We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Bowflex offers a range of fitness tools that people can use to work out at home. Its Revolution home gym, which allows individuals to engage in strength exercises, is suitable for all fitness levels.
This article explores the Bowflex brand and its Revolution home gym. It also suggests some alternative workout equipment for people to consider and discusses some of the health considerations relating to strength training.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information is purely research-based.
Bowflex is based in the United States and produces fitness equipment that allows individuals to exercise at home.
People can purchase:
Some tools are also compatible with JRNY, Bowflex’s fitness platform.
Bowflex has a rating of 2.4 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot, with a total of 19 reviews. Customers who received damaged or defective products state that the company’s representatives could not issue a replacement. They also report shipping delays.
However, two reviews award the company 5 stars. These reviewers mention that the products might be helpful if a person cannot exercise at a gym. For example, one user writes about using Bowflex to do light workouts because an injury prevented them from engaging in high intensity activities.
Nautilus, Bowflex’s parent company, has a rating of 1.03 out of 5 stars on Better Business Bureau. People have filed more than 100 complaints in the last year, with some mentioning that they had difficulty securing refunds from Bowflex.
People can use the Bowflex Revolution home gym to perform more than 100 exercises with up to 400 variations. The equipment weighs 336 pounds (lb) and has a user weight capacity of 300 lb.
It comes with a range of features, such as:
- moving Freedom Arms with 10 positions and 170-degree adjustments
- a leg press station
- a vertical bench press for different exercises and variations
- SpiraFlex plates that offer linear resistance to recreate the feel of a weight stack in a gym
The Bowflex Revolution home gym uses Power Rod technology rather than gravity to provide resistance, which increases gradually as a user exercises. This technology avoids placing too much pressure on a person’s joints at the beginning of the session.
The company suggests that its customers exercise for 20 minutes a day, three times a week. If customers are not satisfied with the results after 6 weeks, they can return the product for a full refund. The company takes the cost of shipping and handling out of the refund.
The dimensions of the home gym are:
- length: 9 feet (ft) 4 inches (in)
- width: 3 ft 2 in
- height: 6 ft 1 in
The equipment’s folded footprint is 4 ft 7 in (length) by 3 ft 2 in (width).
According to the Bowflex website, people who purchase the Revolution home gym should have a workout space of 10 ft (length) by 7 ft (width). The product is suitable for individuals who are between 4 ft 6 in and 6 ft 6 in tall.
The home gym has a 90-day labor warranty and a 10-year parts warranty.
It costs $2,899 and is also available at $162 per month with financing. Customers can request in-home assembly and purchase a machine mat for an additional charge.
People interested in the Bowflex Revolution home gym may wish to weigh the benefits and downsides:
- it offers a wide range of exercises
- people can return the product after 6 weeks if they are unsatisfied
- it has an extended warranty
- it is quiet, so people can use it without disturbing others
- according to reviews, it is easy to assemble
- it may not be affordable for everyone
- it takes up a relatively large space in the home
- according to reviews, changing the resistance can be difficult
- some customers state that it can be challenging to perform some movements
The Bowflex Revolution home gym is a strength-training resistance machine that can benefit individuals who want to increase the intensity of their workout without using free weights.
- increasing joint flexibility and reducing the symptoms of arthritis
- building muscle, leading to increased calorie burning
- improving balance, which can reduce the risk of falls and injuries, especially in older adults
- increasing bone density, thereby reducing the risk of fractures
Those who are new to strength-training exercises should start slowly and gradually increase the resistance or weight.
Home gyms may be beneficial for people who do not have the time to visit the gym or cannot afford monthly gym fees.
However, as strenuous strength training can cause tiny tears in the muscle tissue, people should wait at least 48 hours before exercising the same muscle group. Waiting will allow the muscles to heal before the next workout.
The Hospital for Special Surgery provides some additional tips for people who work out at home. These include:
- Seeking advice: People who are new to working out on their own should consider consulting an exercise physiologist. An exercise physiologist can recommend a home exercise program and help people progress as they get used to exercising.
- Staying hydrated: Injuries can occur when a person becomes dehydrated or exhausted. Dehydration can cause muscle spasms, dizziness, cramps, and lightheadedness.
- Paying attention to pain: People who experience pain while strength training should stop exercising straight away. If the pain worsens or does not resolve with rest, they should see a doctor.
Other home gym machines and fitness tools that people may consider purchasing include:
Tonal is a smart home gym that looks like a vertical TV screen. It comes with digital weights, Bluetooth technology, and a workout library.
Mirror is an interactive home fitness machine that suits individuals of any fitness level. The monthly membership gives people access to various exercises, including kickboxing, yoga, and pilates.
Tempo studio home gym offers live and on-demand classes and has a space-saving design. The app gives people access to strength exercises, as well as yoga, cardio, boxing, and mobility sessions.
Resistance bands come in different thicknesses, and they can improve muscle power to reduce the chance of falls and injuries. People can also use resistance bands if they are recovering from an injury or have joint pain.
Dumbbells are small and come in different sizes, shapes, and weights. The American Council on Exercise states that using dumbbells can lead to muscle growth and improve muscle and joint stability.
These come in different sizes and allow a person to do various core exercises. People have to use their core muscles to prevent the ball from moving and avoid sliding off it. A person may use a stability ball with resistance bands and dumbbells to increase the workout intensity.
Bowflex is a U.S. company that manufactures home gym equipment. This equipment may be useful for people who are unable or unwilling to exercise at a gym.
The Bowflex Revolution home gym has different features that allow users to perform more than 100 different exercises. It comes with a warranty, and people can return the product if they are not satisfied with their fitness results after 6 weeks.