Gold Bond Psoriasis Cream may provide psoriasis symptom relief and prevention. A person can apply the topical cream to psoriasis plaques or lesions to relieve itchiness, swelling, and other symptoms of this skin condition.
In this article, we discuss the common and rare side effects of Gold Bond Psoriasis Cream. We also look at how to apply the product and alternative products a person with psoriasis could use.
The National Library of Medicine (NLM) does not list any common adverse side effects for Gold Bond Psoriasis Cream.
However, the National Psoriasis Foundation (NPF) notes that salicylic acid, which is the active ingredient in Gold Bond Psoriasis Cream, is a peeling agent that may irritate the skin when people leave salicylic acid-containing preparations on for too long.
Salicylic acid may also weaken hair follicles and cause temporary hair loss.
The concentration of salicylic acid in Gold Bond Psoriasis Cream may not be potent enough to cause skin irritation or hair loss. However, people should be cautious when using the product, especially if they are sensitive to other products that contain salicylic acid.
The NLM advises:
- avoiding using Gold Bond Psoriasis Cream on large areas of the body
- avoiding contact of the product with the eyes
- not using the cream internally
A person should stop using the product if symptoms do not improve within a few days.
Most people will likely not experience any side effects from using the cream. However, they should consult a doctor before using any new product for their psoriasis.
There are no known or reported side effects from using Gold Bond Psoriasis Cream.
Severe reactions following the use of salicylic acid-containing products may include:
It is unclear whether all salicylic acid-containing products could have these effects or whether it is just the ones for acne treatment.
Authors of a 2014 study note that products containing salicylic acid could cause toxicity, resulting in severe reactions or death. It is unclear whether this includes products such as Gold Bond Psoriasis Cream or more concentrated solutions.
A person should consult a healthcare professional before using Gold Bond Psoriasis Cream or any other product on their psoriasis plaques. A doctor can help determine whether the product may help or interact with other medications a person is currently using.
According to the Gold Bond website, a person should stop using the product and seek guidance from a doctor if they do not see any symptom improvements within a few days.
Individuals should also stop using the product and contact a doctor if they notice any unusual side effects.
Gold Bond Psoriasis Cream is a topical medication a person needs to use directly on psoriasis plaques or lesions. It is advisable to follow all package instructions to ensure safe application of the product.
According to the company website, individuals should apply the cream directly to the affected areas 1–4 times per day. The company also recommends a person follow all instructions from a doctor.
Some common uses for Gold Bond Psoriasis Cream include:
- relieving skin itching
- preventing new symptoms
- reducing skin irritation
- decreasing redness
- reducing flaking and scaling
A person should only use the cream topically and not consume it or place it in deeper lesions, in their orifices, or around their eyes. They should also avoid rubbing the cream over large areas of the body.
The NPF recognizes Gold Bond Psoriasis Cream as a suitable topical therapy option for people with psoriasis.
In addition to Gold Bond, the NPF identifies the following alternative topical products to manage psoriasis symptoms:
- CeraVe Psoriasis Cream: The cream may protect and moisturize the skin and remove scales or plaques.
- Aveeno Anti-Itch Concentrated Lotion: This product may provide moisturizing itch relief.
- Curél Hydra Therapy Wet Skin Moisturizer: This product may provide a moisturizing effect immediately following a shower or bath.
- Eucerin Skin Calming Itch Relief Treatment: This lotion may help with nighttime itch.
- Dermarest Psoriasis Medicated Treatment Gel: This product may provide itch relief, moisture restoration, scale removal, and a reduction in redness.
- MG217 Medicated Salicylic Acid Cream: This moisturizer may help remove scales from the lesions.
- Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Moisture Wrap Body Lotion: It may provide deep moisture to the skin.
- Lubriderm Intense Skin Repair Lotion: This product may help moisturize the skin.
Other ingredients a product may contain to help with psoriasis symptoms may include:
- zinc pyrithione
- aloe vera
Gold Bond Psoriasis Cream may help people with psoriasis manage their symptoms. A person should follow all instructions from a doctor and on the product label.
If a person notices any worsening symptoms or new or unusual symptoms, they should stop using the product immediately and contact a doctor. Doctors can recommend the most suitable topicals to relieve psoriasis symptoms.