We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
The Big Fig mattress may suit a person with a larger frame or those with obesity.
Big Fig’s mattress is sturdy, and the company claims it can support more weight than a standard mattress.
This article discusses the Big Fig brand and its products and looks into how mattresses can affect a person’s health.
Customers can shop for mattresses online, and the company will organize delivery to their home. Big Fig also offers a trial period, so people can try a mattress at home and return it for a full refund.
Big Fig’s marketing focuses on the quality and strength of its materials. It states that its mattress will not sag, supporting up to 1,100 pounds (lb) of combined weight.
On the Big Fig website, users have submitted positive 4- and 5-star ratings. The manufacturer states it has an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars from over 3,700 reviews on its site.
However, people should note that companies may filter ratings on their sites. As the mattress is not listed on Amazon or other retailer websites, it may be difficult to find alternative reviews.
On Trustpilot, there are just two reviews for the company. The brand has a star rating of 3.7 out of 5 stars based on one 1-star review, and one 5-star review.
The positive review claims that the mattress is supportive, improved the user’s lower back pain, and the buyer appreciated the long warranty and sleep trial. They note that the mattress is tall and heavy, so it may be difficult to set up and get into for smaller people.
The 1-star review states that the foam has degraded after 5 years of use and the middle and edges of the mattress are sagging. The reviewer also notes that a person cannot claim on the company’s warranty if the indents in the mattress are shallower than an inch. The company does not take the effect of indents when a person is sleeping on the mattress into account.
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) has given Big Fig a C rating, although the company is not accredited with the BBB. There are just two reviews on the BBB, and the overall star rating is 1 out of 5.
One customer stated that the warranty does not cover natural disasters and they were dissatisfied with the company’s response to their request for help replacing the mattress. Another customer wrote that they had issues with the financing agreement.
There are two complaints against Big Fig on BBB, but only one is available online. The customer claims they did not receive a refund for a mattress they returned within the trial period.
This shows that the company has a mixed reputation online and more critical reviews may not be represented on the Big Fig website.
Big Fig offers one mattress and other sleep products such as a bed frame, adjustable base, and a mattress protector.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
- Price: $1,399–2,799
- Sizes: twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, California (CA) king, split king
The Big Fig Mattress is a hybrid model made from coils and foam for support and comfort.
Big Fig states that this mattress is medium-firm. As the company has designed the product for people with larger frames, those in smaller bodies may find the mattress too firm.
The mattress can support 550 lb per person, which is 1,100 lb in total.
Another feature Big Fig highlights is edge support, which may make it easier to get in and out of bed. It also prevents people from hanging or rolling over the mattress edge during sleep. In addition, cooling properties may help reduce overheating at night.
The Big Fig Mattress includes:
- a 20-year warranty
- free shipping
- 120-night trial
Positive reviews show customers found the Big Fig mattress comfortable, cooling, and supportive. Some people claimed it improved their sleep and improved back pain. However, many buyers found the mattress too firm.
- Price: $150
- Sizes: twin, full, queen, king, CA king
This bed frame can support up to 2,000 lb. It has a stable footing device to prevent the bed from tipping when a person sits on the edge and if they install it on an uneven surface.
Big Fig uses recycled railroad steel for the bed frame. It also claims the frame’s legs become stronger under more weight.
The bed frame is not included in the company’s 120-night sleep trial, but it comes with a 20-year warranty and 7–10 day shipping.
Customers found the frame supportive and said it does not make noise when people move in the bed. However, some more critical comments showed that some customers received faulty frames and it made the bed too high.
- Price: $249–329
- Sizes: twin, full, queen, king, CA king
This Big Fig Foundation can support the weight of the Big Fig mattress and the 1,100 lb maximum user weight. It features 18 slats that Big Fig claims can support over 5 times the weight of a standard foundation. Each slat is 2.5 inches wide for maximum support.
It is made from solid wood, and a person does not need any tools to assemble it. There are two center supports and 32 wood block supports around the edge of the foundation.
According to the Big Fig site, the product is included with every mattress purchase, although it is unclear if a person can purchase them separately.
A person cannot return the Big Fig Foundation, which is not included in the 120-night sleep trial.
Positive reviews state the foundation is sturdy and supportive. However, some customers found the assembly instructions confusing.
- Price: $650–1,099
- Sizes: twin XL, queen, king, CA king, split king
The adjustable base allows people to change the position of their mattress. They can raise both ends of the base using a wireless remote. There are several preset positions to choose from, and the two motors operate quietly.
The preset options include:
- Flat: This is the neutral option. The base is completely flat.
- Anti-snore: This option raises the top end of the mattress to elevate the head.
- Zero-gravity: This preset option raises both ends of the mattress.
- Lounge: This option allows people to sit upright in a relaxed position.
The base is steel and wood and can support up to 1,250 lb. Big Fig says people can easily assemble the base in 10 minutes without tools.
It comes with a 10-year warranty, which is not included in the 120-night trial.
Positive reviews for the base claim it is quiet, easy to set up, and people enjoy changing the position of their mattress easily. However, some people wanted the legs to be longer and say it does not adjust if a person is sitting or lying on the mattress.
- Price: $99–129
- Size: twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, CA king
The Big Fig mattress protector features cooling Thermogel fabric to keep users cool. It also has a waterproof layer.
Additionally, the mattress protector offers a stay-tucked feature to keep the protector in place.
