We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Hair loss is common, and numerous hair growth products may help. People should discuss hair loss with a doctor to find the best treatment options in relation to their overall health.
A quick look at 17 of the best hair growth products
- Best for thinning hair in females: Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment for Thinning Hair
- Best vegan shampoo: pura d’or Hair Thinning Therapy Shampoo
- Best superfood blend: Kevin.Murphy.Body.Mass
- Best hair growth gummies: Hair Sweet Hair
- Best cuticle treatment: Nioxin 3D Intensive Hair Booster
- Best for a wide range of targeted supplements: Nutrafol
- Best for curly hair: Miss Jessie’s Mafura Natural Hair Growth Oil
- Best shampoo for hair volume: OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo
- Best high-strength hair growth supplement: Viviscal
- Best hair repair mask: Carols Daughter Monoi Repairing Hair Mask
- Best scalp oil: The Mane Choice Alpha Multi-Vitamin Scalp Nourishing Growth Oil
- Best minoxidil foam: Rogaine 5% Minoxidil Unscented Foam
- Best gluten-free scalp serum: The Ordinary Multi-peptide Serum for Hair Density
- Best for protecting styled hair: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Yogurt Hydrate + Repair Whipped Curl Cream
- Best serum for hair breakage: Kerastase Initialise Scalp & Hair Serum
- Best for support from medical professionals: Roman Hair Loss
- Best thickening styling product: Keeps Thickening Pomade
Hair loss affects many people. The most common cause of hair loss is hereditary hair loss, called androgenic alopecia.
According to one
Once a person has established the cause of their hair loss, they are more likely to be able to find effective hair growth products.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), some hair growth products are effective. However, not all hair growth products will deliver on the manufacturers’ claims.
This article discusses hair loss types in more detail and looks at 17 of the best hair loss products a person can consider.
People experience different types of hair loss, including:
- Androgenetic alopecia: Also known as male pattern hair loss (MPHL) or female pattern hair loss (FPHL), this is the most common kind of hair loss. Applying minoxidil to the scalp
may help, although side effects can occur.
- Telogen effluvium: This is the second most common cause of hair loss. Telogen effluvium develops when an increased number of hair follicles enter the telogen (or resting) state. Sometimes, a triggering incident — such as a severe illness — occurs, and hair loss begins 2–3 months after. It can last for 6 months or more when it is considered chronic. Treatment can
includeminoxidil, corticosteroids, or identifying and removing triggers.
- Harsh hair care: Treating the hair with strong chemicals and dyes or tight hairstyles can cause hair loss. Changing these practices may help prevent further damage.
- Nutritional and hormonal imbalances: The AAD states that hair growth requires healthy levels of protein, zinc, biotin, and iron, which people can obtain by following a balanced diet and taking the relevant supplements if necessary. A person should talk with a doctor before taking any new supplements.
Medical News Today’s methodology
Medical News Today chooses products that fit the following criteria where possible:
- Price: Products that are available for a range of budgets.
- Availability: Products that are available to purchase online.
- Suitability: Products that companies market as suitable for all adults and for a wide range of hair types.
- Reviews: Where possible, products feature a range of customer reviews discussing their advantages and disadvantages.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Below are 17 of the best products for hair growth a person can consider.
Best for thinning hair in females: Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment for Thinning Hair
- Price: $29
- Type: solution
- Active ingredient: 2% minoxidil
- Size: 2 fluid ounces (fl oz)
The company recommends that a person apply this product directly to the scalp twice daily. The active ingredient is minoxidil, a Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved treatment for hair loss.
The pros of this product include its FDA-approved active ingredient, minoxidil, and the company’s 120-day money-back guarantee. However, people should be aware that minoxidil can cause side effects, and hair loss can return if they stop using it. Side effects may include scalp irritation and facial hair growth in females.
Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment for Thinning Hair is available online for $29 for 2 fl oz, which the manufacturer states is a one-month supply.
Best vegan shampoo: pura d’or Hair Thinning Therapy Shampoo
- Price: $24.99
- Type: shampoo
- Active ingredients: biotin, niacin
- Size: 16 fl oz
The manufacturer of this shampoo claims that it reduces hair thinning, makes hair stronger, makes breakage less likely, and stimulates the scalp.
