We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
A hybrid mattress has layers of foam or another material, as well as coils, called innersprings.
- For a choice of three levels of firmness: Brooklyn Bedding Signature
- For changeable firmness: Layla Hybrid
- For a 365-night trial: DreamCloud
- For a full-replacement lifetime warranty: Winkbed
- For side sleepers: Helix Midnight
- For cooler sleep: Tuft & Needle Hybrid
- For a user weight of up to 500 pounds: Saatva HD
- For a 100% certified organic mattress: Avocado Green
A hybrid mattress contains multiple layers of material, which can provide comfort, breathability, and back support. It may contain foam, for example, and coiled springs.
Some hybrid mattresses have natural materials, such as latex, cotton, and wool. Some also have springs made from recycled steel.
Memory foam mattresses can retain heat, making them too warm for some people to sleep on.
Innerspring mattresses contain coils, which may make them feel too bouncy. A person might also be able to feel the coils through the mattress covering.
A hybrid mattress aims to combine the best of both types and eliminate the downsides. This type of mattress has layers of cushioning to help counter the bouncy or uncomfortable feeling of coils, while the innerspring layer allows for airflow, making it a cooler option.
The following are benefits to having a hybrid mattress, according to companies that make them:
- The innerspring layer allows air to move freely, keeping people cooler when they sleep.
- Layers of foam or other materials can help relieve pressure.
- People can choose from a range of firmness levels.
- The layers of material around the spring coils reduce motion transfer when people climb into or out of bed.
Research on mattresses has also shown that newer mattresses lead to better sleep quality than mattresses that are
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
This hybrid mattress combines individually encased coils with foam temperature-control layers. Features include:
- a quilted top layer for comfort and cooling
- a foam layer infused with temperature-control gel
- a second foam layer to provide compression support and body contouring
- a layer of up to 961 coils to help prevent motion transfer
- a base foam layer to enhance durability and support
Various sites have positive reviews for the Brooklyn Signature. These indicate that it is suitable for all sleeping positions and body types.
People can choose from soft, medium, or firm varieties, depending on their preferences and sleeping style. The Brooklyn Signature is available for a 120-night trial.
The Layla Hybrid combines coils with memory foam and has a firm and a soft side. A person can flip the mattress, depending on their preference. Other features include:
- copper-infused foam to carry heat away from the body
- a combination of copper, memory foam, and coil layers that supports compression areas and reduces motion transfer
- suitability for all sleep positions
- airflow for cooler sleep
People can trial the Layla Hybrid mattress for 120 nights.
DreamCloud is a medium-firm mattress with memory foam and coils. Features include:
- a quilted foam and cashmere top covering
- support for all sleep positions
- memory foam to contour to the body
- a layer of individually wrapped coils that reduce motion transfer and enhance airflow
Positive customer reviews refer to high quality and improved sleep. DreamCloud offers a 365-night trial.
According to the product’s website and reviews, the WinkBed hybrid may best suit people who sleep on their backs or fronts. Its features include:
- a natural fabric cover to carry away heat
- a gel-infused foam layer for the same purpose
- individually wrapped coils that support pressure points
- edge support to prevent sagging and increase the sleeping area
The WinkBed may also be a good option for people with back pain. Many positive customer reviews on the product’s website have praised the mattress for relieving or eliminating back pain.
People can trial the WinkBed hybrid mattress for 120 nights.
This hybrid is a medium-firm mattress that is ideal for side sleepers and people who move a lot in their sleep, the makers say. Its features include:
- a memory foam layer to cushion pressure points
- a breathable cover to help keep people cooler
- edge support to prevent sagging
- coils that help reduce motion transfer
- certification that it is free from harmful chemicals
Positive customer reviews say that the mattress helped relieve or eliminate back pain and led to great sleep quality.
People can trial the Helix Midnight hybrid for 100 nights — and must give it at least 30 nights before initiating a return.
According to the product’s website, this mattress responds to individual pressure points and has a bouncy feel without motion transfer. The company also says that this model is designed to last for 10 years.
Its features include:
- graphite and gel beads to draw away heat from the body
- breathable foam layers that draw away moisture and promote airflow
- carbon-fiber infused foam, which adds durability
During 2020, for every purchase of the hybrid mattress, Tuft & Needle will donate a set of twin sheets to Sleep in Heavenly Peace, an organization that provides beds and bedding for children in need.
People can trial the Tuft & Needle Hybrid for 100 nights.
The Saatva HD is a hybrid mattress designed for people who weigh between 300 and 500 pounds. It is a medium-firm mattress suitable for all sleep positions.
The features include:
- breathable layers of organic cotton and latex that promote airflow for cooler sleep
- a coil base for back support
- coils that are 25% stronger than standard ones, helping to prevent sagging
- memory foam that contours to the body to help relieve pressure in the joints
- foam support that makes the edges firmer
People can trial the Saatva HD for 180 nights.
The Avocado Green hybrid mattress is made with natural and organic materials, making it a good option for people who want an eco-friendly, nontoxic mattress.
The product’s website says that it:
- meets federal fire safety requirements, though it does not contain chemical flame retardants
- has organic latex foam for temperature control and durability
- contains ethically sourced organic wool to wick away moisture
- contains organic cotton, which also keeps a person cool
- is ideal for back and stomach sleepers
Avocado also offers a vegan mattress without wool. People can trial the Avocado Green mattress for 1 year.
Below, we answer some common questions about hybrid mattresses.
Why should someone use a hybrid mattress?
There is no single reason why a hybrid mattress may be preferable. Different hybrid mattresses have different features that appeal to different people. For example, someone with back pain may opt for a hybrid that provides additional back support, and someone who becomes hot during sleep might prefer one with cooling gel.
Who would not benefit from a hybrid mattress?
Due to their construction, hybrid mattresses can be weighty and difficult to move. They may not be best for people who frequently move houses or rearrange their living spaces.
Also, because hybrid mattresses contain inner coils, a person might notice motion transfer when sleeping alongside someone else. This may disrupt the quality of sleep.
How long does a hybrid mattress last?
Many factors can influence the lifespan of a mattress, but the Better Sleep Council recommends replacing one after 7 years.
A person may consider replacing their mattress sooner if they experience pain and discomfort related to sleep. On the other hand, a guest room mattress that is not often in use may last longer than 7 years.
When a mattress needs replacing, dispose of it responsibly. It may be possible to recycle it.
Anyone looking for a lighter or less expensive alternative may prefer a foam or innerspring mattress.
A foam mattress is made up of layers of memory or latex foam, which can contour to the body. This may be helpful for a person with aches and pains. Foam mattresses can also trap heat, however, although some come with inner cooling systems.
Innerspring mattresses contain coils, which can give the bed a bouncy feel. A foam or natural fiber layer adds comfort and cushioning. The layer of coils in innerspring mattresses can allow for airflow, which may lead to cooler sleep.
Some people find that hybrid mattresses combine the best elements of foam and innerspring mattresses. Hybrid mattresses have coils and multiple layers of foam or other materials that enhance back support, airflow, moisture control, and durability.
A person’s budget, preferences, and sleep position help determine the best mattress for them. Most companies offer trial periods to help people ensure that they are making the right choice before committing to the purchase.