We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Various companies offer healthier chips and snacks. Healthy chips generally have lower levels of salt, sugar, fat, or carbohydrates.
This article lists some of the top healthy chips individuals can buy. We also discuss ingredients to choose and avoid and alternative healthy snack options.
- Best healthy protein chips: Quest Nutrition Nacho Cheese Tortilla Style Protein Chips
- Best healthy keto chips: KetoLogic Keto Cheese Crisps: Buffalo
- Best healthy chicken chips: Wilde Sea Salt and Vinegar Chicken Chips
- Best healthy avocado oil chips: Good Health Avocado Chips Sea Salt
- Best healthy egg white chips: Quevos Egg White Crisps
- Best healthy lentil chips: Enjoy Life Sea Salt Lentil Chips
- Best healthy black bean chips: Beanitos Black Bean Chips
- Best healthy blue corn chips: Garden of Eatin’ Blue Chips, No Salt Added
- Best healthy beet chips: Rhythm Superfoods Beet Chips
- no added sugar
- low salt and low fat content
- whole grains or whole wheat
However, the definition of a healthy snack can also depend on the individual and their health requirements or lifestyle.
On the other hand, those on a low fat diet may also choose low sugar snacks but with high carbohydrate and low fat content.
A person should speak with a doctor before making significant changes to their diet.
Healthy snacks are useful for people who want to follow a balanced diet.
They can benefit those who feel they need a snack but have an underlying health condition that limits their options.
Some of these conditions include:
- Diabetes: A diet high in sugar and carbohydrates can increase the risk of diabetes. A
2020 studyfound that a low-carbohydrate snack with a high amount of protein can lower fasting glucose in people with type 2 diabetes.
- High blood pressure (BP): Those with a risk of high BP may want to choose snacks with a lower amount of sodium.
One studyfound that children in puberty have a higher risk of high BP when consuming salty snacks and sugary drinks.
Some healthier ingredients to consider include:
- healthy fats, such as avocado oil
- unsweetened fruits and nuts
- healthy sugar alternatives, such as some sweeteners
- food naturally high in protein, such as lentils
Less healthy ingredients include:
- highly processed fats, such as canola oil
- added salt
- additives and flavor enhancers, such as monosodium glutamate (MSG)
Below we list some of the top healthy chips available online.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Best healthy protein chips: Quest Nutrition Nacho Cheese Tortilla Style Protein Chips
Ingredients: milk protein isolate, whey protein isolate, sunflower oil, and corn starch
Price: $19.99 for 8 bags, 32 gram (g) each
|Per 1-bag serving (32g)|
Best healthy keto chips: KetoLogic Keto Cheese Crisps: Buffalo
Price: around $22.49 on Amazon for six bags, 50 g each
|Per half-bag serving (25g)|
According to KetoLogic, these gluten-free chips contain no artificial flavors or artificial growth hormones. They also come in resealable bags.
Best healthy chicken chips: Wilde Brands Chicken Chips
Ingredients: chicken breast, tapioca flour, sunflower oil, maltodextrin, and chicken broth
Price: around $5.27 on Amazon for one bag, 60 g
|Per half-bag serving (30 g)|
These natural chicken breast chips are paleo-friendly and contain no grains or gluten. The company states that the chicken it uses contains no antibiotics or hormones.
However, this product does contain maltodextrin, which has a high glycemic index.
Best healthy avocado oil chips: Good Health Avocado Chips Sea Salt
Ingredients: potatoes, avocado oil, and sea salt
Price: $11.75 for one bag, approx 142 g
|Per serving (28 g)|
These fried potato chips contain three ingredients, without any additives, colors, sugars, or sweeteners. They come with gluten-free and non-GMO certifications.
Best healthy egg white chips: Quevos Egg White Chips
Ingredients: egg white, milk protein isolate, sunflower oil, prebiotic fiber, and flax seeds
Price: around $14.99 on Amazon for five 28 g packs
|Per 1-bag serving (28 g)|
These egg white chips are gluten-free and come in five flavors, including honey mustard, mesquite barbecue, and dill pickle.
The nutritional information may differ depending on the flavor.
Best healthy lentil chips: Enjoy Life Sea Salt Lentil Chips
Price: around $42.77 on Amazon for 12 bags, 113 g each
|Per 28 g serving|
Best healthy black bean chips: Beanitos Black Bean Chips
Ingredients: black beans, sunflower oil, rice flour, and tapioca starch
Price: around $25.99 on Amazon for four 283 g packs
|Per 28 g serving|
These chips are gluten-free, vegan, and kosher. According to Beanitos, they do not contain any GMOs, corn, grain, or dairy.
Best healthy blue corn chips: Garden of Eatin’ Blue Chips, No Salt Added
Ingredients: organic blue corn, canola oil, safflower oil, and sunflower oil
Price: around $64.59 on Amazon for 12 bags, 453 g each
|Per 28 g serving|
According to the company, these chips are gluten-free, kosher, and non-GMO. They do not contain hydrogenated oils, artificial flavors, or artificial preservatives.
However, they do contain canola oil.
Best healthy beet chips: Rhythm Superfoods Beet Chips
Price: around $16.22 on Amazon for eight bags, 17 g each
|Per 1-bag serving (17 g)|
These chips are suitable for people who do not want any oils, sugars, or additives in their snacks. The company states they are vegan, kosher, and gluten-free.
Some alternatives to healthy chips include:
- pork rinds
- beef jerky without additives
- fresh and dried fruit
- baked goods that are low in sugar, carbohydrates, and unhealthy fats
- homemade goods
Individuals should check the ingredients and recipes they choose to ensure that their choice matches their diet, lifestyle, and health requirements.
People with health conditions should consider discussing healthy snack options with their doctor.
Many brands produce snacks and chips that they claim are a healthier alternative to the typical potato chips. Some contain healthier ingredients, such as avocado oil, beets, and lentils.
However, the definition of healthy snacks is not clear-cut. In general, people should avoid processed snacks or chips that contain high sugar, salt, or trans fat levels.
Individuals should check ingredients and certifications to make sure that their snack choice aligns with their health requirements and lifestyle.