We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Massage guns are handheld products that a person can use to target any muscle area. They may help with general muscle pain, and people often use them following a workout to aid recovery.
A quick look at the 7 best massage guns
- Best non-sweat absorbing: Theragun G3Pro
- Best for travelers: OPOVE M3 Pro Massage Gun
- Best with Bluetooth connectivity: Hyperice Hypervolt Plus
- Best for fast charging: VYBE Pro Percussion Massage Gun
- Best lightweight: Recoverfun Mini Massage Gun
- Best quiet: LifePro Sonic Handheld Percussion Massage Gun
- Best for long battery life: Sportneer Massage Gun
People can choose from a range of available products. They may wish to consider various factors, such as design, noise level, and portability, when making a decision.
This article discusses how massage guns work and their benefits and risks. It also lists some of the massage guns that are currently available to buy.
Massage guns use percussive therapy, which is similar to vibration therapy. They oscillate forward and backward, applying pressure to tense muscle tissue. In doing this, they can release buildups of fluid and tension from the area.
Research shows that a person may benefit from vibration therapy if they exhibit muscle tenderness during workout recovery. These individuals may consider using a massage gun post-workout because it can help remove lactic acid buildup from the muscle, which is usually the cause of muscle soreness.
As the results of a
Some benefits of a massage gun may include:
- muscle and tissue relaxation
- temporary relief of tension
- prevention of DOMS
- increase of blood flow and circulation
- increase in flexibility and athletic performance
Those who exercise regularly, especially those who experience DOMS, may benefit from frequent massage gun use.
A 2020 study found that vibration therapy may assist with strength and mobility in people with peripheral artery disease. Similarly, a
Other health conditions that massage guns may be beneficial for include:
Mental health and sleep conditions
Massage guns may also be useful for those with mental health or sleep-related conditions, as the relaxation of the muscles can help manage stress in the body.
With incorrect use, massage guns may injure the body. For instance, they may cause ruptured blood vessels, nerve sensitivity, or muscle fiber damage.
A person can take steps to lessen the chance of causing damage. These include:
- starting with the massage gun on a slow setting
- taking extra care around bony areas
- avoiding nerves and blood vessels, especially in the neck
- not overmassaging any one region of the body
- following the manufacturers’ recommendations — most massage gun models come with a maximum recommended use of 2 minutes on each muscle group
- taking extra care around pulled muscles and torn ligaments
People who are pregnant or have deep vein thrombosis (DVT) should consult a doctor before using a massage gun and follow their advice.
Medical News Today chooses fitness equipment that meets the following criteria:
- Price: MNT chooses products available for a wide range of budgets.
- Size and capacity: MNT selects products to suit people of different heights, weights, and strength.
- Connectivity: Where fitness equipment has fitness memberships or subscriptions, MNT ensures variation in classes and services that benefit a person’s health.
- Materials: MNT chooses products that have safe and durable materials that are easy to clean and maintain.
- Ease of use: MNT selects simple-to-use products that have clear instructions. If set-up is complicated, MNT chooses brands that offer a set-up or installation service.
- Quality: MNT chooses companies that adhere to high quality manufacturing processes that ensure its products are safe for personal use.
- Reputable: MNT chooses products from businesses that adhere to industry best practices and that offer reliable customer service and support.
Below, we look at some of the best massage guns available to purchase.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Best non-sweat absorbing: Theragun G3Pro
Theragun claims that the G3Pro is their most powerful deep muscle treatment. They also state that a person needs to use it for just 30 seconds on each muscle group to achieve the desired effect.
The G3Pro has six closed-cell foam head attachments, providing a soft alternative to plastic for the skin. This material also makes it more compatible with oils, lotions, and sweat, which people can wipe easily from the attachments after use.
Other features of the Theragun G3Pro include:
- adjustable arm to target hard-to-reach areas
- two speeds: a deep treatment and a lighter option for sensitive areas
- reduced noise compared with previous models
- two interchangeable batteries and a charger
- up to 60 lb of force
- a travel case
- a weight of 3.10 lb
- a 2-year warranty
Best for traveling: OPOVE M3 Pro Massage Gun
Price: Around $350
This OPOVE model comes with a nylon and glass fiber anti-drop shell to reduce the risk of damage. It is available in black or silver.
The massage gun weighs 2.5 lb, and the company include a carrying case with each purchase, making it easy to transport.
Other features of the OPOVE M3 Pro Massage Gun are:
- uses QuietGlide technology to limit noise level to 39–55 dB, depending on the selected level
- three speeds
- rechargeable battery with 3 hours of battery life
- five head attachments
- 30-day return policy and free shipping
- 1-year warranty
Best with Bluetooth connectivity: Hyperice Hypervolt Plus
Price: Around $329
The Hypervolt Plus model uses QuietGlide technology to keep the gun’s noise levels low.
