We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
EyeBuyDirect are an online store that make and sell eyeglasses and sunglasses direct to customers.
This article discusses the EyeBuyDirect brand, their products, and the relationship between eyewear and vision health.
EyeBuyDirect are an online retailer selling custom glasses and sunglasses for adults and children. The company claim that selling direct to customers, rather than through third-party retailers, helps keep prices low.
The company offer a large variety of frames with different styles, patterns, and colors.
EyeBuyDirect have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, with the company being accredited since 2014.
They also have an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars from customer reviews, so the brand generally receive positive reviews.
Over 3 years, they have closed over 150 complaints. These complaints commonly revolve around delivery, refund, and customer service issues. However, positive reviews mention that the products are of good quality.
EyeBuyDirect offer a range of sunglasses, eyeglasses, and accessories. They sell their own brand of products as well as known brands such as Ray-Ban, Oakley, and Rflkt.
EyeBuyDirect allow a person to search for glasses based on their preferences and the following filters:
- all glasses
- reading glasses
When selecting glasses, people can choose their frame and color. From there, they can select:
- prescription information for each eye
- additional features such as blue light, clear, light changing lenses, or sunglasses
- lens features such as scratch resistance, thickness, and ultraviolet (UV) blocking
After choosing their frames, customers can then proceed to the checkout stage, where they answer questions about their prescription and lenses.
Similar to their glasses, EyeBuyDirect offer a large selection of sunglasses in different colors. People can also select light-sensitive and sunglass lenses for most of their standard glasses frames.
At checkout, a person can choose to add accessories for their sunglasses, such as wiping cloths, chains, and cases.
EyeBuyDirect offer several different services to assist their customers, including:
EyeBuyDirect are one of several online retailers that sell prescription and nonprescription glasses and sunglasses.
Other companies offering online shopping for glasses and sunglasses include:
Glasses and sunglasses can play an important role in protecting a person’s quality of vision. In a 2010 study of Indigenous people, researchers found that giving lenses at the right prescription level significantly improved quality of life for those who received them.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are several steps a person can take to protect their eyes and help prevent vision loss. They include
- maintaining a moderate weight
- using clean hands to apply contacts
- wearing sunglasses when outdoors in bright sunlight
- maintaining a healthy blood sugar level
- having regular eye exams
- wearing eye protection, such as goggles, when necessary
- eating a healthful diet
- resting the eyes regularly when using screens for long periods
- sharing family eye history with healthcare professionals where relevant
EyeBuyDirect also offer prism lenses as an option. According to the Optometrist Network, these types of lenses are available for certain medical conditions. Similar to corrective lenses, prism lenses require a prescription. Healthcare professionals commonly prescribe them for double vision issues.
Several visual and neurological conditions can cause double vision, such as myasthenia gravis and migraines. People should speak with their doctor if they experience double vision, as they may benefit from prism lenses.
Protection from the sun
Sunglasses provide important protection from the sun’s UV light. The American Academy of Ophthalmology recommend people wear sunglasses whenever they are outside. When purchasing sunglasses, they recommend:
- looking for polarized lenses to reduce glare
- not assuming that darker colors block more light
- using amber, green, or gray lenses for more contrast during sports
- shopping for glasses that block 99–100% of the two types of UV light, UVA and UVB
- shopping for larger glasses for additional protection
EyeBuyDirect offer polarized lenses as options when purchasing glasses. However, it is not clear how much UV light they block.
About blue light
However, the American Academy of Ophthalmology state that blue light from computers or other digital screens is not immediately harmful. The research is unclear whether they cause:
- issues with sleep
- eye damage or discomfort
- eye strain
- other issues such as neck pain
Not blinking as frequently when using a computer or other device for long periods likely contributes to computer vision strain. To prevent strain, they recommend:
- reducing glare from the screen
- sitting an arm’s length or further from the screen
- every 20 minutes, looking at an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds
- wearing eyeglasses instead of contacts when working on a computer
- using artificial tears to rehydrate the eyes
Therefore, a person may not need special lenses to protect themselves from blue light that comes from their screen-based devices.
EyeBuyDirect offer different styles of glasses and sunglasses for purchase online. They can also help people with choosing glasses while providing fitting guides and tools to find an eye health specialist. A person will need to know their prescription to order suitable glasses.