We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
According to mattress review sites, plush, or soft, mattresses may best suit side sleepers, people with a lighter weight, and those looking for significant pressure relief.
This article will look at the evidence behind the pros and cons of plush mattresses, some points to consider when choosing, and some of the best plush mattresses according to researching the market.
According to mattress review sites, a soft mattress may best suit side sleepers and people with lighter body weights.
A soft mattress may contour to the body, allowing people to sink into the mattress and providing pressure relief for certain parts of the body.
However, plush mattresses may not suit people looking for optimal back support or spinal alignment.
According to the same article, most doctors do not recommend a soft or a very firm mattress for people with lower back pain. A medium-firm mattress may be the best option for people with low back pain.
According to the International Chiropractors Association, using a mattress without enough support will not allow proper spinal alignment, causing the muscles to have to work harder to support the body.
A mattress that is too firm can cause excess pressure on the shoulders, hips, and lower back.
People should choose a mattress that contours to the body’s heavier parts while also keeping the spine aligned. Choosing the highest level of firmness and support that people find comfortable can provide healthful support for the spine.
According to mattress review sites, plush mattresses may not be as long lasting as firmer mattresses due to using softer, less durable materials. People can check to see if a mattress has anti-sag features and uses durable materials.
A good quality mattress should have a minimum warranty of 10 years.
If a person has back pain, they may want to look for an orthopedic mattress that is specifically designed to support the joints and provide spinal alignment.
People may also want to consider how eco-friendly a mattress is and whether or not it contains chemical fire retardants or volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which can be harmful to health.
People can also look for CertiPur-US to check that the mattress has low VOC emissions and whether or not the mattress uses third party-certified organic materials.
The type of material may affect the pressure relief that a mattress provides. For example, one 2017 study found that a latex mattress reduced pressure points better than a polyurethane mattress for a range of sleeping postures.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried any of these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
Brooklyn Bedding Aurora
The Aurora mattress is a hybrid mattress, combining foam and coils. People can choose from soft, medium, or firm. According to the manufacturer, the soft option may best suit people who:
- sleep on their side
- want greater pressure point relief
- need gentle support for contours of the body
- enjoy the “hugging” feel that some mattresses provide
Some features of the Aurora mattress include:
- gel beads and copper that control temperature for a cooler sleep
- memory foam that responds to body movements and provides support
- high density foam that provides durability
According to the product website, the Helix Sunset is a hybrid mattress with a plush feel that also provides pressure relief. It rates 2–3 on the firmness scale.
The company claims that this mattress is ideal for restless or side sleepers.
Some other features include:
- a memory foam layer, to support pressure points
- a breathable design and coil layer, which allow airflow for a cooler sleep
- CertiPUR-US and OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100 certification
Casper Nova Hybrid
According to the manufacturers, the Nova Hybrid is a plush hybrid mattress that still provides support and a cool sleeping environment.
The company claims that this mattress:
- has a soft, velvety-feeling plush top with pillow-like fabrics
- allows airflow and wicks away warm air
- supports spinal alignment
- relieves pressure around the shoulders, waist, hips, and lower back
- has firm edge support
The WinkBed Classic may suit people who are looking for a plush mattress with greater back support.
Although it is a medium-firm mattress, there is a soft option with a firmness rating of 4.5, which may best suit side sleepers.
- has a pillow top with three layers to relieve pressure and contour to the body
- supports the joints and spinal alignment
- contains coils and springs that allow airflow and provide support to targeted areas
- reduces motion transfer
DreamCloud Luxury Hybrid
Although this is a medium-firm mattress, review sites rated it highly as a luxurious-feeling mattress that best suits side sleepers and people with lighter weights.
According to the product website, some other features include:
- a quilted foam and cashmere top
- gel memory foam that contours to the body and provides pressure relief
- coils that respond to sleeping style and reduce motion transfer
The Amerisleep AS5 is a soft memory foam mattress. According to the product website, this mattress:
- is breathable and wicks away warm air to provide a cooler sleeping surface
- relieves pressure points
- contains memory foam that bounces back quickly
- is low in VOCs with a CertiPUR-US certification
- will not sag
- comes with a 20-year warranty
Nest Bedding Alexander Hybrid
The Alexander Hybrid offers a plush option that rates low on the firmness scale.
According to the product website, this mattress contains CertiPUR-US-certified foam and is suitable for all sleep styles.
Some other features include:
- a quilted top, for comfort
- a temperature regulating foam layer
- a replaceable comfort layer
Amore Luxury Hybrid
The Amore Luxury Hybrid mattress may suit people looking for a more sustainable option. The mattress uses global organic trading standard organic cotton and wool and global organic latex standard latex.
The medium option has a firmness rating of 4–5.
Some other features include:
- a breathable, hypoallergenic sleeping surface
- organic wool, to regulate temperature and provide natural flame resistance
- organic latex, to support spinal alignment and relieve pressure points
- coils, to allow airflow
- a base layer, to provide extra durability
- OKEO-TEX- and CertiPUR-US-certified foam
- carbon neutral-certified latex foam
A soft mattress may best suit side sleepers and people with lighter body weights. People looking for back support and spinal alignment may find that a medium-firm mattress is best.
If a person wants a plush mattress that also offers support, many mattresses combine a soft, cushioned top with support and pressure relief layers below.
If a person is unsure if a soft mattress is right for them, adding a mattress topper may be a cheap option to add an extra layer of comfort and softness to an existing mattress.