We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
The Echelon EX-3 Connect is a home exercise bike suitable for both beginners and experienced athletes. The bike has a tablet holder, allowing those who purchase the company’s online membership, Echelon United, to interact remotely with training programs.
Echelon Fitness Multimedia claims to have a new approach to fitness. The company says that it offers professional, studio-quality exercises that a person can fit into their own schedule at home, with products including:
- indoor bikes
- fitness mirrors
- rowing machines
Through a membership with Echelon United, individuals have access to world-class instructors who lead hundreds of live, daily classes in which people can participate using connected fitness equipment, such as the Echelon EX-3. Classes are on-demand, and a person can also access equipment-free workouts, such as Zumba.
The company also provides access to an interactive leaderboard and additional connectivity with other leading fitness apps.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried this product. All information is purely research-based.
Studio classes for indoor biking or spinning are popular ways for people to get a cardiovascular workout and pursue their fitness goals. Indoor bikes that connect to live classes, such as the Echelon EX-3 Connect, let people enjoy the benefits of a studio class at home.
- improving aerobic capacity
- lowering blood pressure
- promoting weight loss
- lowering cholesterol
- providing a cardiovascular workout without putting too much pressure on the joints
Indoor bikes also make it possible for people to enjoy the benefits of exercising at home, which include:
- the ability to work out at a convenient time
- saving time and money
- not weather-dependent
Some people may also prefer to cycle inside if they live in an area where pollution, fog, or wildfires can
Echelon’s website states that the Echelon EX-3 Connect Bike is suitable for people of all fitness levels. It has 32 levels of magnetic resistance that can challenge both beginners and experienced athletes. The adjustable seat and handlebars can help people with different body shapes and sizes feel comfortable, and the equipment has a maximum user weight of up to 300 pounds (lb).
Online reviewers say that the bike is solid and has a well-made frame, which, along with its heavy flywheel, make it a good choice for high intensity workouts. It does not come with pre-set workouts or a console, so a person will have limited exercise options without also purchasing the Echelon United membership.
The key features of the Echelon EX-3 include:
- maximum adjustment measurements of:
- Length: 48.8 inches (in)
- Width: 19.9 in
- Height: 43.7 in
- access to live and streamed classes, as well as virtual scenic rides, with Echelon United membership
- Bluetooth connectivity
- tablet holder between the handlebars, which is suitable for screens up to 12.9 in.
- tablet holder rotation for off-bike exercising
- pedals suitable for sneakers or clip-in cycling cleats
- 30-day return policy
- 1-year limited parts and labor warranty
The Echelon EX-3 is available to purchase online.
A person may wish to consider the following key characteristics before purchasing an Echelon EX-3 Connect Bike or any other indoor exercise bike:
A person should think about what they want from an indoor bike. For example, competitive cyclists seeking an indoor bike for off-season training will likely need a different bike than people taking online fitness classes or those who are just beginning their fitness journey.
Cost and warranty
Exercise bikes can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars, so it is advisable to weigh budget against needs and preferences before committing to a product. People can also look for a bike with a warranty period sufficient to protect their investment.
How it feels
Comfort levels are important if a person would like to use their equipment regularly. If an exercise bike is uncomfortable, or the resistance levels are sticky and clunky, the individual may be less likely to use it.
The more easily users can adjust the seat, handlebars, resistance levels, and pre-set programs, the better the bike will likely work for them.
Those who would like to sync their equipment with fitness apps, participate in online classes, enjoy virtual “scenic” rides, listen to music, or watch movies might prefer a bike that syncs easily with Bluetooth devices. These devices also include stand-alone heart rate monitors and headphones.
A console, screen, or device holder
Some bikes have a built-in control console to access virtual classes or entertainment programs or to adjust the equipment settings.
Many people like to know and monitor various workout metrics, such as heart rate, calories burned, speed, and cadence, and some bikes automatically track and store this information.
Using stationary bikes is a great way for people to enjoy cardiovascular exercise from the comfort of their home. However, all exercise equipment carries some risk of injury. People can help avoid injury by:
- Checking the setup: It is important to situate the bike appropriately, assemble it correctly, and adjust it to the correct height and angle.
- Start slowly: Gradually increasing the intensity, exertion, and duration of workouts allows people to improve their fitness without pushing themselves too hard.
- Balance workouts: Balancing cycling with strength training, core work, stretching, and other aerobic workouts can lead to well-rounded fitness.
The Echelon EX-3 Connect Bike is in the midrange tier of connected indoor bikes. People interested in indoor cycling have many options to choose from, including:
- Peloton Bike: Made by the leading manufacturer of connected indoor bikes, this equipment comes with a 22-in HD touch screen, rear speakers, and access to thousands of live or streaming classes in different disciplines.
- The MYX: This stationary bike comes with a 21.5-in touch screen, a polar heart rate monitor, and access to world-class coaches and classes.
- ProForm Studio Bike Pro: This bike, which is among the more affordable connected bikes on the market, comes with a rotating screen and a 3-year iFit family membership. It also offers interactive training sessions and classes, with trainers able to control the bike’s resistance remotely.
Indoor cycling offers people a convenient and effective way to exercise at home. The Echelon EX-3 Connect Bike is a professional, studio quality indoor bike that people can enjoy using on their own schedule.
The bike has 32 different resistance levels and gives access to live and streamed exercise classes in multiple disciplines.
Bluetooth connectivity and a tablet holder can help customers who also have an Echelon United membership make their workouts more interactive.
The price of the Echelon EX-3 Connect puts it in the midrange of connected indoor bikes.