We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
A waterproof mattress protector may help protect the mattress from urine, sweat, drool, spills, dust mites, allergens, and bedbugs.
- Best breathable option: Linenspa Mattress Encasement
- Best organic cotton: PlushBeds Organic Cotton Mattress Protector
- Best hypoallergenic: SafeRest Premium Hypoallergenic Waterproof Mattress Protector
- Best bug-proof: Utopia Bedding Bed Bug Proof & Waterproof Premium Zippered
- Best protection: UltraBlock UltraPlush Premium Waterproof Mattress Protector
- Best size range: Lucid Premium Rayon from Bamboo Jersey Mattress Protector
- Best machine washable: Tastelife Waterproof Mattress Pad Protector Cover
- Best bamboo option: Utopia Bedding Bamboo Mattress Protector
- Best with a 10-year warranty: Vekkia Mattress Protector
There are some considerations a person should make before choosing a waterproof mattress covering, including:
- Materials: Some individuals may prefer natural fabrics and materials that are soft on the skin and breathable. For example, materials such as
natural woolsmay help a person fall asleep and regulate their body temperature.
- Full or partial covering: Waterproof protectors may attach to the corners of a mattress to protect the surface only, or they may fully encase it with a zip closure.
- Type of protection: Some waterproof mattress covers protect from not only liquids but also dust mites, bacteria, and other allergens.
- Cleaning options: A mattress protector does not typically require specialist cleaning, but a person may prefer to purchase one that specifically states it is machine washable.
Pros and cons
As with most products, an individual may expect some advantages and disadvantages of a waterproof mattress protector. These can include:
Mattress protection may help extend the lifespan of a mattress, meaning that a person can wait longer before replacing it.
Below, we look at nine waterproof mattress protectors that people may consider.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Best breathable option
This protector covers the entire mattress and zips shut. It can accommodate mattresses up to 12 inches (in) deep.
The manufacturer states that it consists of:
- a polyurethane barrier that keeps out liquids, dust mites, bed bugs, and allergens
- breathable fabric
- a smooth top that is noiseless and hypoallergenic
The protector comes in seven sizes, and people can launder it in the washing machine and dryer.
Best organic cotton
This mattress protector reportedly consists of certified organic cotton on the top and a micro-thin polyurethane layer on the underside.
The manufacturer states that it is 100% waterproof and protects against spills, stains, and dust mites.
The mattress protector comes in 12 sizes and is machine washable.
The top part of this protector consists of a hypoallergenic terry cotton material, with a polyurethane layer underneath.
The manufacturer says that this product protects against:
- bodily fluids, such as urine and sweat
- dust mites
The company also recommends it for people with allergies, asthma, or eczema.
It is suitable for machine washing and drying.
The protector is available in seven sizes and has a 10-year warranty.
This mattress protector has a terry cotton top layer and a polyurethane membrane bottom layer. It encases the entire mattress with a zip closure.
The company states that it is:
- dust mite-proof
It is available in four sizes and is machine washable.
The manufacturer claims that the waterproof backing on this mattress protector provides 65% more protection than other brands and guards against:
- pet accidents
The company also says it is hypoallergenic and blocks dust mites and other allergens, such as mold and mildew.
The top layer consists of micro-velour.
The protector is machine washable and comes in seven sizes, accommodating mattresses 9–18 in deep.
Best size range
This mattress protector consists of 70% rayon from bamboo and 30% cotton.
The manufacturer states that it protects the mattress from:
- dust mites
It is available in six sizes and can fit on mattresses up to 18 in deep, which could be suitable for memory foam and pillow-top mattresses.
It is machine washable and comes with a 15-year warranty.
Best machine washable
This mattress protector consists of 80% cotton and 20% polyester. The manufacturer says it does not contain vinyl, fire retardants, or other chemicals.
The company states the product protects the mattress from bodily fluids and liquids.
It is available in six different sizes, which can accommodate mattresses up to 18 in deep.
It is machine washable.
Best bamboo option
This mattress protector consists of 70% polyester and 30% rayon from bamboo.
In addition, the company says it is:
- dust mite-proof
- machine washable
The mattress protector stretches to fit mattresses up to 16 in deep and comes in six sizes.
It is machine washable, and the manufacturer states it can go in the dryer.
Best with a 10-year warranty
This mattress protector consists of 90% terry cotton and 10% rayon.
The company says it can protect the mattress from bodily fluids, including urine and sweat.
The product comes in six sizes and is machine washable. It also has a 10-year warranty.
Here, we look at some common questions around waterproof mattress protectors.
How do I clean a waterproof mattress protector?
A person can typically clean waterproof fabrics in a washing machine, which usually requires a low heat setting. A higher washing heat may make the waterproof material less effective or even prevent it from being waterproof at all.
How often should I clean a waterproof mattress protector?
People should clean a soiled mattress protector immediately, taking care to follow the manufacturer’s care instructions.
How many waterproof mattress protectors should I have?
Individuals should consider having two protectors per mattress. This way, if one needs cleaning, the other can replace it.
In addition to finding a comfortable mattress protector, adopting sleep hygiene practices may help people improve their sleep. They can do this by:
- aiming to go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day
- ensuring that the bedroom is dark, quiet, and relaxing
- making sure that the bedroom is a comfortable temperature
- removing electronic devices, such as TVs, computers, and mobile phones
- avoiding consuming large meals and caffeine before bed
- using stress management techniques, such as mindfulness, meditation, or yoga
Waterproof mattress protectors can help protect mattresses from various fluids, including urine and sweat.
They may also help protect against bedbugs, dust mites, and other potential allergens.
Many different waterproof mattress protectors are available to purchase online, and the best option will depend on a person’s lifestyle and preferences.