We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
The Fitbit Sense is the newest Fitbit smartwatch. It became available to purchase in September 2020 and includes a range of features, including stress management, electrocardiogram (EKG), and sleep tracking capabilities.
This article discusses the Fitbit brand and the latest Fitbit smartwatch in more detail. It also suggests some alternative products that people can consider.
Fitbit is an American digital fitness company that offers electronic health and fitness monitoring products. Using an app that connects Fitbit devices to a smartphone or computer, a person can monitor and track a range of health statistics.
Fitbit formed in 2007 and launched its first device in 2008, in the form of a clip that fastened to a person’s clothing to track movement, sleep, and calorie burning. The company released its first wrist-worn activity tracker in January 2013. In November 2019, Google completed its acquisition of Fitbit.
Please note: All review statistics are correct at the time of publishing.
Fitbit has more than 3,700 reviews on Trustpilot, with an average rating of 1.4 stars out of a possible 5. Among the lower rated reviews, common themes include poor customer support and difficulties canceling premium membership. The more positive reviews mention product quality and — in contradiction to the negative reviews — the good customer service experience.
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) does not currently accredit Fitbit, and reviewers on the site have given the company a rating of 1.09 stars out of a possible 5, based on 269 reviews. The majority of reviews mention poor customer experience and product quality.
Fitness trackers originated from a simple pedometer and are ever-evolving, with modern products able to monitor stress levels and record more detailed information during exercise and sleep.
By connecting to a smartphone, a person can view the data from their fitness tracker via an app. This information can allow them to track fitness trends, measure personal progress, and adjust their exercise plan accordingly. Some fitness trackers also monitor a range of other metrics, such as sleep quality, blood oxygen saturation, and stress levels.
The Fitbit Sense automatically detects a person’s activities, although it can also manually record exercises. Some of the other features include:
- Stress management: The Fitbit Sense has a sensor for monitoring electrodermal activity (EDA). Along with a stress management section within the Fitbit app, this feature allows users to track trends in their stress levels and moods throughout the day.
- EKG: This feature can spot heart irregularities and detect when the heart rate is above or below certain thresholds.
- Skin temperature: This feature monitors skin temperature during sleep and tracks its variations and trends.
- SpO2 level: The device reads the amount of
oxygen within the blood.
- Sleep tracker: This feature helps monitor the length and quality of a person’s sleep by tracking movement and heart rate changes.
- Voice assistant: The Fitbit Sense has built-in voice commands through the use of Google Assistant and Alexa.
- Fitbit pay: It is possible to use a Fitbit Sense for contactless payment.
The device’s specifications include:
- Display: 1.58 inch (in) active-matrix organic light-emitting diode (AMOLED) touch screen
- Body: Aluminum/stainless steel
- Memory: 4 GB
- Media: Microphone and loudspeaker
- Battery life: Up to 6 days
- Compatibility: Android and iOS
- Waterproof: Yes, up to 50 meters
Warranty and guarantee
Fitbit’s warranty allows individuals to return products for up to a year. The company will replace or repair all new devices with faults in their materials or manufacturing. A similar 90-day warranty applies to refurbished devices.
The Fitbit Sense comes with a charging cable and two differently sized wrist straps.
The smaller strap is suitable for wrist sizes of 140–180 millimeters (mm), and the larger strap fits wrist sizes of 180–220 mm. The standard wristband is silicone and similar to that of many other sports watches.
However, a person may purchase additional or alternative straps in different styles, colors, and materials, so they can opt for a more formal leather strap or a woven, synthetic fiber one should they wish.
A 6-month free trial of the Fitbit Premium app comes with the initial purchase of a Fitbit Sense.
Fitbit Premium includes:
- advanced health metrics
- guided health and fitness programs
- stress management tools
- mindfulness practices
- sleep tools
As some of the main features of the Premium app include workout and fitness plans, it is possible to receive personalized programs from an in-person trainer. Personal training can make a person more likely to meet their fitness goals, stay motivated, and avoid injury.
The stress management section of the app monitors EDA to record stress patterns. A
At the end of the free trial period, a person can choose to cancel or renew their membership monthly or yearly. At the time of publishing, a Fitbit premium membership costs about $10 per month or $80 per year.
Individuals may also purchase a 2-year protection plan with their Fitbit Sense. This plan costs about $60, covers accidental damage, and includes all-day customer support and free deliveries.
People looking to purchase a fitness tracker can consider other wrist-worn devices. They can compare the features and prices of the various models to determine which is the best option for them.
- Apple Watch Series 6: This watch has similar health tracking functions to the Fitbit Sense, and people can also use it as a mobile phone.
- Garmin Venu 2S: This tracker has all of the tracking functions that a person might expect, as well as animated on-screen workouts. It can hold up to 650 songs and offers contactless payment options.
- Samsung Galaxy Watch 3: This device provides comprehensive health-tracking options, and people can choose from more than 50,000 different watch faces.
Fitbit released the last Fitbit Sense in 2020, making it the brand’s newest health and fitness tracker offering. The device can help a person track their exercise and manage their health and fitness goals. The device also has a stress management detection tool that may help identify mood trends.
Individuals should research the various alternative fitness trackers available to ensure that they get a product that meets their needs.