We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Shower chairs are waterproof chairs that a person can use when showering. They may best suit those with limited mobility or who are unstable on their feet, for example, if an individual has Parkinson’s disease.
- Best for easy storage and high user weight capacity: Carex Bath Seat and Shower Chair
- Best lightweight and hight-adjustable: Dr. Maya Adjustable Shower Chair
- Best for 360 degree seat rotation: Healthline Bath Bench
- Best for wheelchair users: Platinum Health Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench
- Best for angled leg stability: OasisSpace Shower Chair
- Best for suction-style stability: Drive Medical Bathroom Bench
- Best hip-conforming seat: SUMGREEN Adjustable Bamboo Shower Seat
- Best for fixing to a wall: Clevr Teak Wood Modern Folding Shower Seat Bench
- Best foam-passed seat: PCP Foam Padded Bath Shower Safety Seat
This article looks at how and who shower chairs can help, a list of products, and how to choose a shower chair.
One 2016 study supplied a list of daily activities to people with the condition with the aim of improving their quality of life. One of these activities included sitting while showering. The results showed these helped individuals grow in independence.
Shower chairs can reduce the risk of falling or slipping while showering. This may build confidence and independence, as a person may require less assistance with their personal hygiene.
The authors of a 2019 review found that the most critical aspect of a shower chair included stability, comfort, and adjustability.
Shower chairs may benefit:
- people with Parkinson’s disease
- older adults
- those with conditions that affect their balance
- individuals with conditions affecting movement
- wheelchair users
Below are some shower chairs that a person may consider.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Best for transportation and high user weight capacity
This product is suitable for both the bath and shower. It consists of robust plastic that can hold up to 400 pounds (lb) in weight. It also has an extra-large seating area, which may suit those with larger body sizes or a higher body mass index.
The chair’s legs can easily adjust to suit a person’s height and range from 16 to 21 inches (in).
Individuals can also dismantle the chair for easy storage and transportation.
The Carex Bath Seat And Shower Chair is available to purchase online for around $55.
Best lightweight and hight-adjustable
This product is available with or without padded armrests and can hold up to 300 lb in weight. The leg height is adjustable, while the back of the chair is removable. The chair’s legs comprise an anti-corrosion aluminum design with anti-slip rubber feet.
Each purchase comes with a free shower handle for additional safety.
It is lightweight and features a design that should fit any type of bathtub.
The Dr. Maya Adjustable Shower Chair is available to purchase online for around $70.
Best for 360 degree seat rotation
This product features a round rotating padded seat, which can rotate 360 degrees. This means a person may reach items around them more easily.
Under the seat, there is a storage tray with drainage holes, while the legs are adjustable.
This seat also has an aluminum frame and non-slip rubber feet. It can support a user weight of up to 350 lb.
The Healthline Bath Bench is available to purchase online for around $50.
Best for wheelchair users
This padded bench is a sliding bath or shower chair and may best suit wheelchair users. It also features a backrest and padded armrests, and a person can adjust both the legs and armrests.
The chair includes a safety belt, and the seat can swivel or lock into place. It also features a rustproof aluminum frame with non-slip rubber feet.
This chair has a maximum weight capacity of up to 330 lb.
The Platinum Health Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench is available to purchase online for around $300.
Best for angled leg stability
This backless stool features legs that adjust to six different heights. The anodized aluminum frame is lightweight, durable, and can support up to 300 lb in weight.
The legs are slightly angled to provide stability and feature non-slip, anti-skid rubber feet.
The OasisSpace Shower Chair is available to purchase online for around $35.
Best for suction-style stabilty
Drive Medical claims this durable plastic bench can fit any shape bathtub or shower.
The legs are adjustable in 0.5-in increments, and the feet have suction-style tips to provide added stability. The chair has a weight capacity of up to 350 lb.
The material is scratchproof, and its drainage holes can help reduce slipping.
The Drive Medical Bathroom Bench is available to purchase online for around $40.
Best hip-conforming seat
This product is available in brown or wood effect. The seat consists of eco-friendly natural bamboo, while the frame comprises sturdy aluminum and has suction cups for feet. The stool can hold up to 300 lb of weight.
There are eight different heights available. It adopts a fan shape for the seat, which conforms to the shape of a person’s hips for added comfort. The seat also features three drainage holes.
Further information about SUMGREEN Adjustable Bamboo Shower Seat is available to purchase online for around $50.
Best for fixing to a wall
This shower seat attaches to a wall, and a person can fold it down for use. However, it is important to install this item correctly to avoid injury.
The chair has a maximum user weight capacity of 400 lb and comprises durable teak wood. It has a stainless steel frame, solid steel brackets, rust-free plastic covers, and a chrome finish.
The Clevr Teak Wood Modern Folding Shower Seat Bench is available to purchase online for around $165.
Best for foam-padded seat
This seat features a hygienic cut-out in the middle of the seat, so a person can easily clean their perineal area.
The seat has foam padding for added comfort, and the adjustable frame is rustproof.
Additionally, the feet have non-slip rubber for extra stability, and the seat’s maximum user weight capacity is 300 lb.
The PCP Foam Padded Bath Shower Safety Seat is available to purchase online for around $53.
Before making a purchase, a person may consider the following features:
- Adjustable height: A chair with an adjustable height may suit households where more than one person may use it.
- Weight capacity: Individuals may wish to check the weight capacity and seating area size to ensure it is suitable for their needs.
- Style: A person may prefer a shower seat that features a back or arms. Alternatively, they might opt for a chair that serves as a simple stool. Some chairs and benches can mount to a wall, but they may require professional installation for safety.
- Materials: Many shower chairs are plastic with an aluminum base. However, some products feature a wooden design that may best suit individuals who prefer eco-friendly products.
Shower chairs may benefit those with reduced mobility and balance or movement conditions. They may promote independence and allow a person to sit down in the bath or shower to minimize falls or injuries.
There are various styles of shower chairs available to consider. Most chairs have adjustable legs, so individuals can change their height.