We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Murphy beds are space-saving beds that pull down from an upright position and store vertically or horizontally against walls or inside a closet. People tend to use Murphy beds for smaller areas of the home or guest bedrooms.
This article explores how a Murphy bed works, its pros and cons, and some of the best Murphy beds to consider.
A Murphy bed is a type of bed hinged at one end that allows a person to fold it and store it against a wall or inside a cabinet. People often use them when they live in smaller apartments or for guest or childrens’ bedrooms.
Murphy beds sometimes go by alternative names, such as:
- wall bed
- pull-down bed
- fold-down bed
- folding bed
Some of the factors a person should consider before choosing a Murphy bed include:
- Would a multifunctional option be preferable? Some Murphy beds fold to reveal shelving or cabinet space.
- What are the dimensions and layout of the room? Some Murphy beds fold horizontally, and others vertically. A person’s ceiling height and where they would like to position their bed may determine which is more suitable.
- What mechanism does the bed have? Murphy beds usually have a piston or a spring mechanism. Both mechanisms make it easier for a person to move the bed into position, but pistons typically have a locking mechanism. However, springs may last longer and hold more weight.
- Durability: Some materials are more durable and sturdier than others. Many people consider solid wood the most durable material for Murphy beds, but they can be more expensive.
- What are the returns policies, shipping, and installation? A person should check the returns policy and shipping policy of the Murphy bed before purchase. Installation instructions are likely available online, so a person may also consider whether they can install it themselves or need professional assistance.
Some benefits of Murphy beds:
- space saving
- some multifunction models double as shelving or storage
- a good option for guest bedrooms
Some risks associated with Murphy beds:
- could be dangerous if not used or installed correctly
- may require professional installation
- not durable
- can be an expensive option
- difficult for some individuals to fold away
- bedsheets and pillows may become tangled and damaged
There is minimal research available around folding or movable beds, but experts generally acknowledge that some beds may not be suitable for long-term use.
- being consistent with sleep and wake times, even on weekends
- making sure the sleep space is quiet, dark, free from electronic devices, and a comfortable temperature
- not eating big meals or consuming caffeine or alcohol a few hours before going to sleep
- taking part in physical activity during the daytime
Here, we look at a few examples of Murphy beds available for a person to consider.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
Lori Wall Bed
The Lori Wall Bed is a more affordable Murphy bed, possibly because it does not have a lifting mechanism like most others. The company recommend that two adults lift and lower the bed together.
The Lori Wall Bed comes in either a twin or queen size and is available in four colors. A person can also choose to purchase the bed in a vertical or horizontal orientation.
This model is made from 100% birch plywood, making it strong and durable. It also features shelving, both when it is in use as a bed and when folded away.
When an individual purchases this bed, the company will supply assembly instructions via email.
The company operate a 60-day money-back guarantee, free shipping, and a lifetime warranty.
Night and Day Daisy Murphy Queen Buttercream Cabinet Bed
The Daisy Murphy Cabinet Bed takes up only 10 square feet of floor space when closed up in cabinet form.
This model converts into a queen-sized bed and includes a gel memory foam mattress. Whether this model is in cabinet form or bed form, it has a bottom functional storage drawer. The bed comes only in a horizontal orientation.
The manufacturer states that the solid hardwood Daisy Murphy transitions from a cabinet to a bed in less than one minute. Assembly instructions are available online.
The bed also features a convenient built-in dual power USB module.
The Daisy Cabinet Bed comes with a limited 10-year warranty, and a limited 3-year warranty covers the mattress.
Shipping is free, and the company advise most products come with a 30-day return policy from receipt of purchase.
Bestar Queen Murphy Bed
Bestar stock a variety of Murphy beds. For this model, a person must have a minimum ceiling height of 90.4 inches (in), and a person must ensure they attach the cabinet to a wall. It is only available in a vertical orientation.
Made from laminated particleboard and stainless steel, the bed does not come with a mattress but can support most types of queen mattresses.
The bed features a dual-piston system that aids a person in folding down and putting the bed away safely and quickly.
The company offer an online assembly guide.
The company offer a 5-year manufacturer warranty and a 30-day return policy. Shipping is free to most places in the contiguous United States and Canada.
Atlantic Furniture Southampton Murphy Bed Chest
This Atlantic murphy bed folds into a chest of drawers. A person must assemble the cabinet, but the base comes fully assembled.
The bed is available to purchase in two sizes, five colors, and five styles. Included is a gel-infused memory foam folding mattress with pull handles that make it easier for a person to open and close the bed.
This furniture is made from satin-finished wood and also has two USB charging points built into the bed.
The manufacturer offers a 1-year limited warranty.
Bedder Way Vertical Wood Mirror Face Murphy Bed
This model from Bedder Way is a more expensive option but is almost entirely customizable.
The Bedder Way Murphy bed is available in a vertical orientation and four sizes: twin, XL twin, full, and queen. It does not come with a mattress, but customers can buy one as an add-on product or purchase one elsewhere.
It is essential to attach the bed to a wall. A mirror sits on the front of the cabinet, which becomes the underside of the bed.
Installation instructions come with the delivery of the bed.
Customization options include:
- a choice of material — oak or maple
- choice of stain and handle color
- extra depth to accommodate some sizes of mattresses
- lighting options within the bed and cabinet
- choice of square, angled, or standard crown molding
- a selection of screws and fixings suitable for a person’s wall
- baseboard notch to fit over a skirting board
Bedder Way offer a 10-year warranty on all mechanical parts.
Urbino Murphy Bed with Sofa
The Urbino Murphy bed comes with a sofa as well as a compatible mattress in the appropriate size.
A person can purchase this model in a European king, queen, or full size, in a white-grey color combination. The bed has a vertical orientation.
The company recommend professional assembly as the bed requires secure mounting to a wall to ensure safety. It also has a special mechanism to stop the bed from opening accidentally.
A person can choose a 5-year protection warranty plan at an additional cost and return their purchase within 30 days.
There are a variety of alternative space-saving beds, including:
- trundle or truckle beds
- sofa beds
- loft beds
- bunk beds
Murphy beds are a good option for people who want to save space in their homes, and most Murphy beds have a dual function.
A person should research the different brands offering Murphy beds, consider installation, frequency of use, and ease of folding.