Big Fig states the mattress protector is spot-clean only. It comes with a 1-year warranty and 7–10 day shipping.
Online reviews for the mattress protector state it moves around a little, and the plastic layer in the protector can shrink after a person dries it. However, many people state it effectively protects the Big Fig mattress from liquid spills.
The Big Fig pricing varies depending on the size a person orders. The table below shows the full price range of all Big Fig’s products across the different sizes.
Big Fig ships to the continental U.S. All products ship from the Big Fig factory in Cleveland, Ohio.
It also delivers to most of Canada.
Big Fig offers four shipping options for its mattresses. These include:
- 7–10 Day Quick Ship Delivery: This comes at no extra cost and involves compressing the mattress into a box. A person then needs to unbox and set the mattress up themselves.
- White Glove Delivery: For $199, white glove delivery includes Big Fig delivery staff unboxing and setting up the mattress. This delivery service takes 2–3 weeks.
- White Glove Delivery + Removal: For $249, the company will set up the new mattress and remove a person’s old mattress. The delivery period for this service is 2–3 weeks.
- Quick Ship Delivery + Removal: For $129, this service involves compressing the mattress into a box. The company will deliver the mattress within 7–10 days. People will need to unbox and assemble the mattress themselves. However, the company will collect and discard of a person’s old mattress at a time that suits them.
The Big Fig mattress comes with a 120-night sleep trial. This begins on the day a person receives their mattress. If an individual is not happy with their purchase during this trial, they can return it free of charge for a refund.
However, the sleep trial only applies to the Big Fig mattress. It does not include the bed frame, foundation, adjustable base, or mattress protector.
Big Fig offers a limited warranty period on all of its products. However, the warranty length differs between products. These warranty periods are:
- Mattress: 20 years
- Bed frame: 20 years
- Foundation: 20 years
- Adjustable base: 10 years
- Mattress protector: 1 year
People may wish to compare Big Fig to some of the company’s competitors. Alternative options people can consider include:
- STL Beds: This brand offers mattresses suitable for larger people. The mattresses use high density foam and can support weights up to 600 lb. Prices range from $1,320–8,100.
- Helix Plus: Helix sells a hybrid mattress for larger people. It includes medium-firm memory foam and coils. Prices range from $811–1,811.
- Saatva HD: This is a hybrid mattress and features zoned support for back and joint support. The prices range from $1,795–3,990.
Below is a table comparing the Big Fig mattress to the company’s main competitors.
|Mattress price range||Maximum weight||Warranty||Sleep trial|
|Big Fig||$1,399–2,799||550–1,100 lb||20-year||120-night|
|STL Beds||$1,320–8,100||600 lb||20-year||none|
|Titan Plus from Brooklyn Bedding||$699–1,499||1,000 lb||10-year||120-night|
|WinkBed Plus||$1,349–2,199||900 lb||lifetime||120-night|
|Helix Plus||$811–1,811||500–1,000 lb||15-year||100-night|
|Saatva HD||$1,795–3,990||500–1,000 lb||lifetime||365-night|
A person may wish to consider the following factors when looking to purchase a mattress for larger people:
- Maximum weight capacity: People should check that the mattress supports the necessary weight.
- Price range: People should consider their budget and aim for a cost-effective mattress.
- Size: People should check that the company provides the size they require, especially if a person is tall. Most companies offer the same mattress in twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, and CA king sizes.
- Materials: People should check the materials in their chosen mattress. People with a latex allergy should avoid latex mattresses, and those with allergies may wish to look for hypoallergenic options. People may want to prioritize mattresses with environmental certifications, such as CertiPUR-US and Greenguard Gold.
- Edge support: This is important for heavier individuals. A mattress with edge support will help to prevent sagging and provide more support.
- Hybrid mattress: A hybrid mattress may help to provide more support and durability as it contains coils. Coils may help to prevent sagging in the mattress.
- Warranty and sleep trial: People can prioritize brands that offer long sleep trials as they allow buyers to use the mattress for an extended period before committing to the purchase. People can return their mattress for a refund or replacement during the trial period.
Mattresses play an important role in a person’s overall health. The
A suitable mattress that offers sufficient support and comfort may improve a person’s sleep quality.
Big Fig states its mattress are supportive for heavier people. This can be important in helping improve sleep quality — when a person lays down, they put pressure on various parts of their body.
In an older
As a result, Big Fig’s medium-firm mattress may help some people with lower back pain.
Below, we answer some frequently asked questions about the Big Fig mattress.
How long does Big Fig Mattress last?
Big Fig makes its mattress durable and features heavy duty foam that is resistant to sagging. This may make them last longer than other options. The company also offers a 20-year warranty.
Who owns Big Fig Mattress?
Alison Goodman and her father, Bruce Goodman, founded Big Fig when they realized there were limited mattress options for heavier individuals. The family has been producing mattresses for over 90 years.
How heavy is a Big Fig Mattress?
The Big Fig mattress weighs between 73–130 lb depending on the size.
How much weight can Big Fig hold?
The Big Fig mattress can support up to 1,100 lb for two sleeper mattresses (full, queen, king, and California king). A twin and twin XL Big Fig mattress can support 550 lb.
Big Fig makes mattresses for heavier people. A quality mattress that supports a person’s weight may improve sleep quality. They may also reduce stiffness and pain.
Big Fig also sells a base, foundation, frame, and mattress protector for its mattress.