Verzenio (abemaciclib) is a brand-name oral tablet that’s prescribed for certain types of breast cancer. The cost of the drug with and without insurance can depend on several factors, such as whether Verzenio has a savings program.
Verzenio belongs to a drug class called kinase inhibitors. Verzenio is not available in a generic version.
Read on to learn about Verzenio and cost, as well as how to save money on prescriptions. If you’d like other information about Verzenio, refer to this article.
As with all medications, the cost of Verzenio can vary. Factors that may affect the price you’ll pay include:
- your treatment plan
- your insurance coverage
- the pharmacy you use
- whether Verzenio has a savings program (see the “Financial and insurance assistance” section below)
To find out what the cost of Verzenio will be for you, talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or insurance provider.
Note: If you have insurance, your insurance company may require prior authorization before it covers Verzenio. This means the company and your doctor will discuss Verzenio in regard to your treatment. The insurance company will then determine whether the medication is covered. If a drug requires prior authorization but you start treatment without the prior approval, you could pay the full cost of the medication. You can ask your insurance company whether Verzenio requires prior authorization.
Save on Verzenio with Optum Perks
Use your insurance to pay as little as $- through Verzenio’s manufacturer savings card.
Only $-/mo initially*for a limited time
Easy to use digital savings cardDelivered digitally today
Redeem at your local pharmacyAccepted at all pharmacies
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about drug cost and Verzenio.
Does the cost of Verzenio depend on which strength I take, such as the 150-mg tablet?
The current cost of Verzenio doesn’t appear to depend on which strength you take, according to the drug’s manufacturer.
Other factors may affect the price you pay for Verzenio, including the pharmacy you use and your insurance coverage. Talk with your doctor or insurance provider to learn more about the price you may pay for Verzenio.
What’s the cost of Verzenio per month?
The monthly list price of Verzenio is given on the manufacturer’s website. However, most people pay less than this with insurance coverage. You can refer to the manufacturer’s website for some examples of the monthly costs of Verzenio.
Overall, the cost of Verzenio depends on additional factors, including the pharmacy you use. Your doctor or insurance provider can tell you more about the price you’ll likely pay for Verzenio.
How much does Verzenio cost with Medicare?
The cost of Verzenio can vary depending on your Medicare plan. The drug manufacturer’s website provides some estimates of Verzenio’s cost with Medicare coverage.
You can talk with your Medicare provider or doctor to learn more about the cost you may pay for Verzenio with Medicare. Other factors like which pharmacy you use can also affect the price of Verzenio treatment.
Verzenio is only available as a brand-name drug. It doesn’t come in a generic version. A generic drug is an exact copy of the active drug in a brand-name medication.
Generics tend to cost less than brand-name drugs.
Why are costs different for brand-name vs. generic drugs?
Brand-name drugs can be expensive because of the research needed to test their safety and effectiveness. The manufacturer of a brand-name drug can sell it for up to 20 years. When the brand-name drug’s patent expires, multiple manufacturers can create generic versions. This marketplace competition may lead to lower costs for generics. Also, because generics contain the same active ingredients as brand-name drugs, they don’t require the same costly testing.
If you take Verzenio long term, you may be able to lower its cost in the following ways.
Getting a 3-month supply
You may be able to get a 90-day supply of Verzenio. If approved by your insurance company, getting a 90-day supply of the drug could reduce your number of trips to the pharmacy and help lower the cost. If you’re interested in this option, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or insurance provider.
Using a mail-order pharmacy
Verzenio may be available through a specialty mail-order pharmacy. Using this type of service may help lower the drug’s cost and allow you to receive your medication without leaving home. Verzenio’s manufacturer provides some information about working with a specialty pharmacy on its website.
Some Medicare plans may help cover the cost of mail-order medications. You may also be able to get a 90-day supply of the drug via mail order.
If you don’t have health insurance, talk with your doctor or pharmacist. They may be able to suggest online pharmacy options that could work for you.
If you need financial support to pay for Verzenio, or if you need help understanding your insurance coverage, help is available. For example:
- A savings card is available for Verzenio. This savings card (also referred to as a coupon card) can help reduce the cost of Verzenio if you have private insurance. You can learn more and apply for the card by visiting this site.
- To help you explore savings options you may qualify for, a program called the Verzenio Continuous Care Program is available. You can learn more by visiting the program website.
- To provide no-cost medication to qualifying participants, a program called the Lilly Cares Foundation is available for Verzenio. For more information and to find out if you’re eligible for support, call 800-545-6962 or visit the program website.
- Some websites provide details about drug assistance programs, ways to make the most of your insurance coverage, and links to savings cards and other services such as copay assistance. Two such websites are:
To learn more about saving money on prescriptions with or without insurance, check out this article.
Now that you’ve learned about cost and Verzenio, you may still have some questions. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist, who can provide personalized guidance about cost issues related to Verzenio. But if you have health insurance, you’ll need to talk with your insurance provider to learn the actual cost you’d pay for Verzenio.
Here are some other resources you may find helpful:
- Medicare drug coverage. To learn about Medicare coverage for drugs, see these articles about Medicare prescription drug plans, drug coupons and Medicare, and the Medicare drug list.
- More details. For details about other aspects of Verzenio, refer to this article.
- Dosage. Learn about Verzenio and dosage by viewing this article.
- Side effects. For details about Verzenio’s side effects, see this article. You can also look at the Verzenio prescribing information.
- Information about breast cancer. For more information about your condition, see our breast cancer hub.
Disclaimer: Medical News Today has made every effort to make certain that all information is factually correct, comprehensive, and up to date. However, this article should not be used as a substitute for the knowledge and expertise of a licensed healthcare professional. You should always consult your doctor or another healthcare professional before taking any medication. The drug information contained herein is subject to change and is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. The absence of warnings or other information for a given drug does not indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for all patients or all specific uses.