We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Folding squat racks are pieces of fitness equipment for performing strength training exercises. They can be beneficial for people with limited home space for a gym or workout area. The best folding squat racks take up minimal space and are compatible with workout accessories.
This article explores the factors to consider before buying a folding squat rack, lists a range of products available for purchase online, and discusses some health benefits and risks with squat racks.
People interested in buying a folding squat rack may wish to explore several factors before making a purchase.
These may include:
- Space considerations: Similarly to standard squat racks, folding racks can take up a lot of space. People may wish to check the dimensions of their chosen squat rack to check its compatibility with their workout and storage space.
- Accessories: Some folding squat racks are compatible with other accessories, such as dip stations, safety straps, barbells, and folding benches, which may be useful for individuals who wish to diversify their workouts.
- J-hooks: J-hooks hold the barbell in place, and many of them are compatible with folding squat racks. People can attach J-hooks to the squat rack using laser-cut holes on each column.
- Foldability: Wall-mounted squat racks with a fold-back design may be helpful for people with small workout spaces. They are easy to store, as a person can push them back against the wall after working out.
- Warranty: An individual may wish to choose a product with warranty coverage that allows them to replace damaged components.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried any of these products. All information presented here is purely research-based.
This squat rack has a wall-mount unit that people can fold to save space.
Some of its features include:
- a set of Monster Lite J-cups
- mounting brackets
- a quick-attach pullup bar
- hitch pins with a lanyard to lock in the pullup bar
- plastic caps for floor protection
- heavy duty gauge steel uprights and laser-cut holes for more strength
- a weight of 163 pounds (lb)
The rack is also available in different depth options of 21.5 inches (in) and 41.5 in. According to the company, people interested in gymnastic movements may wish to purchase the 41.5-in version, as it provides more workout space.
In addition, Rogue offers a 30-day return policy with this product.
This wall-mounted folding squat rack comes with a pullup bar with a length of 42 in and a diameter of 1.25 in. It also has a maximum height of 7 foot 5 in.
Some other features include:
- a user weight capacity of 1,000 lb
- gauge steel uprights with a height of 90 in
- two J-cups
- a recommended ceiling height of 108 in
It also comes with mounting equipment and hardware.
When the unit unfolds, the squat rack occupies a space of 52 x 90 x 26.75 in. When the rack folds up with J-cups attached, its dimensions are 52 x 108 x 9 in.
According to the website, the product may suit cross-functional athletes, those who use Olympic weights, and people with limited workout space.
At the time of publication, this product costs $699, while monthly payments may also be available for individuals who wish to pay in installments.
The company also offers a 30-day return policy and a limited lifetime warranty.
Some of the features this product comes with include:
- a maximum user weight of 750 lb
- a pullup bar with an adjustable height of 69–92.5 in
- adjustable heavy-duty J-hooks
- dimensions of 23.5 in (depth) x 47.5 in (width) x 94.5 in (height)
When individuals need to use the squat rack, they can remove the pull pins that lock the frame in place, so the uprights move into position. They can then reset the pins and lock the frame into place.
To fold it back, a person can reverse the process and fold the equipment against the wall.
Its inside working space takes up 42.5 in, and a person can use it to perform squats, bench presses, and pullups.
This folding squat rack comes with a 3-year warranty.
With a folding squat rack, a person can perform strength exercises such as squats, pullups, and bench press moves.
The American Cancer Society also explains that engaging in 20- or 30-minute strength training sessions every week offers several health benefits, such as:
Strength training can also be particularly beneficial to older adults, as the
Engaging in this type of exercise can reduce the symptoms of the following diseases and chronic conditions:
The United Kingdom National Health Service (NHS) also recommends engaging in strength exercises on 2 or more days of the week.
In addition, the
The factors and conditions that increase the likelihood of squat injuries include:
- insufficient warmups
- excessive repetitions
- muscle fatigue
People who prefer alternatives to squat racks can consider using other fitness equipment to engage in strength training, such as the below.
- Dumbbells: These handheld weights come in different shapes, sizes. Adjustable dumbbells are also available that allow people to add or remove the amount of weight they are lifting.
- Medicine balls: People can use these weighted balls to add resistance when performing core exercises such as situps. Individuals can move the medicine ball in multiple directions to target different muscle tissues.
- Stability balls: These types of balls are similar to inflatable beach balls and can be useful for bodyweight exercises. A person can use them for crunches or pushups, and these can increase spine stability.
Folding squat racks can be useful for people who engage in strength exercises as part of their workout routine but have limited storage space in their home or garage gym.
There are different factors that individuals can consider before committing to a purchase. They include the dimensions of the rack, how small it can fold down, and whether it is compatible with workout accessories they prefer to use.
A person who does not prefer folding squat racks can consider other fitness tools to engage in strength training, such as dumbbells, medicine balls, and stability balls.