We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Felix Gray sell blue light-blocking glasses with prescription or nonprescription lenses. People can choose from a range of optical glasses, sleep glasses, and sunglasses. The company have developed lenses that may help with digital eye strain, and they offer a choice of many different frames.
The screens of electronic devices emit blue light. Prolonged exposure to blue light may cause digital eye strain, although scientific research around this remains inconclusive.
Some glasses lenses have unique blue light-filtering capabilities that a person may find helpful if they experience discomfort during or following long periods of screen use.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
After many months of research, Felix Gray set up in 2016 to provide blue light-blocking glasses online. All of the company’s glasses aim to block blue light, and the frames come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.
The range includes:
- Optical: For everyday use, these glasses can be prescription, nonprescription, or reading glasses.
- Sleep: These glasses are for blocking blue light from smartphones and other devices at bedtime. The company claim that these lenses increase natural melatonin, improving a person’s sleep. They are also available in the form of prescription, nonprescription, or reading glasses.
- Sun: The company only offer their blue light-blocking sunglasses in nonprescription form.
The company offer free returns and exchanges within 30 days of placing an order.
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) do not list Felix Gray on their site. This does not mean that the company are untrustworthy, but it suggests that they have not pursued BBB accreditation.
Trustpilot have given Felix Gray a rating of 3.8 stars out of a possible 5, but this is based on a very limited number of reviews. The positive reviews mention excellent customer service and quality products. Negative comments refer to the post-sales marketing feeling intrusive.
Additionally, social media reviews are generally positive, focusing on the attractiveness of the lenses, quality customer service, and fast shipping.
However, some reviewers say that the lenses do not feel high quality and are overpriced.
According to a 2018 study,
Numerous factors contribute to this, including failing to take breaks and the strain of focusing on a screen. Blue light may play a role in eye strain, although research on the precise role of blue light in eye strain is not conclusive.
Additionally, some research suggests that excessive exposure to blue light may disrupt a person’s sleep-wake cycle. This is especially true when a person goes to bed, at which time, the glow of smartphones and other digital devices may keep them awake.
All of Felix Gray’s offerings include:
- Nonprescription glasses: The company offer a range of nonprescription glasses that they have designed for people who want stylish frames that block blue light.
- Prescription eyewear: A person can also purchase traditional glasses that block blue light. Felix Gray do not provide virtual vision exams, so customers must provide a current, valid prescription.
- Kids: Felix Gray also have a line of sleep, prescription, and blue light-blocking glasses for kids.
When choosing a vision product, whether from Felix Gray or elsewhere, a person may wish to consider various factors, including:
- Value and price: Are the product costs in line with the materials that the company have used? Is the product material durable? Does the cost cover additional included services?
- Returns and exchanges: What are the company’s returns, refunds, and exchanges policies? Are there any costs associated with returning a product? Are there any warranties?
- Shipping times: Is there a shipping cost? How long will it take to receive the product?
- Lens options: Can a person choose from a wide variety of lens options, such as scratch-resistant lenses?
- Lens replacement: Will the company replace broken lenses?
- Brand reputation: Do people generally report positively on the products they order, and do they receive them in a timely fashion?
- Fitting options: Are there any free trials or other options to ensure that the product fits well before committing to the purchase?
It is important to have regular eye tests with an eye doctor to ensure that optical prescriptions are up to date and to maintain eye health.
Federal law requires eye care providers to give patients their prescriptions, even when they use those prescriptions online and even if a person does not request it. If an individual’s prescription has not yet expired, they can call their eye doctor and ask for a copy.
Although it is now possible to purchase glasses online without seeing an eye doctor, this does not mean that a person does not need regular eye exams. The American Optometric Association (AOA) emphasize that an annual eye exam can catch many diseases, including serious medical conditions. These include diabetes, which can manifest with eye symptoms.
It is also important to note that many issues can cause eye strain and discomfort when using the computer, not just blue light. Therefore, if blue light-blocking glasses do not provide relief, a person should consider consulting a doctor.
Felix Gray are not the only online eyewear retailers. Some alternative companies that people may wish to consider include:
- Warby Parker: Warby Parker are similar to Felix Gray, delivering prescription and nonprescription blue light-blocking glasses.
Learn more about Warby Parker here.
- Zenni Optical: Zenni Optical offer affordable blue light-blocking glasses.
Learn more about Zenni Optical here.
- BluBlox: BluBlox offer sleep, prescription, and nonprescription glasses. People can also purchase reading glasses from them.
Felix Gray are one of many online retailers selling blue light-blocking eyeglasses.
The company offer both prescription and nonprescription optical glasses, reading glasses, and sleep glasses, as well as nonprescription sunglasses.
People considering these glasses might wish to shop around, compare prices, and then choose glasses and frames to suit their needs.