We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
An innerspring mattress is a traditional style of mattress. This type contains a layer of metal springs, or coils, covered by layers of material for padding, such as foam.
This article will look at innerspring mattress options and the type of sleeper they may suit.
Please note that the statements below are purely research-based. Nobody at Medical News Today, including the writer, has tried or tested any of these products.
According to mattress websites, the potential benefits of an innerspring mattress include the following:
- An innerspring mattress may have a firmer, bouncier feel than other mattress types, which some people may prefer, as it can help prevent sinking into the mattress.
- The coils allow for airflow, which may make it a cooler option to sleep on than a traditional foam mattress.
- An innerspring mattress may be cheaper than other types of mattress.
An innerspring mattress should contour to the heaviest parts of the body while providing support to these areas. According to the International Chiropractors Association, “the higher the coil count in relation to the surface area, the greater the strength and durability of the mattress.”
At present, there has been limited research into the benefits of different types of mattress for health. As a result, many of the claimed benefits come from either the manufacturers themselves or anecdotal evidence.
A small study in the Chinese Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine looked at the effects of different mattresses on the sleep quality of 30 participants.
The researchers compared an innerspring mattress, a sponge mattress, and a wooden board mattress. The participants reported better sleep quality after using the innerspring mattress, and the researchers observed less movement and better back support.
However, a 2016 review of research in the journal Physiotherapy concluded that there was currently no high quality evidence to support the use of a particular type of mattress to relieve chronic lower back pain.
The following sections will look at seven innerspring mattress options.
The Saatva Classic is an innerspring mattress with foam cushioning. According to the product website, it has the following features:
- an organic cotton cushioning top
- a foam edge, to reduce sagging and increase sleep surface
- an upper layer of 884 individually wrapped coils, designed to mold to the body, reduce motion transfer, and encourage airflow
- a second base layer of 416 steel coils, to provide long lasting durability
For back health, the product website mentions the following features that may be beneficial:
- The top layer of cushioning contours to the body and provides support to the back, shoulders, and hips, which could help relieve pressure and reduce joint and back pain.
- A wire support in the middle of the mattress may help with spinal alignment.
- The mattress has approval from the Congress of Chiropractic State Associations.
The Saatva Classic has three different firmness options: soft, medium, and firm.
The mattress comes with a 180-night home trial, but customers will need to pay a collection fee if they wish to return the mattress.
The Aviya mattress is an eco-friendly mattress that uses non-toxic materials. It is CertiPUR-US certified and does not contain:
- ozone depleters
- harmful flame retardants
- mercury, lead, or other heavy metals
Instead, the mattress contains natural fibers, such as cotton, linseed, flax, and sea salt.
According to the product website, possible benefits of the Aviya innerspring mattress also include:
- a combination of foam and innerspring that allows for airflow, making the mattress cooler to sleep on
- foam edges that increase the sleeping area
- 850–1,100 individually wrapped steel innersprings in the queen and king mattresses
The Aviya mattress comes with a 100-night money back guarantee.
Joybed use cotton, wool, and plant fibers to make their mattresses. They also have a vegan option.
The Joybed LX has the following features:
- an organic fabric cover
- a chemical-free fire barrier made from plant fiber
- hypoallergenic cotton layers, to help keep cool
- a responsibly farmed wool layer, to help keep cool and dry
- a layer of individually wrapped coils, to support the body
According to the product website, the benefits of their natural materials include:
- renewable, recyclable, and biodegradable materials
- wool sourced from ethical, responsible farming in the United States
- wool that wicks away moisture
- breathable fibers
- cotton that is breathable and durable
- plant-based fabrics that meet federal fire safety certification
People have a 120-night money back guarantee.
The Big Fig mattress is suitable for people with more body weight. According to the product website, the Big Fig mattress has the following features:
- high durability, with materials lasting for at least 20 years of sleep
- gel-treated fabric, to cool the body
- a perforated foam layer, to allow for airflow
- three layers of high density foam, to prevent sagging
- 1,600 individually wrapped coils
- a foam edge, for extra strength and support
The Big Fig mattress comes with a 120-night money back guarantee.
WinkBed combines an innerspring layer with a foam layer. According to the product website, WinkBed has the following features:
- a eucalyptus-based material cover, to transport heat away from the body
- top foam layers infused with gel, to carry heat away from the body
- individually wrapped coils, to relieve pressure points and provide back support
- edge support, to prevent sagging and increase sleep surface area
- U.S-sourced, eco-friendly materials
Review sites have given the WinkBed positive reviews and rated it one of the best innerspring mattresses of 2020, especially for back pain, all sleep positions, and all weight ranges.
The WinkBed comes with a 120-night money back guarantee.
The Real Bed combines innerspring coils with layers of natural fibers.
The product website states that the mattress is ideal for people who sleep on their back or front. It has the following features:
- an organic cotton cover and layers of natural fibers, including wool, latex, and eucalyptus-based fireproof material
- a central latex layer that is hypoallergenic and could help support spinal alignment
- coils that provide targeted support to the body
The Real Bed comes with a 100-night money back guarantee.
Charles P. Rogers Estate SE
According to the product website, the Estate SE mattress is suitable for side, back, and front sleepers.
The manufacturers state that the mattress:
- adjusts to each individual body position, shape, and pressure
- supports pressure points and spinal alignment to relieve aches
- contains latex and cotton layers, to ensure that the mattress is breathable and does not retain heat
- is hypoallergenic
- contains no harmful glues or solvents
People can trial the Estate SE for 100 days before deciding to keep or return it.
Some people may find that an innerspring mattress does not meet all their requirements.
According to mattress websites, an innerspring mattress may not control motion transfer as much as a foam mattress. Some people may also prefer a mattress that contours more to the body.
Alternative options include memory foam mattresses and hybrid mattresses. Hybrid mattresses are a combination of a foam and innerspring mattress.
A foam mattress contains no innerspring coils. Foam mattresses may contain different types of foam, which can offer different qualities.
- Memory foam molds around the shape of the body.
- Polyurethane foam is lightweight and may feel quite bouncy.
- Latex foam can consist of synthetic or natural latex and may provide firm support.
Many innerspring mattresses, including some in this article, are also hybrid mattresses. A hybrid mattress combines layers of foam, or natural fibers, to provide extra cushioning and support alongside layers of coils.
A hybrid mattress may suit people who want less motion transfer or specific back support.
An innerspring mattress contains one or more layers of metal coils. People may find that an innerspring mattress is a cooler option than a foam mattress, as it allows for airflow.
People can choose from a wide range of innerspring mattresses to find one that best suits their sleep position, budget, and specific needs.
Many innerspring mattresses also contain foam or natural fiber layers, which may help increase comfort, boost support, and reduce motion transfer.