We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Everlywell offers a wide range of at-home test kits for food sensitivities, thyroid function, human papillomavirus (HPV), COVID-19, and more.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried this service. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
- Convenience: Everlywell offers at-home tests for a wide variety of conditions, including food sensitivities, allergies, and sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
- Tests are discreet: At-home testing allows a person to get results on their own in an easy way, without needing to step into a laboratory or doctor’s office.
- Kits are fully stocked: Each kit has all the tools that a person needs to get their results, and shipping is prepaid for test results.
- Costly: Replacing doctor’s visits with Everlywell tests may be more convenient if a person is unable to travel. However, in terms of cost, Everlywell is not necessarily less expensive.
- Not great for those with trypanophobia, or a fear of needles: Everlywell tests are self-administered, and some require users to prick their finger to draw blood.
Everlywell is an online company that offers at-home test kits for various medical conditions, general wellness, and sexual health.
According to Everlywell, all the laboratories it uses and all the tests it provides are regulated under
The Everlywell headquarters are in Austin, TX. To date, the company has been in business for about 6 years.
Everlywell does not hold accreditation with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and it has an A+ rating with the agency.
Out of 24 customer reviews on the BBB, the company’s average rating is 1.04 out of five stars. The company has a high rating with the BBB despite this.
There are 18 customer reviews on Trustpilot. The company’s average rating there is currently 2.1 out of five stars.
Everlywell may be suitable for people who cannot easily visit a doctor’s office. Individuals living in a remote area or experiencing difficulty with mobility may prefer to use an Everlywell at-home test kit.
It may also be a more convenient option for people who work during the day, as they will not need to take time off from work to visit a doctor.
Some individuals may also prefer to complete a sexual health test at home if they feel uncomfortable undergoing testing at a doctor’s office or in a laboratory.
When a person orders an at-home test kit, Everlywell sends the test request to an independent network of doctors. A board certified doctor reviews the request and decides whether it is suitable for the customer.
If the test is suitable for the person, the doctor approves it, and the company sends a test kit to them. The person then follows the instructions in the kit to collect the necessary samples and sends them through the mail to undergo testing in a laboratory.
Once the laboratory technicians have analyzed the person’s samples, they send the results to the doctor who approved the test. The doctor then sends the results to Everlywell, who sends a notification to the customer.
If the doctor believes that the test the person has ordered is not suitable for them, they notify Everlywell, who issues a refund to the customer.
Everlywell encourages customers to share their test results with a healthcare professional. The company states that it is easy for someone to share their test results with a doctor if they want to. However, the company will not disclose test results to anyone without the person’s permission.
Everlywell offers at-home tests for a range of things, including:
- General wellness: This includes tests for COVID-19, high cholesterol, and colon cancer screening.
- Men’s health: This includes tests for testosterone and a general men’s health test that covers cortisol, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, and estradiol.
- Women’s health: This includes tests for perimenopause, postmenopause, HPV, and infertility and a general women’s health test that covers estradiol, progesterone, luteinizing hormone, and much more.
- Weight and energy: This includes tests for vitamin D, thyroid hormones, metabolism, and inflammation.
- Sexual health: This includes tests for STIs, such as trichomoniasis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, HIV, and hepatitis C.
The sections below discuss some health tests that doctors commonly order. Everlywell offers at-home testing options for these conditions.
The thyroid is a gland located at the front of the base of the neck. It is responsible for producing hormones that control a wide range of bodily functions.
Hypothyroidism occurs when the thyroid does not produce enough hormones. This condition is also known as underactive thyroid.
Symptoms may include:
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), hypothyroidism affects approximately
Hyperthyroidism occurs when the thyroid gland makes too much hormone. This condition is also known as overactive thyroid.
Symptoms may include:
According to the NIH, hyperthyroidism affects just over
Everlywell offers tests to measure the three main thyroid hormone levels.
- Price: $99
Hormones are the body’s chemical messengers. They help with processes such as growth and fertility.
The Hormone Health Network states that both low and high levels of the hormone testosterone can cause symptoms.
For example, low levels of testosterone may lead to:
- a reduced sex drive
- poor erections
- a decreased sperm count
Before puberty, high levels of testosterone in male children can cause tumors, but this is rare.
High levels of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) in females may indicate that they have reached menopause. This occurs when the production of hormones in the reproductive system decreases.
