We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Dermarollers are devices that may stimulate hair growth. These products have microneedles that prick the skin and may help hair growth by increasing blood flow to the scalp.
A quick look at 6 of the best dermarollers for hair growth
- Best for facial hair: RoselynBoutique Derma Roller Beard Growth Kit
- Best for multiple replacement heads: 90ine Derma Roller Kit
- Best for a multipack: NoveLife Microneedle Derma Roller Kit
- Best for removing scalp buildup: Foligain Hair & Scalp Roller
- Best for comprehensive instructions: Linduray Skincare Derma Roller for Skin, Beard & Hair
- Best for longer needles: Alphaluxy Dermaroller
This article describes what dermarollers are, how they work, and where to purchase these products online.
Microneedling is a type of treatment that uses hundreds of small needles that cause micro-injuries to the skin and scalp.
However, the AAD warns that microneedling may worsen some conditions, and a person should contact a dermatologist for advice before purchasing any products.
Dermarollers work by causing
These products may also help improve how medication reaches the skin, as micro-injuries allow medications to penetrate the skin barrier more easily.
People should always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using a dermaroller. However, some general tips include:
- sterilizing the dermaroller
- cleaning the scalp and ensuring it is dry
- using the device on the scalp horizontally, vertically, and diagonally
- applying any medication that a dermatologist recommends, such as minoxidil, on the scalp.
- sterilizing the dermaroller and leaving it to dry
- placing the dermaroller into its container.
There is some evidence that dermarollers can benefit hair growth. Most studies investigate the effects of microneedling alongside another therapy, such as minoxidil, and there is not enough research evaluating the use of dermarollers on their own for hair loss.
Learn more about microneedling with PRP here.
When choosing a dermaroller, consider the following factors, such as:
- Dermatologist recommendations: A dermatologist may recommend certain dermarollers to suit an individual’s requirements, such as ones with different needle sizes. However, some dermatologists may not recommend dermarollers.
- Features: Some dermarollers have features to make them easier to use, such as an anti-slip design for stability and control.
- Instructions: It is a good idea to purchase dermarollers that come with clear instructions on how to use the device.
Below are some dermarollers a person may purchase. However, people should only purchase one if their dermatologist recommends it.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Best for facial hair: RoselynBoutique Derma Roller Beard Growth Kit
- Price: This product has a list price of around $17.
- Pro: Some customers state that this product is easy to use, and they have noticed fuller hair.
- Con: Some customers say that the product causes a sunburn-like feeling after use.
This dermaroller has 540 titanium needles that measure 0.25 millimeters (mm).
The company claims that this product can help promote new hair growth and rejuvenate dead skin cells.
People should sterilize this product in an 80% alcohol solution, clean the area they will use the dermaroller on, and roll the product up to 10 times over the skin or scalp.
Best for multiple replacement heads: 90ine Derma Roller Kit
- Price: This product has a list price of around $15.
- Pro: This product and its replacement heads come in sterile packaging.
- Con: Some reviewers state that this product may be painful.
This device comes with 600 titanium microneedles that measure 0.3 mm. It also features an ergonomic handle with a non-slip grip.
Each product comes with four replacement heads, a storage case, and an instruction manual.
The company claims that this product can help hair regrow and rejuvenate the skin.
Best for a multipack: NoveLife Microneedle Derma Roller Kit
- Price: This product has a list price of around $16.
- Pro: Some reviewers noticed new hair growth after around one month’s use.
- Con: Some reviewers state that the product gets stuck and scrapes the skin.
This product is two dermarollers with 540 0.25 mm titanium microneedles each.
The company recommends sterilizing the device in an alcohol solution for 20-30 minutes before and after using the dermaroller. The company also claims that this product can help rejuvenate skin and improve the appearance of hair.
Best for removing scalp buildup: Foligain Hair & Scalp Roller
- Price: This product has a list price of around $15.
- Pro: The company claims this product may help improve the effectiveness of hair serums.
- Con: Some reviewers state that this product breaks easily.
This device has 540 titanium microneedles that measure 0.25 mm. The company states that this product is suitable for males and females.
The company also states that this product can help remove buildup on the scalp, stimulate hair growth, and remove dead skin. People should use this device no more than once a day, three times a week.
Best for comprehensive instructions: Linduray Skincare Derma Roller for Skin, Beard & Hair
- Price: This product has a list price of around $10.
- Pro: Some reviewers state that they noticed new hair growth after using this device.
- Con: Some reviewers say that this product irritated and damaged their skin.
This device has 540 titanium microneedles that measure 0.25 mm. The company states that this product is suitable for use on the skin, beard, and hair.
Additional features of this product include an ergonomic handle, an anti-slip grip, and three e-book instructions.
Best for longer needles: Alphaluxy Dermaroller
- Price: This product has a list price of around $18.
- Pro: Some reviewers note that they saw new hair growth after using this device.
- Con: Some reviewers say they received products with different needle lengths than the company advertised.
This device has 540 titanium microneedles that measure 0.5 mm.
The company claims that this product can help regrow new hair and is suitable for those with hair thinning and hair loss.
Additionally, the company includes e-books that provide instructions and tips on how to use dermarollers.
The following table compares the dermarollers in this article.
|Needle size||Features||List price|
|RoselynBoutique Derma Roller Beard Growth Kit||0.25 mm||• may help hair growth|
• may help rejuvenate skin
|90ine Derma Roller Kit||0.3 mm||• products are sterilized|
• four replacement heads
• instruction manual
|NoveLife Microneedle Derma Roller Kit||0.25 mm||• multipack of two devices||around $16|
|Foligain Hair & Scalp Roller||0.25 mm||• may reduce scalp buildup||around $15|
|Linduray Skincare Derma Roller for Skin, Beard & Hair||0.25 mm||• ergonomic handle|
• anti-slip grip
• three e-book instructions
|Alphaluxy Dermaroller||0.5 mm||• e-book instructions||around $18|
Dermatologists may recommend microneedling in a clinical setting. However, they may also recommend microneedling using dermarollers at home.
People should only purchase a dermaroller at the recommendation of a dermatologist or another healthcare professional.
People should also avoid using dermarollers or undergoing microneedling therapy if they have any of
People may also wish to avoid dermarollers if they currently have sunburn or sensitive skin.
People concerned about hair thinning or hair loss might consider contacting a board certified dermatologist.
The AAD states that dermatologists will ask questions about hair loss or hair thinning, test the strength of the remaining hair, and look at the scalp and nails to determine the cause of the hair loss. Dermatologists may also order tests that may help diagnose why a person’s hair is thinning.
Dermatologists can work with a person to determine which treatments are necessary. They may recommend at-home treatments, prescription medications, or procedures that require healthcare professionals, such as corticosteroid injections or hair transplants.
The following are some frequently asked questions about dermarollers.
Which dermaroller size is best for hair growth?
However, most dermarollers available online have 0.25-0.5 mm needles. A person should contact a dermatologist to find the best needle length for their requirements.
How often should I use a dermaroller for hair regrowth?
Most manufacturers recommend using a dermaroller one or two times a week.
However, a person should decide how often to use a dermaroller with the help of a dermatologist.
How much do dermarollers cost?
The cost of a dermaroller can vary depending on the length of the needle and any additional features the device has, such as additional heads and instruction manuals.
However, most dermarollers cost around $10–20.
Dermarollers are devices with hundreds of tiny needles that cause micro-injuries, which may help encourage hair growth.
People should always only use dermarollers with the advice of a dermatologist. Dermatologists may recommend treating hair loss and hair thinning with a combination of therapies, including dermarollers and corticosteroid injections.