The Hypervolt Plus includes Bluetooth connectivity, allowing connection to the Hyperice app. This app helps a person with personalized health and well-being programs, warm-ups, and routines.
Other features of the Hypervolt Plus are:
- three speeds with a maximum of 53 hertz
- up to 3,200 percussions per minute
- five head attachments
- weight of 3 lb
- TSA-approved for carry-on luggage
- quick battery recharge
- 1-year manufacturer warranty
Best for fast charging: VYBE Pro Percussion Massage Gun
Price: Around $214.99
The VYBE Pro Percussion model appears to be one of the less expensive models available. The company claim that this massage gun is suitable for athletes of all abilities.
This model has eight massage heads to choose from, all of which target specific areas of the body.
VYBE do not give information about the item weight, but they say that the package’s total weight is 4.53 lb.
Other features of the VYBE Pro Percussion model include:
- nine speeds and can reach up to 3,400 strokes per minute
- maximum noise level of 60 decibels (dB)
- 3 hours of battery life and an included charger
- a travel case
- 30 day return policy
Best lightweight: Recoverfun Mini Massage Gun
The Recoverfun model is a portable massage gun available in three colors: black, red, or pink.
This mini massage gun has a lightweight design, as it weighs 1.1 lb. It also comes with a travel bag for easy transport. This model may suit regular travelers.
Other features of the Recoverfun Mini model are:
- maximum noise level of 48 dB
- 5-hour battery life
- four speed settings that can reach up to 3,200 strokes per minute
- four massage heads
- 1 year warranty
Best quiet: LifePro Sonic Handheld Percussion Massage Gun
Price: Around $99.99
The LifePro Sonic massage gun offers a deep massage for sore tissues and aching muscles. People can use it during warm-up sessions, and also for post-workout recovery.
It is easy to use and has a front LED panel with an on-off switch.
It comes with a quiet motor, so a person can use it wherever they choose without disturbing others.
Other features include:
- 5 intensity adjustment levels
- a portable design
- battery life of up to 6 hours
- a battery level indicator
Best for long battery life: Sportneer Massage Gun
Price: Around $99.99
This massage gun may best suit those with specific medical conditions, such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, or sciatica.
It operates quietly and has a lightweight design. The manufacturer states that the product weighs 1.7 lb, making it easy to pack when traveling.
Other features include:
- 5-speed levels
- 6 replaceable massage heads
- battery life of 6 hours
Below we provide a comparison between the seven massage guns in this article.
|Theragun G3Pro||3.10 lb||75 min||2 years||60 days||$599|
|OPOVE M3 Pro Massage Gun||2.5 lb||4 hours||1 year||30 days||around $350|
|Hyperice Hypervolt Plus||3 lb||+2.5 hours||1 year||30 days||around $299|
|VYBE Pro Percussion Massage Gun||around 4 lb||3 hours||90 days||30 days||around $214|
|Recoverfun Mini Massage Gun||1.1 lb||5 hours||1 year||30 days||$79|
|LifePro Sonic Handheld Percussion Massage Gun||2.5 lb||up to 6 hours||Lifetime||30 days||around $100|
|Sportneer Massage Gun||1.7 lb||6 hours||1 year||30 days||around $100|
People looking to purchase a massage gun may wish to consider:
- Power and speed: Most models of massage gun offer a choice of speed and power settings.
- Portability: Some models are lighter and smaller and have a longer battery life to facilitate easy transportation.
- Design: Some massage guns may make accessing difficult-to-reach areas of the body easier by having features such as an extended handle.
- Warranty and reviews: Reading trusted reviews for products could help when deciding on the best model. It is also essential to look at the warranty terms, should there be any fault or need for a replacement product.
These are commonly asked questions that people may have about massage guns:
What massage gun do professionals use?
There are a variety of massage guns available and professionals may have their own personal preferences when it comes to which they opt for. A person may consider choosing a product that has a lightweight design if they travel regularly.
They may also opt for one that has different speed and power settings if they are looking for a deeper massage.
Do massage guns get rid of knots?
Poor posture and lack of activity most commonly lead to muscle knots. Using a massage gun may help to prevent muscle tightness which may make knots less likely.
Massage guns may benefit people who have specific medical conditions or frequently experience muscle pain after exercising.
However, with incorrect use, they carry some risk of muscle damage or injury. Following the manufacturers’ safety advice is essential.
A person should consider what features are most important to them before exploring the options from different brands.