During menopause, the following may occur:
- hot flashes
- mood changes
Everlywell offers various hormone tests, including a testosterone level test, a test for estradiol and progesterone, and a test for FSH levels.
- Price: $49
According to the American College of Asthma, Allergy & Immunology (ACAAI), more than 50 million people in the U.S. have an allergy.
Individuals can have allergies to a wide variety of things, such as foods, pets, and dust. The ACAAI states that testing can identify the triggers of these allergic reactions and lead to effective treatment.
Everlywell offers an allergy test that measures for 40 common allergens.
- Price: $199
The tests range from $49–$249.
If a person signs up for Everlywell’s membership program, which is called Control, they receive a discount on all the company’s products.
A Control membership costs $24.99 a month. A member can order one qualifying test for free each month, and they get a 20% discount on any other tests.
A person can cancel their membership at any time by contacting Everlywell’s customer care team. There is no cancellation fee.
On the Everlywell website, a person can browse all the tests or filter the results to find tests in their area of concern.
A person can also sign up for Control, Everlywell’s membership program, before making a purchase.
After ordering and receiving a test, carefully follow the instructions and collect a sample. After a person sends off their sample in the pre-paid envelope, Everlywell returns the results within days.
There are a number of companies that provide at-home test kits similar to those by Everlywell.
The table below shows how Everlywell compares with other brands:
|Types of tests offered||general wellness, men’s health, women’s health, sexual health, COVID-19, and energy and weight||sexual health, women’s health, men’s health, wellness, and COVID-19||COVID-19, STIs, and HPV||COVID and flu, wellness, fertility and family planning, sexual health, and toxicology|
|BBB customer rating||1.04 stars||1.33 stars||1.21 stars||no reviews|
Learn more about Everywell’s competitors here:
The FDA does not mention Everlywell or other companies specifically.
Some potential benefits of using at-home tests include the following:
- They may lead to an early detection of a medical condition when no symptoms are present.
- The detection of a medical condition can allow a person to take immediate action.
- They can help monitor things such as blood sugar levels, which can lead to changes in treatment when necessary.
- The companies keep their customers’ test results confidential.
Some risks to be aware of include the following:
- Home tests should not replace regular doctor visits.
- A doctor should interpret laboratory tests within the context of a person’s medical history, physical examination results, and the results of other diagnostic tests.
- At-home health tests may not be ideal, as there is the possibility of receiving incorrect results.
- At-home tests are not comparable with tests that hospital laboratories carry out. For example, when looking at cholesterol levels, a lower number may not mean that a person’s cholesterol is truly decreased. This is because different laboratories use different techniques and reference ranges.
In addition, it is advisable to exercise caution when using at-home tests, because the quality may not be the same as that of hospital laboratory tests. Errors may occur with at-home tests for a number of reasons.
If possible, a person should contact a doctor and take any recommended health tests in a doctor-recommended facility.
If a person orders an at-home health test from Everlywell or a similar company and receives results that suggest that they may have a health condition, they should confirm the results with a doctor.
The FDA also states that people should regularly visit a doctor, regardless of whether they feel ill.
Get answers to some commonly asked questions about Everlywell and its at-home test kits:
Is Everlywell legitimate?
Everlywell can help provide customers with valuable information about their health in a quick, easy, and convenient way.
The company uses CLIA certified laboratories. This means that its tests undergo regular quality checks and that its laboratories undergo regular inspections.
However, it is important to note that Everlywell tests should not replace a consultation with a doctor. The service offers a convenient way for a person to quickly and easily take control of their health, but a doctor needs to know about any serious concerns a person has about their health and well-being.
How accurate are Everlywell tests?
For some tests, such as the food allergy test, there are studies that
Other factors — including human error, fasting, and medication use — can also produce false-negative or false-positive test results.
How long does it take to get test results from Everlywell?
Test results are usually ready online within 5 business days. When test results are ready, Everlywell sends an email to the customer to let them know. A person can view their results using their Everlywell account.
Everlywell also claims to comply with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. This means that it will not share a person’s medical information with anyone else without consent.
Everlywell has a high rating with the BBB, and it uses certified laboratories to review and analyze its customers’ tests.
However, the FDA states that it is best for a doctor to evaluate a person’s laboratory test results. This is because doctors need to interpret tests alongside a person’s medical history and physical examination results to make an accurate diagnosis.
Additionally, customer reviews for the company are not positive, and some customers state that Everlywell at-home test kits sometimes provide inaccurate results.