The company attributes this to the products’ ingredients, which include:
- argan oil
- rosemary oil
The pura d’or Hair Thinning Therapy Shampoo is vegan and hypoallergenic.
The pros of this shampoo are that it is hypoallergenic, vegan, cruelty-free, and uses natural ingredients. However, there is limited data on the effectiveness of the ingredients, and it can take 3 months to show results.
The pura d’or Hair Thinning Therapy Shampoo is available online for $24.99.
Best superfood blend: Kevin.Murphy. Body.Mass
- Price: around $42
- Type: spray
- Active ingredient: oleanolic acid
- Size: 3.4 fl oz
Following the development of eyelash-thickening technology, this company used the same technology to create a hair growth product that a person applies to and leaves in wet hair.
Ingredients include a blend of superfoods, such as oleanolic acid to support hair follicles, and baobab fruit extract to moisturize and strengthen the hair.
This product’s potential pros include its superfoods, natural ingredients, and free delivery and returns. Some cons are that some users report allergic reactions, and there are mixed reviews on its effectiveness.
A 3.4 fl oz bottle of Kevin.Murphy. Body.Mass is available to purchase online for around $49.
Best hair growth gummies: Hair Sweet Hair
- Price: $26
- Type: supplement
- Active ingredients: biotin, zinc, folic acid, B12
- Size: 60 gummies
Hair Sweet Hair is a vegan, berry-flavored hair growth supplement that comes in the form of gummies. Some of the ingredients include:
- 5,000 mcg of biotin
- 20 mg of zinc
- 500 mcg of folic acid
- 850 mcg of vitamin B12
The gummies use non-GMO ingredients, and verified, independent, third-party laboratories test them.
The pros of this product include its vegan recipe that includes non-GMO ingredients and that third-party labs test it. They may also be easier to take than tablets. However, some users report acne breakouts and allergic reactions.
One bottle includes 30 servings. The company recommends that a person eats two gummies a day, with or without food.
A person can purchase a bottle of 60 Hair Sweet Hair gummies for $26.
Best cuticle treatment: Nioxin 3D Intensive Hair Booster
- Price: around $55
- Type: serum
- Active ingredient:
- Size: 3.4 fl oz
Made by Nioxin, this product is a conditioner that a person massages into affected areas, such as a receding hairline, twice daily and leaves in.
The company states this product can aid hair thickness by forming a protective barrier around the cuticle, preventing thinning and damage.
Potential advantages of this product include its antioxidant formula and that it is easy to target specific areas. Some users report skin redness after use, and it is a more expensive treatment unsuitable for regular use on smaller budgets.
A 3.4 fl oz bottle of Nioxin 3D Intensive Hair Booster is available online for around $55.
Best for a wide range of targeted supplements: Nutrafol
- Price: $88
- Type: supplement
- Active ingredients: vitamins A, C, D, and E, biotin, iodine, zinc, and selenium
- Size: 120 capsules
This company manufactures nutraceutical-based hair growth supplements designed to provide a person with what their body needs to support healthy hair growth.
Each product aims to address a different demographic or health concern, such as a supplement for women’s hair wellness, postpartum hair shedding, and a DHT inhibitor supplement.
This supplement contains vitamins A, C, D, and E, biotin, iodine, zinc, and selenium.
It may take 3–6 months for individuals to see results. However, the company does not guarantee results.
Potential pros for this supplement include that it is physician-formulated and uses natural ingredients. However, it offers very high amounts of certain nutrients, taking a person far above their recommended daily amount. It is also unsuitable for vegetarians and vegans, and a person must take 4 capsules for one serving.
A bottle of 120 Nutrafol supplement servings costs $88, or a person can sign up for a monthly subscription for $79.
Best for curly hair: Miss Jessie’s Mafura Natural Hair Growth Oil
- Price: $11
- Type: oil
- Active ingredient: mafura oil
- Size: 1.5 fl oz
This Miss Jessie’s product moisturizes and strengthens natural curly or coiled hair to prevent breakage.
