We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Sleep chairs are reclining chairs that are suitable for sleeping. Often, they feature a lift function that a person can use to help them stand up from the chair. These chairs may be beneficial for people with Parkinson’s disease, as they can include massage functions, provide a comfortable position for sleep, and help individuals stay safe when changing positions.
This article looks at why sleep chairs may be useful, provides a list of products to consider, and discusses how to choose the best sleep chair for a person’s needs.
Parkinson’s disease is a neurological condition that gradually worsens over time, affecting the nervous system and causing movement issues. The main symptoms a person may experience include tremors, stiffness, and slowness of movement.
This condition currently affects approximately 1 million Americans.
The cause of Parkinson’s is unknown, but it could develop due to a mix of genetic and environmental factors. According to the
According to a 2016 study, pain can affect over
A sleep chair can help a person get into and out of bed more easily. They can also adjust their sleep position with their sleep chair to make sure they are in a comfortable sleeping position.
Acid reflux is also
A sleep chair can help an individual stand up slowly and safely.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
With just one button as a control, a person can recline the Med Lift 5555 chair to a sleeping position or tilt it upwards to help them get up from the chair. An individual can also adjust the back and leg rest separately, so they can sit in any position they wish.
The Med Lift 5555 features a memory foam seat with pocketed coil springs.
There are also multiple recline levels, a movable infrared heat function, and optional vibrate and massage functions.
It has a space-saving wall-away feature, meaning a person can put the chair 3.5 inches (in) away from a wall and still recline the chair fully.
It has a maximum weight capacity of 375 pounds (lb), while the seat width is 20.5 in. There is also a petite version available that features an 18-in seat.
The Med Lift Full Sleeper 5555 costs $1,388.
A person can choose between a range of colors and materials when buying this chair, including:
- Genuine Italian leather: This is available in a chestnut color.
- DuraLux: Provides a classic leather look and is available in four colors: tan, mahogany, chocolate, and blue.
- MicroLux: A soft microfiber fabric with 100% polyester filaments that is available in four colors: cashmere, burgundy, chocolate, and indigo.
A person can choose to use the chair in a wide range of different positions, from completely flat to upright. They can also use the chair’s lift function to help them get out of the chair easily. A remote control helps them change the settings and position.
Additional heat and massage functions are also optional extras.
The Perfect Sleep Chair features a lifetime warranty.
The cost of the chair will vary depending on which features a person chooses, but they can range from $1,999 to $2,699.
According to the manufacturer, the VivaLift Radiance chair can adjust to any position a person needs. It features independently adjustable foot, back, and headrests.
There are three heat pads within the shoulder, lumbar, and seat cushions. There is also a cup holder and a wireless phone charger in the armrests.
People can choose between four colors and four size options depending on their height. The maximum weight capacity for this chair is 400 lb.
There is also a lithium battery backup if the mains power goes down.
The VivaLift Radiance PLR 3955 costs $1,609.
This chair is available in three colors and consists of a plush, polyester fabric with padded arms. It has a 450 lb maximum weight capacity, and the manufacturer claims it is suitable for use while sleeping and sitting. There is also a lift function.
A person controls the settings using a remote control.
According to the product description, the coils in the seat are individually wrapped in foam and feature a gel-infused memory foam cover.
The motor operates quietly and includes a battery backup feature.
The Catnapper Omni 45 Inch Wide Recliner costs $1,389.
This chair has an eight-point heated massage vibration option, with four massage points in both the backrest and the leg rest. The headrest is also adjustable, and a person can control the chair using the remote.
According to the online product description, the chair consists of flannelette filled with superfine fibers, which provide comfort and warmth.
The chair’s maximum weight capacity is 330 lb.
The manufacturer states the electric motor has a silent operation.
The Mecor Power Lift Recliner Lift Chair costs $493.99.
This chair is available in multiple materials and colors, including red chenille, grey leather, and brown leather.
This chair has four massage nodes for the back and lumbar areas and a heated waist pillow.
A person can adjust the back and footrests individually. They can also adjust the chair with the remote control.
The chair has a dual-motor design, which, according to the manufacturer, is quiet and can run independently.
The company also claims the chair’s metal frame and padded sponge help ensure durability.
The Irene House Dual Motor Lift Recliner costs $759.99.
A few things to think about when purchasing a sleep chair for use with Parkinson’s disease may include:
- Adjustability: Many sleep recliner chairs have adjustable head or leg rests. Some also have many positions, so a person can find exactly the right one for them.
- Materials: People can consider which material they would find the most comfortable and most durable. Some may also wish to consider how easy the material will be to clean.
- Size: A person should check the chair can accommodate their height and weight. They should also ensure they have enough space to accommodate it in their living space, as the chair will need to be away from a wall.
- Additional features: Many sleep chairs also have massage, vibration, or heat functions. A person may wish to consider if they would benefit from these features.
- Price: Some chairs have a set price, which will vary depending on the features a person chooses to include. People may wish to check which features come with the chair as standard and which functions are extras that will increase its cost.
Sleep chairs may be helpful for people living with Parkinson’s. They may assist with musculoskeletal pain with heat and massage features, reduce the risk of falls due to low blood pressure, and help a person get in and out of bed easily if they use the chair for sleeping.
Additionally, an individual may wish to consider factors, such as adjustability, materials, price, and size, before making a purchase.