We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Many companies offer oil- and fragrance-free, lightweight sunscreens that are suitable for oily skin.
- Best overall sunscreen for oily skin: EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
- Best sunscreen for acne-prone skin: Cetaphil PRO Oil Absorbing Moisturizer SPF 30
- Best mist sunscreen for oily skin: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Face Mist Sunscreen
- Best sunscreen for sensitive skin: La Roche-Posay Anthelios AOX Antioxidant Serum with SPF 50 Sunscreen
- Best hydrating sunscreen for oily skin: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Lotion SPF 30
- Best sunscreen for under makeup: Avène Mineral Tinted Compact SPF 50
- Best powder sunscreen for oily skin: Tarte Tarteguard Mineral Powder Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- Best sunscreen for humid weather: Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40
Not all sunscreens are good for oily skin. Some contain oil and chemicals that could increase an oily appearance or clog pores.
The American Academy of Dermatology Association (AAD) recommends ways to care for oily skin, including:
- using oil-free, noncomedogenic products, which do not clog pores
- using a daily moisturizer with SPF 30 or higher
- wearing an oil-free sunscreen that contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide every day
When purchasing sunscreen for oily skin, look for products that are:
- Oil-free: This is important for people who have oily skin.
- Fragrance-free: This is important for people with sensitive skin, which scented products can irritate.
- Moisture resistant: This is important on hot days, when swimming, or when doing anything outdoors that involves sweating.
- High SPF: Products with a high SPF offer better sun protection.
How we choose products
Medical News Today chooses products that meet the following criteria:
- Price: The products available for a wide range of budgets.
- Ingredients: Theyclearly list all ingredients.
- Safety: The ingredients are safe for topical use.
In the following section, we list eight of the best sunscreens for oily skin.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and was correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Best overall sunscreen for oily skin: EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
- Price: $37
- Size: 1.7 ounces (oz)
- Pro: It has multiple uses.
- Con: Some reviewers describe irritation and breakouts after use.
This sunscreen may be suitable for sensitive and acne-prone skin. It may also work well under makeup.
There are tinted and non-tinted forms. The company says that the product leaves no residue and is scent-free.
Best sunscreen for acne-prone skin: Cetaphil PRO Oil Absorbing Moisturizer SPF 30
- Price: Around $16.97 on Amazon
- Size: 4 fluid ounces (fl oz)
- Pro: It moisturizes.
- Con: Some reviewers describe an oily feeling.
This oil-absorbing moisturizer sunscreen may suit people with acne-prone skin.
According to the company’s website, this reduces shine and dryness without clogging pores.
Best mist sunscreen for oily skin: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Face Mist Sunscreen
- Price: $17.49
- Size: 3.4 fl oz
- Pro: SPF 55
- Con: Some reviewers describe an oily residue.
The company markets this as a lightweight, oil-free mist that is quick and easy to apply.
It says that the product does not clog pores, making it useful for helping to prevent acne.
Best sunscreen for sensitive skin: La Roche-Posay Anthelios AOX Antioxidant Serum with SPF 50 Sunscreen
- Price: $42.50
- Size: 1 fl oz
- Pro: It is suitable for use under makeup.
- Con: It is more expensive than many products.
The company markets this sunscreen as ideal for the face and other sensitive areas.
It says that the formula is oil-free, safe for all skin types, and rich in antioxidants that may help reduce the appearance of fine lines and dark spots.
Best hydrating sunscreen for oily skin: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Lotion SPF 30
- Price: $11.99
- Size: 3 fl oz
- Pro: It is less expensive than many products.
- Con: Some reviewers describe skin irritation and breakouts after use.
The company sells a wide range of oil-free, lightweight sunscreens.
It says that this product is nongreasy, hydrating, and suitable for use under makeup.
Best sunscreen for under makeup: Avène Mineral Tinted Compact SPF 50
- Price: $36
- Size: not specified
- Pro: It may be suitable for sensitive skin.
- Con: It is more costly than some products.
The company sells two shades for a base layer of makeup that also provides sun protection. It says that this product:
- is nongreasy
- does not irritate sensitive skin
- is water resistant
- has a mirror for easy application
Best powder sunscreen for oily skin: Tarte Tarteguard Mineral Powder Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- Price: $28
- Size: 0.28 oz
- Pro: It is suitable for vegans and cruelty-free.
- Con: Some reviewers describe difficulties applying it.
This powder concealer helps absorb oil while protecting the skin from the sun.
The company says the powder contains both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, as well as a light vanilla fragrance.
Best sunscreen for humid weather: Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40
- Price: $36
- Size: 1.7 oz
- Pro: It is suitable for use under makeup.
- Con: It is more expensive than some products.
According to the company, this sunscreen is virtually invisible, extremely lightweight, and leaves the skin feeling soft and smooth.
The company says that the formula is suitable for sensitive skin and use under makeup.
Oily skin is a
If a person has consistently oily skin that is difficult to manage, they might consider consulting a dermatologist.
Below, find answers to common questions about sunscreen for oily skin.
Which sunscreen is better for oily skin?
A person should avoid products containing oil, as this may clog pores.
According to the AAD, people with oily skin should look for sunscreens that:
- contain zinc oxide and titanium dioxide
- have broad-spectrum protection
- have an SPF of 30 or higher
- are water resistant
Can people with oily skin use sunscreen?
People with oily skin should use sunscreen to protect against skin cancer and sun damage.
How much SPF is good for oily skin?
Oil-free, noncomedogenic sunscreens are ideal for people with oily skin. Some are also hydrating, moisture resistant, and suitable for use under makeup.