We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Pregnancy can affect sleep in various ways, due to fluctuations in hormones, extra weight, and other changes.
Certain features of a mattress may help ease sleep during pregnancy by helping to regulate temperature, provide pressure relief, and support side sleeping.
Here, we look at some of the best mattresses for sleep during pregnancy and key points to consider when making a choice.
Please note that the statements below are based only on research. No one at Medical News Today, including the writer, has tried these products.
This is a hybrid innerspring mattress. According to the product’s website:
- The mattress contours the body to support the back, hips, and shoulders
- Its memory foam provides pressure point relief to reduce tension in the lower back.
- It supports spinal alignment.
- It has edge support to make getting in and out of bed easier and to increase the sleeping surface area.
- Its individually wrapped coils provide support, reduce motion transfer, and allow for airflow.
- Its steel coil base reduces sagging.
Customers have a 180-night trial.
This cooling memory foam mattress comes with soft, medium-firm, or firm options. According to the product’s website:
- Gel-infused foam helps keep sleepers cool.
- Edge support makes it easier to get in and out of bed and reduces sinking into the mattress.
- The zipped cover is easy to remove and wash.
- The mattress is 12 inches high.
- Its foam layers minimize motion transfer.
- Its knitted cover is made of cooling yarn for temperature control.
The company offer a 120-night trial.
This has a firm and soft side, which may suit changing pregnancy needs. According to the product’s website:
- The mattress’ copper-infused memory foam is cooling and antimicrobial.
- It has individually wrapped coils and edge support.
- Its foam layers allow for airflow.
- Memory foam supports compression areas.
- It supports all sleeping positions.
The mattress comes with a 120-night trial.
Tuft & Needle Hybrid
According to the product’s website, this mattress features:
- pressure-relieving foam to support the hips and shoulders
- springs that respond to pressure points and offer support and bounce, without excess motion transfer or noise
- graphite and gel beads that draw heat and moisture away from the body
- durable, carbon-infused foam that reduces sagging
The company offer 100-night trial.
This is a memory foam mattress, and according to the product’s website, it:
- supports spinal alignment and relieves pressure points
- contours to the body, with minimal sinking
- has a gel foam and Tencel cover for cooling
- has seven layers to support the hips, shoulders, back, and midsection
- has no motion transfer
Customers have a 120-night trial. Outside of the trial period, people can change their mattress for another from WinkBeds and pay 50% of the usual price.
Nectar Memory Foam
This is a medium-firm mattress. According to the product’s website:
- The mattress has minimal motion transfer.
- Its Tencel cover is cooling.
- Its gel memory foam is also cooling and distributes weight evenly.
- Its responsive layer provides support and prevents sinking.
- Its base layer provides extra support and stability.
- It relieves pressure points and supports spinal alignment.
- It is suitable for every type of sleeper.
- The price includes pillows, sheets, and a mattress protector.
The company offer a 365-night trial.
This medium-firm hybrid mattress is ideal for side sleepers. According to the product’s website:
- The mattress’ memory foam relieves pressure.
- Its cover and hybrid design allow for airflow.
- It responds to body type for support and cushioning.
- Its coils provide support and minimize motion transfer.
- It has reinforced edge-support.
- Its base layer provides extra support and durability.
This mattress comes with a 100-night trial.
Brooklyn Aurora Hybrid
This mattress has positive reviews that highlight its cooling effect. According to the product’s website:
- The copper within has cooling and antimicrobial properties.
- The mattress contours the body and targets pressure points.
- It maintains a skin temperature of 88oF.
- Its gel beads react to hot and cold to provide the ideal temperature.
- Its memory foam layer and coils provide support and minimize motion transfer.
- Its high-density foam base provides durability
- A person can choose between soft, medium, and firm options.
Customers have a 120-night trial.
This is a medium-firm memory foam mattress. According to the product’s website:
- The mattress’ plant-based technology draws away heat and allows for airflow.
- It relieves pressure points.
- It bounces back quickly to prevent sinking.
- It does not sag and is suitable for all sleeping positions.
- The manufacturing involved no harsh chemicals.
The company offer a 100-night trial.
Alexander Signature Hybrid
This has memory foam and coil layers. According to the product’s website:
- The mattress is suitable for side, back, front, or combination sleepers.
- There is an option of adding extra layers to suit preferences and increase the product’s lifespan.
- Larger sizes can be tailor-made for partners with different sleeping needs.
- It contains a temperature-regulating layer.
- The titanium-infused memory foam offers pressure relief.
This mattress comes with a 100-night money-back guarantee.
It may help to consider the following points when shopping for a mattress that supports sleep during pregnancy:
- Quality: Look for durable, long-lasting materials and check the warranty.
- Supports side sleeping: Research suggests that this position is best during the third trimester.
- Pressure relief: Materials such as memory foam or latex can contour to the body and relieve pressure on joints, muscles, the hips, and the back.
- Firmness: Sleeping can change as the pregnancy develops, so it may help to choose a mattress that has a firm and a soft side or one that has the option of adding extra layers. Also, mattress toppers can be an easy way to change the level of firmness.
- Sagging: Look for a mattress with added support to prevent sagging under increased weight.
- Edge support: A reinforced edge can make it easier to get in and out of bed when this becomes more difficult.
- Temperature regulation: During pregnancy, the body’s temperature can increase. A cooling mattress may be a good idea.
- Minimal noise and motion transfer: This may improve the quality of sleep, especially when sleeping with a partner.
- Free set-up: Many mattress companies offer free delivery and set-up, which is sometimes known as a white glove service.
Some mattresses may help improve sleep during pregnancy. It may help to choose one with cooling technology, pressure relief, reinforced edges, and support for side sleeping.
Finding a high-quality mattress that also supports all sleep positions may also mean that it lasts for many years beyond the pregnancy.