Vapes containing nicotine may help prevent weight gain and lead to weight loss. However, vaping is not an effective long-term weight loss method and may have health risks.
Nicotine may reduce appetite and food intake and increase metabolism. Therefore, vapes that contain nicotine may help minimize weight gain in the short term. In some cases, vaping may also distract from habitual eating patterns.
However, it is important to note that several
This article examines how vaping may affect a person’s weight and discusses healthier alternatives for weight loss.
Vaping behavior and vapes containing nicotine may reduce weight gain.
According to a
According to the study, there is clear scientific evidence that using nicotine can reduce weight gain in the short term, but there is no evidence that short-term nicotine use prevents weight gain in the long term.
Nicotine is an appetite suppressant, which means people may feel less hungry when using vapes containing nicotine. This may help them lose weight.
Research from 2021 has shown that nicotine reduces appetite and food intake and reduces body weight.
Researchers are still unclear about the reasons for the effects of nicotine on weight. It may link to altered appetite regulation and increased energy burning during rest and physical activity.
Vaping behavior may also affect weight. The hand-to-mouth action of vaping
According to a 2022 review, nicotine increases a person’s resting metabolic rate, the number of calories the body burns at rest. It also increases the breakdown of fats in the body.
Nicotine through smoking increases energy expenditure by roughly
Cannabidiol (CBD) may cause a reduced appetite, and weight loss may occur with prolonged use of CBD.
CBD may also have some effects that negatively affect weight loss, such as insomnia and sleep disturbances. These factors
Vaping may have , such as blood vessel impairment that can lead to cardiovascular disease. The act of vaping may also be habit-forming. In addition, losing weight through appetite suppression may lead to complications, such as vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
People can try the following tips for healthy weight loss:
- Exercise: Regular physical activity helps burn calories. People will need to burn more calories than they consume through food and drink. Increasing muscle mass can also help to burn calories at rest.
- Healthy eating: Eating a balanced, nutritious diet with smaller portions can help people lose weight while providing the nutrients their body needs to function properly.
- Long-term habits: Healthy, sustainable lifestyle habits can help people lose and maintain weight in the long term rather than short-term solutions.
- Aim for gradual weight loss: Losing 1–2 pounds each week is a safe and sustainable way of losing weight and may make regaining weight less likely.
- Set short-term goals: Break down a weight loss goal into achievable steps per week or month, and celebrate milestones such as feeling fitter.
- Focus on other benefits: Increasing physical activity and healthy eating may have benefits other than weight loss, such as improved mood, increased energy, and new skill development.
- Track progress: People may find it helpful to use an app or device to track their progress.
- Getting enough sleep: Getting enough good quality sleep
may helpreduce weight gain and support healthier eating habits.
Below are the answers to some common questions about vaping and weight loss.
Do vapes contain calories?
Vapes contain a minimal amount of calories. E-liquid in vapes
Out of these, propylene glycol and glycerin may provide calories in e-liquid. Glycerin contains 4.32 calories per gram. Ratios of ingredients may alter between products, and vapes may also contain additional chemicals.
Does vaping make fasting easier?
Vapes containing nicotine may suppress the appetite, leading to reduced food intake and easier fasting.
Research from 2020 also suggests people may sometimes use sweet-flavored e-liquids in vapes to replace sweet foods.
Vaping behavior may help with fasting if the hand-to-mouth action helps reduce the amount people eat. There is not enough evidence to know whether this can help with fasting or weight loss.
Vapes containing nicotine may help with weight loss in the short term. Nicotine works as an appetite suppressant and increases metabolic rate.
In some cases, people may also find the act of vaping, or having flavored vapes, reduces habitual eating patterns.
However, vaping has health risks, and as nicotine is an addictive substance, nicotine vapes may become habit-forming. Excessively reducing food intake may lead to malnutrition.
People can instead focus on eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, and getting good quality sleep for healthy weight loss. Tracking progress and setting achievable goals may also help.