We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
If a person feels that their mattress is too soft or lacking support, using a firm mattress topper may help. A topper can be an easy and affordable way to add firmness to a mattress without replacing it.
- For a latex topper: PlushBeds Natural Latex Topper
- For a vegan topper: Avocado Vegan Topper
- For a cooler sleep: Sealy Essentials Mattress Topper
- For less motion transfer: ViscoSoft Mattress Topper
- For a relaxing sleep: BedStory Mattress Topper
- For pressure relief: Molecule Triple Zone Pro Mattress Topper
- For an odor-reducing topper: Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Using a mattress that offers a lack of support can cause poor spinal alignment. This can result in increased muscle tension, as the muscles will need to work harder to stabilize the spine. A mattress topper may help with this.
Some pros of using a firm mattress topper include the following:
- They add greater support and spinal alignment.
- They are often more affordable than replacing a mattress.
- They allow testing of a firmer sleeping surface without investing in a new mattress.
- They are easy to transport if sleeping away from home.
- They are useful for adapting a mattress to different sleepers or sleeping styles.
Some cons of using a firm mattress topper include the following:
- Some polyurethane mattress toppers may contain harmful volatile organic compounds, which may cause health problems, such as respiratory issues, headaches, organ damage, and cancer.
- Mattress toppers may contain toxic fire retardants, which may cause harmful health effects,
such ashormone disruption, cancer, and neurological issues.
- PVC or vinyl covers may contain harmful chemicals, which may cause damage to developing reproductive systems.
- A mattress topper may not be effective if a mattress is sagging or has large soft spots.
- Some toppers can be expensive, so people may find that it is better to invest in a new mattress, depending on the results they want.
There are several factors a person may consider before buying a mattress topper. These include:
- Cooling properties: If a person experiences overheating while sleeping, they may wish to look for breathability and cooling features, especially in foam mattress toppers, which can trap heat.
- Support: If a person is looking for extra support, they may wish to look for a topper that supports spinal alignment and relieves pressure points.
- Durability: It may be best to look for long lasting, durable materials, such as natural latex, which is more durable than petroleum-based foams.
- Thickness: Mattress toppers come in a range of thicknesses. Usually, the thicker the mattress topper, the plusher the feel.
- Sleeping position: Side sleepers may be more comfortable with a medium thickness mattress topper, whereas back and front sleepers may prefer medium-firm feels. However, firmness is subjective, and people should purchase the mattress topper that offers the support they require.
- Price: Investing in a high quality product may initially be more expensive, but this may maximize longevity.
- Cleaning: Some mattress toppers may be spot clean only, so it may be best to consider a removable, washable cover.
Some mattress toppers use more sustainable production methods and materials than others. Certifications can indicate a lower environmental impact of a product, as well as nontoxicity.
For example, people can look for the following certifications:
- Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS)
- Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)
- GREENGUARD Gold
- OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100
- Made Safe
Products with a warranty and sleep trial allow people to test a product before committing.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried any of these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
The PlushBeds Natural Latex Topper is made from 100% natural Talalay latex.
People can choose from four different firmness levels, including firm and extra firm. The company also offers two thickness options: 2 inches (in) and 3 in.
This mattress topper is:
- designed to relieve pressure points
- odor free
- dust mite resistant
- designed to allow airflow
It also has certification from OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100 and GREENGUARD Gold.
The Avocado Vegan Topper uses organic latex and cotton, and people can choose a firm option.
This mattress topper:
- uses GOLS-certified latex, for gentle support
- uses GOTS-certified cotton, for cooling and wicking moisture
- has certification from Vegan Action, Made Safe, and GREENGUARD Gold
- has carbon negative production and shipping
The Sealy Essentials is a 3-in firm foam mattress topper. It contains gel-infused memory foam to help regulate temperature while sleeping.
This mattress topper is medium-soft and contours to the body. It has generally received positive online reviews.
The ViscoSoft Mattress Topper is a 3-in, high density memory foam topper with a medium-firm feel. There are seven size options, and it has a removable, washable, and hypoallergenic cover.
The company claims that this mattress topper is durable and minimizes motion transfer, which is useful when multiple people share a bed. The topper is slip resistant and comes with straps to secure it to the mattress.
The gel-infused memory foam can help regulate temperature during sleep.
This CertiPUR-US-certified memory foam topper is lightly infused with natural lavender oil for a relaxing scent.
The memory foam is also ventilated for airflow, and it contours to the body. This helps relieve pressure points and evenly support body weight.
Customers can choose from five size options and 2- or 3-in thickness. The mattress topper is hypoallergenic.
The company has specifically designed this mattress topper to provide support and pressure relief. The three targeted zones support different areas of the body.
The company claims that this mattress topper helps regulate temperature, allows airflow, and controls moisture.
This CertiPUR-US-certified mattress topper is available in six size options.
This CertiPUR-US-certified mattress topper uses green tea and charcoal to eliminate odors and reduce moisture.
There are two thickness options people can choose from: 1.5 in and 4 in. Also, the topper comes in six sizes.
Layers of memory foam and high density foam contour to the body, which may help ease physical aches and pains.
Mattress pads are similar to mattress toppers, but they usually fit over a mattress in a similar way to a fitted sheet.
A mattress pad may have quilting and contain down. Many options on the market are hypoallergenic and breathable, and some reviews suggest that they provide a cooler, more supportive surface than some foam toppers.
Below are some frequently asked questions about mattress toppers.
What is the difference between a mattress topper and a mattress pad?
A mattress topper and a mattress pad are both products that people may use to change the feel of their mattress.
A mattress topper is usually thicker than a pad and sits on top of the mattress.
A mattress pad is typically thinner and has an elastic skirt. People can secure the mattress pad to the mattress with the skirt the way they would a fitted sheet.
Does a mattress topper help?
A mattress topper can change the feel of an older mattress.
Mattress toppers come in different thicknesses and feels. Some toppers may offer extra pressure relief from memory foam, whereas others may give a plusher feel through down or down alternative.
While mattress toppers can increase the comfort of an older mattress, they will not fix sagging or large soft spots.
Is a thicker mattress topper better?
Usually, the thicker a mattress topper is, the plusher it feels. However, this may vary between manufacturers.
There is no best mattress topper thickness. A person should carefully read the product description to ensure they are buying a mattress topper that offers the thickness and firmness they require.
Adding a firm mattress topper to a mattress may help create a more supportive sleeping surface.
If a mattress is sagging or has large dips, however, a mattress topper may not be effective. In these cases, a person may benefit from buying a new mattress.