Jardiance is a brand-name prescription medication. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved it to:
- manage high glucose levels associated with type 2 diabetes in adults along with changes in diet and exercise
- decrease the risk of cardiovascular death or hospitalization from heart failure in adults
- decrease the risk of cardiovascular death in adults with both type 2 diabetes and heart disease
For more information about Jardiance’s uses, including limitations of use, refer to this article.
Here are some details about Jardiance:
- Active ingredient: empagliflozin
- Drug form: oral tablet
- Generic version: unavailable
Read on to learn about Jardiance and price, including resources to help with Jardiance costs.
As with all medications, the cost of Jardiance can vary. Factors that may affect the price you’ll pay include:
- your treatment plan
- your insurance coverage
- the pharmacy you use
- whether Jardiance has a savings program (see the “Financial and insurance assistance” section below)
To find out what the cost of Jardiance will be for you, talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or insurance provider.
Note: If you have insurance, your insurance company may require prior authorization before it covers Jardiance. This means the company and your doctor will discuss Jardiance in regard to your treatment. The insurance company will then determine whether the medication is covered. If a drug requires prior authorization and you start treatment without the prior approval, you could pay the full cost of the medication.
You can ask your insurance company whether Jardiance requires prior authorization.
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about drug cost and Jardiance.
Does Jardiance’s price vary based on which tablet I take (10 mg, 25 mg)?
It’s possible that the price you pay for Jardiance may vary based on your dose. In many cases, medications that have a higher strength of active drug in them may cost more. For example, the 25-milligram (mg) Jardiance tablet may be more expensive than the 10-mg tablet.
However, if you have insurance that covers Jardiance, it’s also possible that your copays may be the same. This could be the case even if you take a higher strength of Jardiance.
To find out how much Jardiance may cost you, talk with your doctor or pharmacist. They can determine your cost based on certain factors, such as your insurance coverage and your dose. You can also call your insurance company.
How much does Jardiance cost with Medicare?
If you have Medicare, the amount you may pay for Jardiance can vary. This is based on your individual Medicare plan and your prescription drug coverage. Your pharmacist will be able to help determine the cost of Jardiance for you.
The manufacturer of Jardiance offers a coupon card. However, they do not offer a coupon for people with Medicare. If you have Medicare and you’re having trouble paying for Jardiance, there’s an assistance program available that you may qualify for. To find out more, visit the manufacturer’s website or call 800-556-8317.
What’s the cost of Jardiance with insurance vs. without insurance?
The cost for Jardiance with insurance vs. without insurance may vary based on many factors. These include:
- your insurance coverage
- your dosage
- the pharmacy you use
- if you qualify for Jardiance or the Jardiance assistance program
If you would like to find out what your cost of Jardiance may be with or without insurance, talk with your pharmacist. They can help determine how much Jardiance may cost you.
Jardiance is only available as a brand-name drug. It doesn’t come in a generic version. A generic drug is an exact copy of the active drug in a brand-name medication.
Generics tend to cost less than brand-name drugs.
WHY ARE COSTS DIFFERENT FOR BRAND-NAME DRUGS VS. GENERIC DRUGS?
Brand-name drugs can be expensive because of the research needed to test their safety and effectiveness. The manufacturer of a brand-name drug can sell it for up to 20 years. When the brand-name drug’s patent expires, multiple manufacturers can create generic versions. This marketplace competition may lead to lower costs for generics. Also, because generics contain the same active ingredients as brand-name drugs, they don’t require the same costly testing.
If you take Jardiance long term, you may be able to lower its cost in the following ways.
Getting a 3-month supply
You may be able to get a 90-day supply of Jardiance. If approved by your insurance company, getting a 90-day supply of the drug could reduce your number of trips to the pharmacy and help lower the cost. If you’re interested in this option, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or insurance provider.
Using a mail-order pharmacy
Jardiance may be available through a mail-order pharmacy. Using this type of service may help lower the drug’s cost and allow you to receive your medication without leaving home. Some Medicare plans may help cover the cost of mail-order medications. You may also be able to get a 90-day supply of the drug via mail order.
If you don’t have health insurance, talk with your doctor or pharmacist. They may be able to suggest online pharmacy options that could work for you.
If you need financial support to pay for Jardiance, or if you need help understanding your insurance coverage, help is available. For example:
- A manufacturer coupon called the Jardiance savings card is available. For more information and to find out if you’re eligible for support, visit the program website or call 866-279-8990.
- If you have Medicare and you’re having trouble paying for Jardiance, you may qualify for an assistance program. For details, visit this website or call 800-556-8317.
- Some websites provide details about drug assistance programs, ways to make the most of your insurance coverage, and links to savings cards and other services. Two such websites are:
To learn more about saving money on prescriptions with or without insurance, check out this article.
Now that you’ve learned about cost and Jardiance, you may still have some questions. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist, who can provide personalized guidance about cost issues related to Jardiance. However, if you have health insurance, you’ll need to talk with your insurance provider to learn the actual cost you would pay for Jardiance.
Here are some other resources you may find helpful:
- Medicare drug coverage. To learn about Medicare coverage for drugs, see these articles about Medicare Prescription Drug Plans, drug coupons and Medicare, and the Medicare drug list.
- Save money. Explore this article for tips about how to save money on prescriptions.
- More details. For details about other aspects of Jardiance, refer to this article.
- Information about your condition. For information on type 2 diabetes, see our diabetes hub and our list of diabetes articles. For details about heart disease, see our cardiovascular hub and our list of heart disease articles.
Disclaimer: Medical News Today has made every effort to make certain that all information is factually correct, comprehensive, and up to date. However, this article should not be used as a substitute for the knowledge and expertise of a licensed healthcare professional. You should always consult your doctor or another healthcare professional before taking any medication. The drug information contained herein is subject to change and is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. The absence of warnings or other information for a given drug does not indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for all patients or all specific uses.