We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Curology is a skin care company that provides personalized remote skin care treatment and sells customized skin care products online.
A Curology provider works with each customer to create a skin care plan. All customers are required to sign up for a monthly prescription to purchase products.
This article discusses Curology in more detail, including what the company offers and the pros and cons. It also lists some alternative treatment options and skin care brands to consider.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information is purely research-based.
- Personalized Curology formula: This formula is a lightly moisturizing base layer that in-house dermatologists design to meet each individual’s specific needs. The company recommends applying it in the evening.
- Cleanser: Free from oil and fragrance, the cleanser uses hydrating plant sugars and soothing oat extract.
- Moisturizer: Hyaluronic acid is a base ingredient of this product, which is free from fragrances, oils, parabens, and gluten.
- Rich moisturizer: Along with hyaluronic acid, this product contains shea butter, aloe, and three additional moisturizing ingredients.
Other products include:
- Curology spot patch: Available only as an add-on to other Curology products, the company claims that these semitransparent emergency stickers draw out pus and oil and promote healing.
- Acne body wash: This product contains 2% salicylic acid to treat and prevent breakouts. Curology claims that it is safe for use in all skin types.
- Dark spot formula: The company says that this formula is for use in the morning, when a person should use it alongside sunscreen, and the evening. People can use this product to reduce areas of hyperpigmentation, but they should follow a dermatologist’s instructions carefully because it is important to take breaks from treatment.
Curology makes all of its products in the United States. The company does not test on animals, so all products are vegan.
People can use these products alongside other skin care products. However, they should check on the website or with a dermatologist to ensure that doing so will not cause interactions or irritation.
Curology products use prescription-only acne treatments as active ingredients.
Customers start by filling out a questionnaire to describe their skin concerns, general physical health, and current skin care practices. They can also upload photos of their skin.
A provider from Curology then reviews the individual’s skin health and goals before contacting them. Based on the customer’s details, the provider recommends personalized skin care products.
Curology states that the personal provider stays in touch to check on an individual’s progress and answer questions. A person’s plan and products may change based on their updates.
People are required to take out a monthly subscription to buy Curology products. The company offers a 30-day trial, which is free, although customers must pay shipping. A person will have to opt out of their subscription if they choose not to continue.
The typical Curology customer review is very positive. Some benefits that customers mention are:
- simple ordering from home
- online access to Curology providers
- straightforward skin care routine
- easier access to prescription-only acne treatments
Some comments mention that although Curology products cost more than typical skin care products, the cost is lower than seeking in-person treatment from a dermatologist.
Some negative reviews and customer complaints about Curology note that:
- it is necessary to get a subscription
- the initial examination of the skin takes place only through photos and an online assessment
- if a person does not have acne, the company may misdiagnose the cause of their skin symptoms
- the active ingredients are available at a lower cost elsewhere
- people cannot use health insurance to pay for Curology products
Some people may experience dryness, discoloration, and mild itching when they first start using Curology. In some cases, their breakouts may initially become more frequent or severe. The company offers tips to help people adjust to the new skin care routine.
Curology notes that hydroquinone, an active ingredient in its dark spot formula, can cause halo spots around areas of use or lead to darkening or staining of the skin.
Although rare, more serious side effects, such as Cushing’s syndrome, hyperglycemia, and eye problems, are also possible. People should report all unusual reactions to their provider and stop using the products immediately.
Anyone with concerns should speak with a doctor or dermatologist before starting a new skin care regimen.
Before signing up to Curology, it is advisable to review advice from experts and consider other options.
The American Academy of Dermatology Association maintains that almost every person with acne can get successful treatment. It says that including the following self-care practices can help clear up breakouts:
- using gentle, alcohol-free products on the skin
- washing the face twice a day, using the hands and a gentle cleanser
- refraining from popping pimples or scrubbing the skin and avoiding touching the face during the day
- rinsing with lukewarm water rather than hot water
- avoiding tanning beds and protecting the skin from the sun
The following practices can help prevent premature skin aging:
- limiting exposure to the sun
- using sunscreen and moisturizer every day
- stopping smoking, if a smoker, or limiting exposure to secondhand smoke
- moderating alcohol consumption
- eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly
- avoiding the use of products that irritate the skin or make it burn or sting
People wishing to compare other online skincare companies with Curology can look at:
Describing itself as “the future of skin care,” this company asks prospective purchasers to complete an online assessment to determine the appropriate formula for their skin care. It allows people to save money by purchasing a bundle of products but only sells anti-aging products.
This company also offers personalized skin care online, which it provides through at-home assessments, virtual calls with experts, and the ability to tweak products over time. The core products include cleansers, serums, and moisturizers, which the company can formulate to address a range of skin issues.
Curology is an online skin care platform that offers customers online assessment and virtual consultation with its providers. The providers then develop a personalized formula to suit each individual’s needs and offer them ongoing support. The products are only available through a monthly subscription.
Anyone who has concerns about their skin health or is considering a course of treatment should speak with a doctor or dermatologist.