It hydrates the hair and scalp with a blend of:
- mafura oil
- Abyssinian seed oil
- sweet almond oil
- avocado oil
- argan oil
- soybean oil
- jojoba seed oil
- coconut oil
Some advantages of this product are that the company specifically designed it for curly or coiled hair, and it may soothe dry and itchy scalps. It also uses natural ingredients. It is also very affordable. However, it contains soy, and some users claimed it made their hair greasy.
A 15 fl oz bottle of Miss Jessie’s Mafura Natural Hair Growth Oil is available online for $11.
Best shampoo for hair volume: OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo
- Price: $19.99
- Type: shampoo
- Active ingredients: biotin and collagen
- Size: 19.5 fl oz
This product uses a blend of ingredients that includes:
- vitamin B7 biotin
- hydrolyzed wheat protein
Although the company claims that one use of this shampoo can help hair look more voluminous, it does not say it can promote growth.
The pros a person can consider include its affordable price, higher volume, and ease of use. However, some cons include that it does not directly help hair to grow and it contains fragrance, which may be unsuitable for people with very sensitive skin.
A 19.5 fl oz bottle of OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo is available online for around $19.99.
Best high-strength hair growth supplement: Viviscal
- Price: $36 a month
- Type: supplement
- Active ingredient: AminoMar C marine complex
According to the manufacturer, this hair growth supplement increases the number of hairs and their thickness while reducing hair shedding.
One ingredient is AminoMar C marine complex. As such, this product may be inappropriate for people with seafood-related allergies.
The company writes that its products have undergone clinical testing, although the FDA has not evaluated them.
The company advises a person to take one pill twice a day.
Some advantages of this product may include its clinical trials and the fact that shipments are automatic. There is also a 90-day money-back guarantee. However, it is unsuitable for people with seafood allergies, and it can take 3–6 months to see results. Some users may also find swallowing tablets difficult.
A monthly supply of Viviscal is available to purchase online for around $36 a month.
Best hair repair mask: Carols Daughter Monoi Repairing Hair Mask
- Price: $32
- Type: hair mask
- Active ingredient: monoi oil, hydrolyzed silk
- Size: 7 oz
This company claims its product can result in 98% less breakage after just one use.
The hair mask contains monoi oil and hydrolyzed silk. A person can use this mask after shampooing and conditioning their hair. They must massage it into their hair and scalp and leave it for 5–7 minutes. According to the company, they should aim to use it at least four times per month.
Some pros a person can consider include that the company designed it for all hair types, it is clinically tested, and it does not include parabens or artificial colors. However, it may be most effective when used with other Carols Daughter products.
Carols Daughter Monoi Repairing Hair Mask is available online for $32.
Best for scalp oil: The Mane Choice Alpha Multi-Vitamin Scalp Nourishing Growth Oil
- Price: $12.99
- Type: oil
- Active ingredients: biotin, tea tree oil, rosemary leaf extract
- Size: 4 fl oz
A person should apply this oil directly to the scalp after shampooing and leave it to stimulate and soothe the scalp to reduce shedding.
The formula contains a range of natural ingredients and oils, including:
- tea tree oil
- rosemary leaf extract
Some pros a person can consider include that it is paraben-free, affordable, and may help to clear oil and buildup on the scalp. However, some users reported scalp irritation and did not see any improvements. Additionally, the product does not specifically grow hair or prevent hair loss.
The Mane Choice Alpha Multi-Vitamin Scalp Nourishing Growth Oil is suitable for daily use and is available to purchase online for $12.99.
Best minoxidil foam: Rogaine 5% Minoxidil Unscented Foam
- Price: $51.99
- Type: foam
- Active ingredient: 5% minoxidil
- Size: 2.11 oz
Minoxidil, the active ingredient in this foam, is FDA-approved for promoting hair growth. The product also contains alpha-hydroxy acid, botanical extracts, and emollients to support a healthy scalp and follicles.
A person should apply this foam daily and consistently for the best results.
There are different versions of this product for males and females.
