We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
People who work a sedentary job may experience back pain and develop improper posture. Cushion seaters for office chairs can provide lumbar support and promote proper spinal alignment.
- For a hypoallergenic cushion: Purple Double Seat Cushion
- For extra airflow: Coop Home Goods Ventilated Orthopedic Lumbar Cushion
- For tailbone support: Kieba Coccyx Seat Cushion
- For an eco-friendly cushion: Cushion Lab Pressure Relief Seat Cushion
- For a seat and back cushion: SOFTaCARE Seat Cushion Set
- For hemorrhoid relief: Ergonomic Innovations Donut Cushion
Please note, the writer has not tested these products. All information is research-based.
The cushions are available in different shapes and sizes and contain different materials. People may wish to purchase a cushion seater when using a chair that offers limited support.
When a person sits down for long periods of time, they are more likely to have back pain.
More recent research has also shown that there is a link between sitting down and lower and upper back pain. The researchers found that sitting for more than 2 hours per day led to lower and upper back pain and that those who reported back pain were less likely to exercise regularly.
Additionally, people who sat for more than 2 hours per workday were more likely to report symptoms of depression.
Several studies report that pillows can provide lumbar support and promote proper spinal alignment. For instance, authors of a
How we choose products
Medical News Today chooses products that meet the following criteria:
- Price: Products are available in a wide range of budgets.
- Materials: Products use a variety of materials, including hypoallergenic covers, memory foam filling, and cooling gels.
- Lumbar support: Products offer a good level of lumbar support and are suitable for office chairs.
- Shape: Products come in an array of shapes that are suitable for most people.
A person may consider the following factors when purchasing a cushion seater for an office chair:
- Level of support: Some support cushions may just support the back, whereas other cushions support other areas of the body as well, such as the hips or tailbone. Moreover, people may wish to look for cushion seaters that contain durable materials, as nondurable materials may wear away over time, reducing the level of support they offer.
- Materials: Some cushion seaters have memory foam filling and cooling gels, which may provide additional support and prevent people from overheating while sitting in their chairs.
- Size: It is important to purchase a cushion seater that is the correct size for a person’s chair. People should measure the depth and width of their chairs and use the measurements to inform their choice.
Below are some cushion seaters that may ease back pain and promote proper posture.
This cushion has two layers of Purple Grid support. The company states the cushion is suitable for office chairs and provides support for over 8 hours per day.
The grid design cushions the tailbone, or coccyx, and the company states it has engineered it to bounce back after use. The grid design enables airflow, which may help people remain cool.
The cushion comes with an anti-slip, machine-washable, removable cover with a handle for easy portability. People can clean the grid design with soap and water.
The dimensions of this product are 18 x 16 x 2 inches (in).
Purple offers free shipping, a 30-day return policy, and a 1-year warranty.
At the time of publishing, the Purple Double Seat Cushion costs $99.
This cushion contains memory foam and bamboo charcoal that may offer extra support and a cooler feel.
Coop Home Goods recommends this cushion for:
- office workers
- people with arthritis
- those who tend to assume improper posture
- those who require pressure relief
The company states that this cushion helps promote proper posture while relieving pressure in the lower back.
The cushion has an oversized strap and buckle that people can use to attach it to most chairs and seats. It also comes with a stain-resistant and removable cover.
The dimensions of this product are 16 x 4.25 x 16 in.
Coop Home Goods offers free shipping and a 100-day return policy.
At the time of publishing, the Coop Home Goods Ventilated Orthopedic Lumbar Cushion costs $29.99.
This cushion contains memory foam and cooling gel, providing cushioned, cooling support.
The company recommends this cushion for those who experience:
Kieba states that the cushion is suitable for most types of chairs and seating, including wheelchairs, office chairs, and airplane seating.
The Coccyx Seat Cushion comes with a removable velour cover that has a non-slip bottom.
The dimensions of this product are 14 x 18 x 3 in.
The Kieba Coccyx Seat Cushion is eligible for returns, refunds, and replacements.
At the time of publishing, this product has a list price of around $30.
The Pressure Relief Seat Cushion contains odor-resistant, extra-dense charcoal memory foam. Cushion Lab states that its in-house ergonomists shaped this model to relieve pressure from sitting down.
According to the company website, this cushion distributes body weight evenly, encourages proper posture, and provides pressure relief to the tailbone and lower back.
The cushion contains an earth-friendly recycled-polyester outer shell and inner cover and a CertiPUR-US-certified memory foam. The cover is machine-washable.
The dimensions of this product are 18 x 15.5 x 4 in.
Cushion Lab offers free shipping to the contiguous United States.
At the time of publishing, the Pressure Relief Seat Cushion is available in multiple colors and costs $79.
This set of seat and lumbar cushions contains memory foam. The company states that this product is suitable for people with sciatica, herniated disks, coccyx injuries, and lower back pain.
The SOFTaCARE Seat Cushion Set features 3D breathable mesh material that promotes airflow and may prevent overheating. The company states that the set is suitable for most chairs.
This product has a removable, machine-washable velour cover. The seat cushion has a non-slip bottom, and both cushions have adjustable straps.
The dimensions of the seat cushion are 18 x 16 x 3.5 in. The dimensions of the lumbar cushion are 11.75 x 13 x 3.5 in.
At the time of publishing, the SOFTaCARE Seat Cushion Set has a list price of around $40.
Ergonomic Innovations states that the shape of this product allows for even weight distribution and suspends the coccyx to relieve pain. People can also use this cushion as a back support pillow.
The product contains a supportive foam core. The cover is hypoallergenic and machine-washable. According to the company, this cushion has a firm feel and can support weight of up to 240 pounds.
The dimensions of this product are 17.5 x 13.8 x 2.75 in.
At the time of publishing, the Ergonomic Innovations Donut Cushion has a list price of around $40.
People who use the computer for long periods of time can reduce lower back pain and support proper posture with the following:
- Support the back: People should adjust their chairs to ensure the lower back has the correct support. A person’s knees should be lower than their hips.
- Support the wrists: People should adjust the seats of their chairs so their elbows form a right angle when typing.
- Rest feet on the floor: Individuals should keep their feet on the floor or a footrest, forming a 90-degree angle with their knees.
- Ensure correct computer placement: A person should place their screen at eye level, have the mouse in easy reach, and have the keyboard directly in front of them.
- Use a headset: If a person uses a phone during their workday, they may consider using a hands-free headset. Cradling a phone between the head and shoulders can cause upper back and neck pain.
- Take breaks: Individuals should take regular breaks when working at a computer. People can change position and stretch to reduce the risk of back pain.
Cushion seaters may be beneficial for those who spend several hours a day sitting down. People may use cushions for chairs in the office or at home or while driving or flying.
Cushions that support the lower back and coccyx may ease lower back pain and promote proper posture.
There are various cushion seaters available to buy online that offer differing levels of support.