We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Dumbbells are resistance and strength training equipment that people can use at home. Adjustable dumbbells, such as the Bowflex SelectTech 1090, are convenient for individuals with limited space.
This article discusses the Bowflex brand and its reputation, its SelectTech 1090 dumbbell set, and the advantages and disadvantages of exercising with dumbbells.
Bowflex has a listing with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) under its parent company, Nautilus Inc., which does not have accreditation with the organization. However, it has achieved an A- grade.
Reviewers on the BBB website give Nautilus Inc. a rating of 1.03 stars out of 5, while reviewers on Trustpilot rate Bowflex 2.5 out of 5 stars.
Negative reviews for both review platforms mentioned delivery delays, issues with customer service and communication, and defective machines. Several customers also said that they had difficulty canceling orders and receiving replacement parts.
However, positive reviews stated the equipment they received was sturdy and lasted several years. Two reviewers said they use Bowflex’s equipment every day and have not experienced any problems.
The Bowflex SelectTech 1090 is a set of adjustable dumbbells featuring an angular shape and durable plastic molding surrounding the metal plates.
These dumbbells allow a person to perform more than 30 exercises, replacing the need for 17 pairs of free weights. An individual can adjust the weight from 10 pounds (lb) to 90 lb in 5 lb increments, using an easy-to-use dial.
The product also features a dedicated companion app, the Bowflex SelectTech training app, where a person can view workouts and coaching videos. People can also use the app to track their reps, sets, and weights during workouts. This app is available for iOS and Android devices.
Bowflex offers a 3-year warranty on the dumbbell parts. Additionally, people can purchase an optional 5-year warranty extension.
At the time of publishing, the SelectTech 1090 dumbbells cost $799 per pair.
Payments and shipping
Bowflex accepts payments using PayPal, major credit cards, and Bowflex and Nautilus credit cards.
The company offers free shipping within the contiguous United States but does not deliver to APO/FPO addresses, U.S. territories, P.O. boxes, or international customers.
Bowflex offers refunds within 6 weeks of delivery. People need a return merchandise authorization number from the company’s customer service team to request a refund. The company will deduct handling and shipping fees from the refund amount.
There are several companies selling adjustable dumbbells and kettlebells, including:
- PowerBlock: Offers three sets of adjustable dumbbells with a maximum weight of 90 lb. Two of its models feature barbell and kettlebell attachments. Powerblock also offers a 5-year warranty on all its dumbbells.
- Apex Adjustable Kettlebell: This product’s base weight starts with 20 lb of weight, and a person can expand this to a maximum weight of 50 lb. It features a powder-coated cast iron design for increased durability.
- Kettlebell Kings: Sells two adjustable kettlebells with a maximum weight of 40 lb. The company states these products are ideal for exercises that involve squats, deadlifts, presses, and swings.
Dumbbells can increase a person’s fitness and reduce the likelihood of certain health conditions. Additionally, certain people may find additional benefits to strength exercises.
A 2018 study found that a strength training program that included the use of elastics and dumbbells reduced falls in older adults and improved their overall strength and symptoms of depression.
Similarly, a study investigating low-cost exercises, including dumbbell exercises, showed significant benefits on blood pressure, lipid profile, glycemic control, and the risk for coronary artery disease in people with type 2 diabetes.
- Dumbbells and other free weights are versatile, allowing a person to experiment on different exercises and target muscle groups in isolation or simultaneously.
- Individuals can use dumbbells with one or two hands, allowing them to perform several exercises.
- Since they do not have a fixed design, unlike strength machines, dumbbells enable a person to move freely and perform partial or complete ranges of motion, targeting major muscle groups.
- Beginners may initially need spotters to help ensure appropriate form and technique.
- Improper use of weights can lead to injuries.
- Most dumbbells available online do not weigh more than 90 lb.
Bowflex SelectTech 1090 is an adjustable dumbbell set that provides people with a wider weight range for various exercise options. Individuals who buy this product also have access to Bowflex’s dedicated app, which offers workout and coaching videos.
Strength training exercises can improve overall body strength and reduce the risk of certain health conditions. People should exercise regularly to receive these health benefits.
Please note: Medical News Today does not imply warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or endorse any of these applications. Nobody at MNT has evaluated these apps for medical accuracy. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved them unless otherwise indicated.