We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
A quality mattress topper for hip pain can help relieve aches and discomfort by offering firm support without putting pressure on the joints. It is also a lower cost alternative to a new mattress.
The right mattress can help a person sleep more comfortably at night, but an uncomfortable mattress can create painful pressure points and make chronic pain worse.
A mattress topper is a good option for a person who is not ready or able to buy a new mattress or who lacks the strength to lift and install a new mattress.
In this article, we look at some of the top mattress toppers for hip pain, what to consider when buying one, possible alternatives, and when to seek medical attention.
There is no conclusive scientific evidence suggesting that any specific mattress brand or type of mattress consistently improves hip pain.
The main advantage of a mattress topper is that it allows a person to adapt their mattress to changing needs and preferences easily.
The benefits of a mattress topper will depend on a number of factors, including a person’s pain level, the reason for their pain, and preferred sleeping position.
As such, it is important to choose a mattress topper that offers refunds or an in-home trial or that buyers can try in person.
Some other things to look for include:
- Material: The material can help with deciding how supportive the topper will be and whether it will work on top of the current mattress. Some memory foam toppers require firm support underneath.
- Thickness: Very thin mattress toppers might not provide much additional support beyond what a person already gets from their current mattress.
- Weight: People choosing a mattress topper may do so because they do not want to lift and replace their old mattress. When this is the case, lighter toppers, which may be easier to maneuver, may be a more suitable choice.
- Reviews: Every person has different mattress preferences. It is helpful to see what people with similar issues think of a given mattress topper. For example, a person with hip osteoarthritis may have different needs from someone with pregnancy-related hip pain.
Below, we present a selection of top mattress toppers for hip pain for people to consider.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
SUPERIOR Mattress Topper
The most affordable option on the list, this mattress topper is lightweight, but reviewers still say it adds significant support without creating hip pressure points.
The down alternative filling is soft but supportive, ideal for someone who wants a medium-plush mattress.
The microfiber cover is fully washable.
Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Topper Supreme
This memory foam topper offers the comfort of a traditional memory foam mattress at a low price.
The company offer a 10-year warranty, and the cover is removable and washable.
Sleepers who overheat at night can add a cooling topper addition.
Tuft & Needle mattress topper
This mattress topper offers consistent support that will not hurt the hips when a person sleeps on the side.
The supportive foam feels soft, but reviewers report that they do not feel like they are sinking into it.
The company offer a 3-year warranty and a 30-day return policy.
Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper
Offering an alternative to memory foam, latex is similarly supportive but firmer. Avocado also offer a range of vegan mattress toppers.
The Avocado mattress topper uses certified organic materials. Some reviewers note significant pain relief with this topper.
Buyers can choose a plush or firm option and enjoy a 1-year trial and 10-year warranty.
Lucid Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Thicker than many other alternatives, this Lucid gel memory foam topper offers significant support that can help compensate for a lackluster mattress.
Gel foam is cooling, reducing the risk of overheating and therefore helping improve sleep quality.
This mattress topper comes with a 3-year warranty.
Some alternatives a person may wish to consider include:
- A new mattress: Some mattresses are similar in price to a mattress topper. Moreover, some companies offer free installation, taking the work out of getting a new mattress.
- A wedge or knee pillow: Sometimes, a wedge between the knees helps ease hip pressure.
- An adjustable bed: Adjustable beds offer significant support, and a person can adjust them to their comfort level.
Sometimes, hip pain is just a temporary inconvenience, but it may also be a symptom of a serious underlying health issue, such as arthritis or a broken bone.
A person should seek medical attention if:
- hip pain is so severe that they cannot sleep
- hip pain does not improve with home treatment
- hip pain worsens with time or does not respond to the treatment a doctor recommended
- a person has other symptoms, such as a fever or trouble walking
People who experience hip pain while sleeping or after waking may want to try a mattress topper.
A mattress topper is an affordable way to adapt an existing mattress to a person’s needs and preferences. For example, mattress toppers can create a firmer or softer surface to sleep on.
When considering the best mattress topper options for specific health issues, people may wish to seek guidance from a doctor or physical therapist.