We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Gamma Ray Optix is an online retailer selling computer glasses that aim to block blue light from screens. The brand offers bifocal glasses, sunglasses, and safety eyewear in male, female, and unisex styles.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
There is limited online information regarding the background of the brand Gamma Ray Optix.
The company does not have a Better Business Bureau (BBB) page.
However, Amazon reviews for Gamma Ray Optix products are usually positive, and most reviews award the company 5 out of 5 stars.
Positive reviews frequently mention the effectiveness and quality of the glasses. Negative reviews often mention problems with returns.
Gamma Ray Optix sells computer and reading glasses, as well as bifocal sunglasses and safety eyewear.
The company says that it makes all its glasses and safety eyewear from lightweight and durable materials.
Computer glasses aim to protect a person’s eyes from the short-wave blue light that digital screens emit.
Blue light comes from wavelengths in the blue section of the electromagnetic spectrum, between
However, research has not concluded whether blue light from screens and other devices is harmful to a person’s eye health. Also, researchers do not know if glasses that block blue light effectively protect the eyes from the damage that blue light might cause.
Gamma Ray Optix offers eleven styles of computer glasses that are suitable for males and females.
The company recommends that gamers should purchase amber-tinted lenses. The company also claims that the orange-tinted lenses block the most amount of blue light.
Customers can choose the magnification level in their lenses, with magnification ranging from 0–4.
Many of the company’s reading glasses are available in multi-packs, which feature one style of glasses in various colors.
Customers can choose from 20 unisex styles and an additional two styles for both females and males.
A person can select the magnification level they need.
At the time of publication, prices range from $7.99 to $17.99.
Bifocal lenses have two functions. The top half of the lens helps with distance vision. The bottom half of the lens helps the eyes focus on closer objects.
The Gamma Ray Optix bifocal sunglasses aim to correct a person’s vision and protect their eyes from the sun at the same time.
A person can choose between four unisex styles. These sunglasses come as a pack of three or four.
A person can choose their magnification level with these bifocal sunglasses.
At the time of publication, prices range from $9.99 to $21.99.
Gamma Ray Optix stocks face shield safety visors, safety glasses and goggles, and kids’ safety glasses.
All safety eyewear products come in packs of 5, 10, 12, or 20.
At the time of publication, prices range from $13.99 to $49.99.
Gamma Ray Optix says its safety eyewear range is for household projects to prevent debris, liquids, or objects from getting in the eyes. The company states that all the safety eyewear products have polycarbonate lenses that adhere to ANSI Z87.1 standards.
This means that they meet the high standards of protection set by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).
Gamma Ray Optix offers free shipping throughout continental USA on all orders. A person may experience different shipping times depending on their location. The company claims shipping takes between 5–7 days on average.
Gamma Ray Optix does not ship to international, military, navy, or air force addresses.
The company offers a 30-day returns policy for any products purchased directly through the Gamma Ray Optix website as long as the customer has not used or worn them. Customers can also exchange products within this time frame.
Anyone who wants to exchange or return a Gamma Ray Optix product they bought through a third-party seller must contact the seller to arrange a return or exchange.
Gamma Ray Optix products offer a 2-year manufacturer warranty, but customers must register their purchase to get coverage. They can register their purchase here.
Warranty replacements are limited to the same product unless it is out of stock.
The warranty does not cover scratched lenses, normal wear and tear, accidental damage, negligence, improper use or storage of the product, repaired or altered items, or any items Gamma Ray Optix believes to be free from manufacturer defects.
A few alternative brands to Gamma Ray Optix include:
- ROKA protective eyewear:This company sells safety glasses and goggles, as well as sunglasses. The company does state that their protective eyewear products are not impact rated to the Z87.1 standard. Learn more about Roka eyewear here.
- Gunnar:This brand sells various styles of blue light-blocking eyeglasses and sunglasses to suit different needs. Learn more about Gunnar glasses here.
- J+S Computer Glasses: J+S has a small range of computer and gaming glasses at an affordable price. One of their products also offers a reading lens.
According to the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), a person should look for the following in a vision product:
- Lens material: Most lenses nowadays are plastic. Some people, particularly those who play sports, may benefit from polycarbonate lenses for extra protection against eye injury.
- Coatings: Various coatings are available for additional protection against screen glare, such as anti-reflective or ultraviolet coatings.
- Price: The AAO indicates that purchasing designer frames does not mean the glasses will be better. They recommend that a person considers spending a little more money on lenses that may produce better results.
- Warranty and return policy: Guarantees, warranties, and returns policies will vary between products, so it is a good idea to check out the small print before purchasing.
The WHO adds how a person experiences vision impairment can differ according to various factors, such as their access to eyeglasses or other assistive devices, such as a white cane.
When to get an eye test
The best way a person can stay on top of their eye health is by having regular eye tests. The AAO recommends:
- A person with good vision and healthy eyes has a baseline eye exam once in their 20s and twice in their 30s.
- A person gets a complete eye exam when they turn 40 as early signs of eye disease can begin to show when they are about this age.
- Older individuals, such as those aged 65 years or older, get their eyes checked every 1–2 years.
- People with an existing eye condition, diabetes, or a family history of eye disease, get more regular eye tests.
Additionally, if a person has an eye infection or symptoms of an eye condition, they should seek medical advice.
Protecting eye health
A person can take daily action to protect their vision. The AAO offers the following tips:
- wearing sunglasses, even in cloudy weather
- exercising regularly
- stopping smoking
- understanding their family’s medical history
- taking care of contact lenses to avoid infections
- avoiding eye fatigue with the 20-20-20 rule
Using digital screens a lot can reduce the number of times a person blinks, leading to tired, dry eyes, and even eye strain. Using artificial tears may also help to keep eyes hydrated.
Protective eyewear includes goggles, face shields, safety glasses, and full-face respirators.
Gamma Ray Optix sells a range of eyewear products, including computer and reading glasses and bifocal sunglasses. In addition, the company sells safety eyewear, such as safety goggles, glasses, and visors.
The company offers a 2-year manufacturer warranty, but customers must register their product to get coverage from this warranty.
Although research has not yet concluded whether blue light causes damage to the eyes, a person can consider getting regular eye tests to keep on top of their eye health.