We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
To recover from physical activity, people need quality rest. A mattress well-suited to athletes can help support restorative sleep and overall well-being.
The most appropriate mattresses for athletes will help relieve pressure on the most sensitive, overworked body areas. Sleeping on a low quality or unsuitable mattress may cause athletes to feel stiff and unrefreshed when they awaken.
This article explains the features of mattresses that may benefit athletes and reviews the best mattresses for these individuals.
Experts suggest that adults get
Athletes who get poor sleep are more likely to injure themselves. In one study, researchers demonstrated that adolescent athletes who slept less than 8 hours on average were almost twice as likely to have an injury as athletes who slept 8 hours or more on average.
Adequate sleep is essential for athletic performance and success. A
Further investigations are necessary to confirm which mattress features are most appropriate for athletes. Meanwhile, people must rely both on the opinion of other mattress users and on trial and error to find the best mattress for their own needs.
There is little evidence that any type of mattress is particularly beneficial to athletes. The best mattress is one that suits an individual’s preferences and needs.
The best way to determine whether a mattress is suitable is to try it for a few weeks or months. Some mattress manufacturers offer trial periods to allow people to test the mattresses before making a final decision.
Factors that a person may wish to consider when choosing a mattress include:
- Firmness: Mattresses range from soft to firm. A soft mattress will allow a person to sink into the material, while a firm mattress will not give in to pressure easily.
- Thickness: The thickness of a mattress may affect how much comfort and support it provides.
- Pressure relief: Some mattresses offer significant pressure relief, which may help people who experience aches and pains during or after sleep.
- Motion isolation: People who frequently move at night or share a mattress with another person may prefer a mattress with motion isolation. This feature can prevent movement from disturbing sleep.
- Temperature: Many mattresses use cooling materials or technology to help prevent overheating at night.
- Sustainability: Some mattresses comprise sustainable and eco-friendly materials. They may also have certifications to prove that they do not contain harmful chemicals or substances.
Users should consider their body shape, body weight, and preferred sleeping position when trying out different mattresses.
It is important to be wary of any specific health claims that mattress manufacturers make about their products without providing supporting evidence.
A huge range of mattresses is available to purchase. Below, we look at five options that may be particularly suitable for athletes.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information below is purely research-based.
Zoma claim that they designed this mattress specifically with athletes in mind. This mattress may promote high quality rest for people with an active lifestyle.
People can choose between an all-foam mattress and a hybrid mattress that combines foam and springs.
The Zoma Mattress also provides cooling gel memory foam that contours the body and wicks away moisture and warmth. The responsive layer ensures that the user will not sink in too deep and feel “stuck.”
According to the company website, Zoma mattresses facilitate faster muscle recovery, improved performance, and deeper sleep.
It also contains cooling graphite gel memory foam to prevent users from overheating during sleep. The responsive foam provides pressure relief and support regardless of sleeping position.
The materials have CertiPUR-US certification, meaning that they do not contain any harmful chemicals.
Original Purple Mattress
This mattress uses the company’s Purple Smart Comfort Grid technology to reduce pressure points and promote airflow. It also uses motion-isolating technology.
It is hypoallergenic and nontoxic, and the base foam has CertiPUR-US certification.
This mattress provides support and cradling for the shoulders and hips while keeping the back aligned.
The Amerisleep AS3 Mattress
The manufacturers claim that this mattress is tailored to adapt to different body types and sleep positions to relieve pain-causing pressure points.
It is medium-firm and contains Bio-Pur eco-friendly memory foam, which may have a cooling effect that helps prevent heat buildup.
This mattress is comfortable for all sleeping positions, though it may be particularly suitable for side or combination sleepers.
ReST Original Smart Bed
As with the Purple Mattress, this product uses Purple Grid technology, which may support pressure points.
The customizable support for five body zones provides extra comfort. People can also choose from three modes of operation:
- Manual mode adjusts the support at different body zones, including the head, shoulders, back, hips, and legs.
- Autoposition adjusts the support based on the user’s position throughout sleep.
- Automatic mode asks users to select their preferred level of support, and the mattress then adjusts the support at five locations.
As athletes and people who have an active lifestyle are likely to require more rest and recovery, choosing a suitable mattress is particularly key to good quality sleep.
When selecting a mattress, people must consider their body weight and sleeping position, as well as the thickness and firmness that they prefer in a mattress.
Ultimately, a person should choose the mattress that best suits their needs. People can make use of the trial periods that some companies offer to test out a mattress before committing to a decision.