We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Platform beds do not have box springs, meaning some mattresses are more suitable for them than others. The best platform mattresses feature cooling technology and motion control, and they support the body adequately.
- Best for back pain: Saatva Zenhaven Mattress
- Best environmentally friendly option: Spindle Natural Latex Mattress
- Best for spine alignment: The Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
- Best for airflow: Layla Memory Foam Mattress
- Best hybrid mattress: Birch Natural Mattress
- Best for cosleeping: Nest Bedding Alexander Signature Hybrid Mattress
Platform beds are usually lower to the ground than those consisting of a frame and box spring. Manufacturers typically make platform foundation bed frames out of wood, metal, or plastic.
The area where the mattress goes can be solid, slatted, or in the form of a metal grid.
This article discusses what mattresses are best suited for platform beds and suggests what features to consider before making a purchase.
The main purpose of a box spring is to provide a sturdy, flat, supportive surface on which a mattress can lie. Usually, a person would use an innerspring mattress on a box spring.
Platform beds provide this solid, firm surface themselves, so no box spring is necessary.
However, this means innerspring mattresses are not the best type of mattress for a platform bed.
When people use mattresses with innersprings on a platform bed, they usually opt for hybrids, which combine innersprings with foam layers.
Please note that no one at Medical News today, including the writer, has tried these products. All information is research-based.
In comparison with other bed bases and frames, platform beds offer several benefits:
- Cooler sleep: Units using slats or metal grids have better airflow than box springs.
- Lower profile: Platform beds tend to be lower to the ground, which could make the bed easier to get out for some people.
- Compact: Many models feature built-in storage, making them useful in smaller spaces.
- More choice: Platform beds are available in many different styles, so people can choose from a range of options.
People may wish to consider the advantages and disadvantages of platform beds before making a purchase.
People can purchase mattresses online or in-store. Online shopping may save time from having to travel to a store and try out beds.
However, it is important to consider several factors when purchasing a mattress online.
As a person cannot try these products before purchasing them, they should consider whether a company offers a trial period. Many offer extended return periods, meaning people can try the mattress at home for several weeks or months and return it if it does not meet their needs.
Other factors to consider when shopping for a mattress include:
- Customer reviews: People may wish to look at online reviews on websites, such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB) or Trustpilot. If a company does not have a profile page on an external website, a person can read through the reviews available on the company website carefully.
- Company reputation: The BBB and Trustpilot offer free assessments of a company that can help a person determine whether they provide a reputable service. Similar to reviews, individuals can check several websites to make an informed decision.
- Warranties and returns: A person should look for mattresses with long warranties and a competitive trial and return period.
- Mattress firmness: People should consider the firmness of the mattress they are considering purchasing. Generally, a medium-firm mattress suits most sleeping styles. However, firmness is subjective, and a person should purchase one that feels comfortable.
- Sale items:If an individual purchases a mattress on sale, they should read the small print carefully. Some companies may also offer a reduced warranty or trial period during sales.
Mattresses comprising latex can be a suitable fit for a platform bed. They can conform to the shape of the person’s body as they sleep but bounce back to their original shape when individuals get out of bed.
According to Saatva, this antimicrobial mattress is flippable, so people can choose between the Luxury Plush and Gentle Firm topper options.
The mattress consists of a latex support core and a five-zone comfort layer of latex. It also has a quilted organic cover.
Spindle claims this mattress uses all-natural, all-American raw materials, including 100% natural latex, organic cotton, and eco-wool.
It also offers support for the hips and shoulders and reportedly does not sink easily.
Many memory foam options are available for platform bed mattresses. Some people find they get too hot sleeping on these mattress types, so it might be a good idea to look for those that feature cooling technology.
Nectar says this memory foam mattress promotes spine alignment by relieving pressure points on the shoulders, hips, and legs. It offers medium-firm support and comprises multiple layers.
This mattress aims to minimize motion transfer and has a quilted, cooling Tencel cover as its top layer.
Layla notes this mattress is flippable, adding that its soft side is suited for side sleepers and the firm side could benefit stomach and back sleepers.
The multiple layers within the mattress provide support and airflow regardless of sleeping style.
The mattress consists of layers of memory foam infused with copper gel to promote cooling while maintaining an antimicrobial effect.
Manufacturers build hybrid mattresses using a combination of materials. These mattresses consist of latex, memory foam, or gel, and they could also incorporate springs.
According to Birch, this mattress combines several materials, including latex for cradling support, individually pocketed steel coils for motion control, wool for temperature regulation, and cotton for wicking moisture away.
It is an eco-friendly mattress due to the manufacturer using sustainably harvested organic materials without toxic chemicals.
Nest Bedding claims this mattress is an adjustable hybrid that combines memory foam, titanium-infused foam, temperature-regulating fabrics, and individually pocketed coils.
People who share a bed have the option of choosing a different level of support on each side. They can also alter how the mattress feels over time by changing the internal layers.
Mattresses have a direct effect on an individual’s sleep. However, it is important to note that claims from some bed manufacturers about their products alleviating back pain, sciatica, or circulation issues may be more promotional than factual.
There is not much research on the health effects of mattresses, although one review concluded that medium-firm and self-adjusted mattresses were best for increasing sleep comfort and maintaining spinal alignment.
Setting up a mattress on a platform bed can vary according to several factors. Therefore, a person should always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Some general steps a person can take to set up their mattress include the below.
- Unbox the mattress and lift it onto the platform bed.
- Once in place, carefully cut and remove the packaging around the mattress.
- Unroll the mattress on top of the platform surface.
- Allow the mattress to return to its normal size.
Mattresses can take several hours to expand to their normal size. Some manufacturers may recommend leaving them to reshape for up to 24 hours before sleeping on it.
Below are some frequently asked questions about mattresses and platform beds.
Do mattresses move on platform beds?
A mattress may move or slide on any type of bed frame.
To prevent mattress sliding, a person should ensure they purchase the right size mattress for their bed frame. For example, an individual with a queen-size bed frame should only purchase a queen-size mattress.
What type of mattress is best for platform beds?
Generally, memory foam, latex, or hybrid mattresses are the best type to use for platform beds.
Platform beds usually feature a rigid, hard surface. A memory foam, latex, or hybrid mattress should offer enough comfort and support to ensure a person does not feel this hard surface underneath.
How long do mattresses take to expand after taking them out of a box?
The time it takes for a mattress to expand after taking it out from a box may differ depending on its materials.
Usually, mattresses will return to their full size and thickness after several hours. However, some companies may recommend leaving it to expand for 24 hours or more before sleeping on it.
Platform beds offer people who sleep in small bedrooms a space-saving alternative due to their built-in storage capabilities.
However, their simplicity also makes finding the most suitable mattress essential.
People have many mattresses to choose from, including latex, memory foam, and hybrid options.
Ultimately, the best mattress for platform bed sleeping will be the mattress that meets a person’s physical needs. They also need to be suitable for an individual’s budget.