria and omega-3 fatty acids.
Garden of Life Raw Organic Fiber contains no psyllium, so it may be a suitable option for those sensitive or allergic to psyllium.
Best for constipation: Fibercon
- List price: around $22.29
- Servings: 70
- Dosage: 2 caplets
Fibercon may help to relieve constipation and help maintain regular bowel movements. According to the product label, a bowel movement typically occurs 12–72 hours after taking Fibercon.
Fibercon contains calcium polycarbophil (CPC), a synthetic compound that acts as a bulk-forming laxative in the body. CPC absorbs water and travels through the body undigested, adding bulk and moisture to stools.
Fibercon’s inactive ingredients include:
- magnesium stearate
- microcrystalline cellulose
- polyethylene glycol
- silicon dioxide
- sodium lauryl sulfate
Fibercon contains no chemical stimulants or preservatives. People should not take this product for longer than 7 days without consulting a doctor.
Fibercon comes with a choking warning. People will need to take each dose with 8 oz of water and avoid taking the product if there is any difficulty swallowing.
Best for flavor: Metamucil Sugar-Free Orange Smooth Powder
- List price: around $29.48
- Servings: 90 or 180 (depending on whether a person takes 1 or 2 teaspoons)
- Dosage: 1–2 tsp stirred into 8 oz of water
Metamucil Sugar-Free Orange Smooth Powder is a gluten-free, orange-flavored powder containing psyllium husk fiber. Taking the product without enough fluid may cause choking.
- psyllium husk
- citric acid
- natural and artificial orange flavor
- yellow 6
According to the product website and data collected from a Metamucil survey of people using their products, the supplement can help control appetite, maintain healthy blood sugar levels, and lower cholesterol.
Research from 2021 suggests that adding psyllium husk to an eating plan can have benefits for lowering cholesterol, reducing obesity, and preventing cancer.
Further research states psyllium husk may also minimize the risk of cardiovascular problems and reduce constipation.
However, anyone with an allergy or sensitivity to psyllium should avoid this product.
Best fiber gummies: Vitafusion Fiber Well Fit Gummies
- List price: around $13.49
- Servings: 45
- Dosage: 2 gummies
Vitafusion Fiber Well Fit Gummy Vitamins may be a good fiber option for people with difficulty swallowing powders or caplets. The gummies are sugar- and gluten-free with natural peach, strawberry, and berry flavors.
The gummies contain gelatin, so they may not be suitable for vegetarians or vegans. Vitafusion Fiber Well Fit Gummies also contain:
- less than 2% blend of oils — coconut, palm, or both — with beeswax or carnauba wax or both
- colors — annatto extract, blueberry and carrot concentrates, and purple carrot juice concentrate
- malic acid
- natural flavors
- tree nuts — coconut
One serving, which is two gummies, provides 5 g of fiber alongside six B vitamins:
According to the product website, the soluble fiber in the gummies helps support gut flora and digestive health and helps to maintain regular bowel movements.
Best fiber prebiotic: Thorne FiberMend
- List price: around $40
- Servings: about 30
- Dosage: 1 scoop added to 8–10 oz of water, juice, or other beverage
Thorne FiberMend is a powder containing soluble prebiotic fiber. It contains:
- green tea phytosome (decaffeinated)
- hydrolyzed guar gum
- larch extract
- pectin (apple)
- rice bran
The product is free from gluten, dairy, soy, and artificial flavorings or colors.
The product website states that Thorne’s FiberMend helps to maintain healthy blood sugar levels, promote regularity, and support digestive function.
Below is a table comparing the best fiber supplements.
|Price||Size||Cost per serving||Servings per container||Serving size||Form|
|Bellway||$29.99||13.7 oz||$0.60||about 50||1 scoop (8 g)||powder|
|Renew Life||$22.99||7 oz||$0.77||about 30||1 scoop (6.6g)||powder|
|Benefiber||$16.91||5.4 oz||$0.42||38||2 teaspoons (4g)||powder|
|Garden of Life||$36.99||28.32 oz||$0.91||30||1 scoop (about 27g)||powder|
|Fibercon||$22.29||140 caplets||$0.32||70||2 caplets||caplets|
|Metamucil||$29.48||36.8 oz||$0.27 or $0.13||90 or 180 |
(depending on whether a person takes 1 or 2 teaspoons)
|Vitafusion||$13.49||90 gummies||$0.30||45||2 gummies daily||gummies|
|Thorne||$40||11.6 oz||$1.33||about 30||one scoop (11 g)||powder|
Some things a person may wish to consider when looking to purchase a fiber supplement include:
- Cost: A person may wish to consider their budget for a fiber supplement and choose accordingly. People may wish to work out the cost per serving so they can determine the best value for money.
- Form: Many fiber supplements are available as powders. However, there are also some caplet or gummy options. Some individuals may find caplets or gummies more convenient or prefer them over the taste of a powder.
- Ingredients: Some ingredients have differing benefits. For example, psyllium husk may have cholesterol-lowering benefits among others. Therefore, a person may wish to consider their own needs and find a supplement that may benefit them.
- Brand: People should ensure the brand they purchase from are safe and reputable. Reputable brands will have a USP or ConsumerLab label. They should also state that the product is made in the United States.
Sudden changes to the amount of fiber a person consumes can cause digestive symptoms, such as gas and bloating. A person who wants to try a fiber supplement can test out a small amount first and then gradually increase the dosage to avoid side effects.
Fiber does not help everybody with bowel regularity or digestive symptoms. People with digestive conditions, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), may find that their symptoms worsen when they take a fiber supplement. Some types of fiber can irritate the gut lining.
A person with any preexisting condition should consult their doctor before trying a new supplement. According to Benefiber, children under 6 years old and people who are pregnant or nursing should also check with a doctor before taking a supplement.
Here are some common questions surrounding fiber supplements:
What is dietary fiber?
Fiber is the part of plants that cannot be digested and is required for optimal health. Foods such as whole grains, vegetables, and fruits contain fiber and provide significant health benefits when eaten.
When is the best time to of day to take fiber supplements?
It is typically recommended to take a fiber supplement
What are the best fiber supplements?
The best fiber supplement is one that works for specific diets and lifestyles. A person should choose a supplement that avoids any allergies as well as the method of delivery that works best for them.
What is the best form of fiber to take?
This varies between individuals. For example, soluble fiber may help lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels. Insoluble fiber is best for individuals who are experiencing constipation.
Is it OK to take fiber supplements daily?
There is no evidence to suggest that taking a daily fiber supplement has negative consequences. However, a person may wish to take a small dose to begin with and then increase the dose gradually.
Fiber is beneficial for digestive and overall health. Including fiber in the diet can help feed “good” bacteria in the gut, reduce cholesterol, and stabilize blood sugar levels.
If people are not getting enough fiber in their diet, taking a fiber supplement alongside a balanced diet and active lifestyle may help ease digestive issues or aid in weight management.
Adding more water alongside increased fiber intake can also help reduce constipation.
If digestive issues worsen while taking a fiber supplement, people should stop taking it and consult their doctor.