Some pros a person can consider are that it is FDA-approved, it can promote hair growth, and it is easy to apply. However, minoxidil can cause side effects and unwanted hair growth. Hair loss can also return if a person stops using the product.
A pack of two cans of Rogaine 5% Minoxidil Unscented Foam is available online for around $51.99.
Best for gluten-free scalp serum: The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Serum for Hair Density
- Price: $21.70
- Type: serum
- Active ingredient: caffeine
- Size: 60 milliliters (ml)
The company designed this product to promote hair growth and thickness, particularly when combined with a scalp massage. Its active ingredients include proprietary complexes of REDENSYL and CAPIXYL. These complexes include:
- protein peptides to strengthen and repair hair
- castor oil to stimulate hair growth
- caffeine to encourage absorption
- conditioners to soften the hair
The company claims that with a lightweight, non-greasy feel, the scalp can absorb this product easily.
Some advantages may include its alcohol-, silicone-, gluten-, and nut-free formula. The company also offers 365-day returns. People cannot use this product with direct acids, direct vitamin C, resveratrol, ferulic acid, or salicylic acid. Some people also report an oily residue and that it was not effective.
The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Serum for Hair Density is available online for $21.70.
Best for protecting styled hair: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Yogurt Hydrate + Repair Whipped Curl Cream
- Price: $13.99
- Type: cream
- Active ingredients: manuka honey and yogurt
- Size: 11.5 oz
This cream hydrates and strengthens hair to reduce the risk of breakages while styling. The company recommends a person uses this cream alongside its other Hydrate + Repair products.
A person can leave this cream in their hair. Its key ingredients include:
- manuka honey
- yogurt extract
- mafura oil
It also includes Fair Trade and organic shea butter.
Some advantages of this cream include its affordable price, the potential protection it can offer against breakage, and its natural, Fair Trade, and organic ingredients.
Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Yogurt Hydrate + Repair Whipped Curl Cream is available online for $11.99.
Best serum for hair breakage: Kerastase Initialiste Scalp & Hair Serum
- Price: $56
- Type: serum
- Active ingredients: gluco peptide, wheat protein derivative, native plant cells
- Size: 2.2 fl oz
This leave-in serum aims to smooth and strengthen the hair fibers and reduce breakage.
According to the company, its key ingredients are:
- gluco peptide to strengthen hair at the cuticles
- wheat protein derivative to restore hair flexibility and elasticity
- native plant cells to hydrate and support hair roots
It also contains fragrance and mineral oils.
The pros a person can consider include that it may be easy to apply with a dropper and may prevent breakage. However, it may be unsuitable for people with a dry scalp, and it does not claim to promote hair growth. It is also an expensive product.
Kerastase Initialiste Scalp & Hair Serum is available online for $53 per 2.2 fl oz.
Best for support from medical professionals: Roman Hair Loss
- Price: from $16–35 per month
- Type: solution, tablets
- Active ingredient:
- Size: 2 fl oz, 30 tablets
Focused on hair loss in men, this online retailer offers online consultations with a medical practitioner, home delivery of prescription medications approved for treating hair loss, and ongoing follow-ups to adjust treatment. To sign up for the service, a person must complete an assessment. The company will suggest whether its products will be suitable for them.
A person can sign up for:
- finasteride, a prescription drug for receding hairline
- minoxidil, a topical application for hair thinning on the crown of the head
- both finasteride and minoxidil
The advantages of this service include its health consultations, a wide range of FDA-approved hair growth products, and discreet, free shipping. However, its products can take 3 months to show results, a person must use them daily, and hair loss can return if a person stops.
Roman Hair Loss treatment programs cost between $16–35 per month.
Best thickening styling product: Keeps Thickening Pomade
- Price: $25 or $8.33 a month
- Type: pomade
- Active ingredients: biotin, caffeine, green tea, and saw palmetto
- Size: 3 oz
This specially formulated product aims to make thinning hair look thicker while providing a medium hold and a matte finish.
The manufacturer states that it can support hair loss treatment plans. It is not a dedicated hair loss treatment, but it may make thinning hair look thicker, according to the company.
