We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
A quality mattress topper for hip pain can help relieve aches and discomfort by offering firm support without putting pressure on the joints. It can also be a cheaper alternative to a new mattress.
A quick look at 5 of the best mattress toppers for hip pain
- Best for an affordable topper: SUPERIOR Mattress Topper
- Best for a memory foam topper: Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Topper Supreme
- Best for a cooler sleep: Tuft & Needle mattress topper
- Best for a latex topper: Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper
- Best for an antimicrobial topper: Molecule Triple Zone Pro Topper
The right mattress can help a person sleep more comfortably at night, but an uncomfortable mattress can create painful pressure points and worsen chronic pain.
A mattress topper is a suitable option for a person who is not ready or able to buy a new mattress or who lacks the strength to lift and install one.
In this article, we look at some of the top mattress toppers for hip pain, what to consider when buying one, possible alternatives, and when to seek medical attention for hip pain.
There is no conclusive scientific evidence suggesting that any specific mattress brand or type of mattress consistently improves hip pain.
The main advantage of a mattress topper is that it allows a person to adapt their mattress to changing needs and preferences easily.
The benefits of a mattress topper will depend on several factors, including a person’s pain level, the reason for their pain, and preferred sleeping position.
As such, it is important to choose a mattress topper that offers refunds or an in-store or at-home trial.
Some other factors to consider include:
- Material: The material can help with deciding how supportive the topper will be and whether it will work on top of the current mattress. Some memory foam toppers require firm support underneath.
- Thickness: Very thin mattress toppers might not provide much additional support beyond what a person already gets from their current mattress.
- Weight: People choosing a mattress topper may do so because they do not want to lift and replace their old mattress. When this is the case, lighter toppers, which may be easier to maneuver, may be more suitable.
- Reviews: Every person has different mattress preferences. It is helpful to see what people with similar issues think of a given mattress topper. For example, someone with hip osteoarthritis may have different needs from an individual with pregnancy-related hip pain.
MNT chooses mattress toppers that meet the following criteria:
- Size: MNT chooses products that are available in various sizes.
- Materials and fill: MNT selects products comprising different materials and fills, such as memory foam and latex, to suit a range of sleep and lifestyles.
- Budget: MNT features products to suit a wide range of budgets.
- Warranties and return policies: MNT will include products that carry warranties and clear returns policies.
Below, we present a selection of top mattress toppers for hip pain for people to consider.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Best for an affordable topper: SUPERIOR Mattress Topper
- Price: list price from around $65
- Material: down alternative polyfill
- Height: 2 inches (in)
- Shipping weight: 12 pounds (lb)
The most affordable option on the list, this mattress topper is lightweight, but reviewers still say it adds significant support without creating hip pressure points.
The down alternative filling is soft but supportive, ideal for someone who wants a medium-plush mattress.
The microfiber cover is fully washable.
Best for a memory foam topper: Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Topper Supreme
- Price: list price from $359
- Material: memory foam
- Height: 3 in
- Shipping weight: no information available
This memory foam topper offers the comfort of a traditional memory foam mattress at a low price.
The company offers a 10-year warranty, and the cover is removable and washable.
Sleepers who get too warm during sleep can add a cooling topper addition.
Best for a cooler sleep: Tuft & Needle mattress topper
- Price: list price from $200
- Material: cooling foam
- Height: 2 in
- Shipping weight: from 12 lb
This mattress topper offers consistent support that will not hurt the hips when a person sleeps on their side.
The supportive foam feels soft, but reviewers report that they do not feel like they are sinking into it.
The company offers a 3-year warranty and a 30-day return policy.
Best for a latex topper: Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper
- Price: list price from $449
- Material: latex
- Height: 2.5 in
- Shipping weight: from 25 lb
As an alternative to memory foam, latex is similarly supportive but firmer. Avocado also offers a range of vegan mattress toppers.
The Avocado mattress topper uses certified organic materials. Some reviewers note significant pain relief with this topper.
Buyers can choose a plush or firm option and enjoy a 1-year trial and 10-year warranty.
Best for an antimicrobial topper: Molecule Triple Zone Pro Topper
- Price: list price from $199
- Material: polyurethane foam
- Height: 3 in
- Shipping weight: from 15 lb
This 100% polyurethane foam mattress topper features a MOLECULEshield antimicrobial treatment that reportedly helps protect against odors, bacteria, and mold. This may help the topper stay cleaner for longer.
Additionally, Molecule states that the topper has a cool-to-the-touch cover that can help regulate body temperature. The company also says that this topper may help optimize sleep and recovery.
It comes with a 5-year limited warranty.
The following table compares the mattress toppers in this article.
Some alternatives a person may wish to consider include:
- A new mattress: Some mattresses are similar in price to a mattress topper. Moreover, some companies offer free installation, taking the work out of getting a new mattress.
- A wedge or knee pillow: Sometimes, a wedge between the knees helps ease hip pressure.
- An adjustable bed: Adjustable beds offer significant support, and a person can adjust them to their comfort level.
Sometimes, hip pain is just a temporary inconvenience, but it may also be a symptom of a serious underlying health issue, such as arthritis or a broken bone.
A person should seek medical attention if:
- hip pain is so severe that they cannot sleep
- hip pain does not improve with home treatment
- hip pain worsens with time or does not respond to the treatment a doctor has recommended
- a person has other symptoms, such as a fever or trouble walking
Below are answers to some common questions about mattress toppers for hip pain.
Do memory foam toppers help with hip pain?
There is currently no scientific evidence on whether a certain type of material consistently helps relieve hip pain.
However, a person may find memory foam helps their hip pain, as the foam molds to the body and may cushion the joints. However, others may find similar results with different materials.
Is a firm mattress better for hip pain?
Firmness is subjective, and a person should always purchase a mattress that they find most comfortable.
However, most companies offer medium-firm mattresses, which may offer a sufficient level of support and cushioning to relieve pressure on the joints, such as the hips.
People who experience hip pain while sleeping or after waking may wish to try a mattress topper.
A mattress topper is an affordable way to adapt an existing mattress to a person’s needs and preferences. For example, mattress toppers can create a firmer or softer surface to sleep on.
When considering the best mattress topper options for specific health issues, people may wish to seek guidance from a doctor or physical therapist.