We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
ContactsDirect are an online contact lens company. They provide a range of options for home delivery.
Below, we describe the brand, what they offer, and how to make an order. We also explore alternative companies and health considerations for people with contacts.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
ContactsDirect are a division of Luxottica, which also own Ray-Ban, Oakley, DKNY, and Prada. Luxottica have substantial holdings in eyewear retail, including Pearle Vision, Target Optical, and Sunglass Hut.
Positive online reviews of ContactsDirect often mention:
- the wide selection of contact lenses
- that the company accept Flexible Spending Accounts, or FSAs, which can be part of employee healthcare benefits
- that standard shipping is free
Complaints frequently involve:
- dissatisfaction with customer service
- poor-quality merchandise
- a limited selection of contact lens solutions
- that the company do not deliver internationally
ContactsDirect sell a wide variety of contact lenses and some lens solutions. A person can have new disposable contacts delivered daily, weekly, or monthly.
Some of the specialist lenses that they offer include:
- Single vision: These are for people with different vision in each eye.
- Multifocal: These are for people who need both close and distant vision correction.
- Toric: These are for people with astigmatism.
- Colored: Whether a person wants these with or without vision correction, ContactsDirect require a prescription.
ContactsDirect have lenses from various brands, including:
- Air Optix
The company offer an online vision assessment, which includes checks for irritation and eye tests to make sure a person’s prescription is up to date.
To purchase lenses from ContactsDirect, a person needs to enter in their prescription and some contact information for their doctor.
Once a person has selected a product, they need to provide a valid prescription. This generally means one that is less than 1 year old.
The company also need contact details for the person’s eye doctor so that they can verify the prescription.
To avoid this step, a person can upload a digital version of their prescription.
Insurance and discounts
People with vision insurance will only pay out-of-pocket expenses if they have one of the following plans:
- Superior Vision
- Blue View Vision
ContactsDirect also file out-of-network claims for people with vision insurance plans from:
ContactsDirect offer discounts for students, teachers, first responders, government employees, and members of the military. They also offer an annual supply discount.
On their website, the company say that they will match their competitors’ prices.
Returns and refunds
ContactsDirect offer full refunds on unopened, undamaged, and unaltered boxes of contact lenses.
If a person completes an online return authorization request, ContactsDirect send them a prepaid shipping label within 48 hours.
People who receive damaged or defective products should call the company’s customer service line. They should not throw out the damaged goods.
Many companies sell contact lenses online. The following are just a few that deliver in the United States:
- 1-800-Contacts: Their range of products and services is similar to that of ContactsDirect, but they ship internationally and accept insurance from in- and out-of-network insurers. Learn more about 1-800-Contacts here.
- GlassesUSA: They sell contact lenses, glasses, and sunglasses and accept plans from major insurers. They also offer a 100% money-back guarantee. Learn more about GlassesUSA here.
- Lens.com: They accept insurance from many providers and have 24/7 customer service. If a person cannot email or fax their lens prescription, the company offer to contact the person’s doctor.
- a missing lens in the eye due to an accident or congenital difference
- bulging corneas
- irregular corneas
- lazy eye, a condition that causes the eyes to focus unevenly
- dry eye
Proper hygiene is essential when using contacts. Take them out before going to sleep, and clean and store contacts properly right away. This can help prevent serious eye infections and related blindness, which affects 1 in 500 contact lens users annually.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Federal Trade Commission regulate the sale of contact lenses. For people looking to purchase lenses online,
- making sure that the prescription is up-to-date
- asking for a written version of patient information from the eye doctor
- carefully checking the contacts received to make sure that they match the order
ContactsDirect is an established online vendor of contact lenses. They offer a wide range of options from major brands as well as an online vision test to make sure a prescription is up to date. ContactsDirect accept insurance from major providers.
Speak with an optician for advice about purchasing contact lenses online.