It is formulated with biotin, caffeine, green tea, and saw palmetto. Additionally, it is safe for everyday use and contains no ethanol or propylene glycol.
The pros of this pomade are that it can make the hair look thicker and help with styling thinner hair. It also contains a range of natural ingredients.
However, it does not treat or stop hair loss, and the company states it is not clinically proven to improve hair growth.
A 3 oz pot of Keeps Thickening Pomade is available online for $25 or $8.33 a month for a 3-month subscription.
The table below compares each of the products included in this article.
|Keranique||spray||hair regrowth||minoxidil 2%||$29.95|
|pura d’or||shampoo||• hair strength|
• damaged hair
• organic argan oil
• organic rosemary oil
|Kevin.Murphy. Body.Mass||spray||thinning hair||oleanolic acid||$49.95|
|Hum Nutrition||gummy||hair health||• biotin|
• folic acid
• vitamin B12
|Nioxin||cuticle treatment||thinning hair||• antioxidants||$46.84|
|Nutrafol||supplement||hair health||• biotin|
• vitamins A, C, D
• patented collagen
• amino acid
|Miss Jessie’s||oil||itchy scalp|
• natural and curly hair
• jojoba seed
• Abyssinian seed oil
• sweet almond oils
|OGX||shampoo||• thinning hair|
• damaged hair
• wheat protein
|Viviscal||supplement||• thinning hair||• proprietary AminoMar® marine complex||$33.33|
|Carols Daughter||hair mask||brittle, dry, or damaged hair||• monoi oil|
• hydrolyzed silk
|The Mane Choice||oil||scalp health||• biotin|
•vitamins C and D
• rosemary, sunflower, and grape seed extract
|Rogaine||foam||• hair loss|
• thinning hair
|• 5% minoxidil|
|The Ordinary||serum||thinning hair||• protein peptides|
• castor oil
|Shea Moisture||cream||• curly, wavy, or natural hairstyles|
• styled hair
|• shea butter|
• manuka honey
|Kerastase||serum||• damaged hair|
• thinning hair
|• gluco peptide|
• wheat protein derivative
• native plant cells
|Roman||• scalp treatment|
|male pattern hair loss||• finasteride|
|$16–35 per month|
|Keeps||pomade||hair thinning in males||• biotin|
• green tea
• saw palmetto
According to the AAD, the common treatments for hair loss include:
- Minoxidil: Minoxidil is an FDA-approved treatment for hair loss. It can
changethe growth phase of a person’s hair. However, people may find that their hair loss returns if they stop using minoxidil. Additionally, it can cause unwanted hair growth in other areas of the body.
- Finasteride: This medication addresses male pattern baldness and female pattern hair loss in postmenopausal females. It works by
reducinglevels of DHT in the body and slowing hair loss.
- Vitamins and supplements: If a person receives blood test results showing deficiencies in certain vitamins or minerals, such as biotin, iron, or zinc, a doctor may recommend they take supplements. A person should not take supplements if they do not have a deficiency.
- Home laser devices: These devices can comb in the form of combs, brushes, and caps. The theory is that laser light stimulates hair follicles to grow. However, research is yet to conclude how effective laser therapy is for hair loss. A 2020 literature review states that low-level laser therapy (LLLT) can be effective for MPHL and FPHL. The authors note that some studies have links with hair loss product manufacturers, so there may be a risk of bias. Overall, there is a need for more research into the effectiveness of this treatment.
- Microneedling: This treatment involves using a device fixed with hundreds of small needles. A person rolls this device over their skin to prick the surface, creating very small injuries. It may
work wellwith other hair loss treatments, such as minoxidil, by helping the product penetrate the skin. A 2022 overviewof microneedling states some use it in tandem with minoxidil or topical steroids. 2021 research states that doing this can significantly increasehair counts. A person should see a dermatologist or doctor before trying this treatment, as it may worsen some hair or scalp conditions. Other older studies have found that it may make minoxidil treatments more effective.
There are many hair loss products on the market with positive user reviews. However, a person should speak to a doctor to determine the cause of their hair loss and the best treatment.
A person should consider the following factors when looking for a treatment for hair loss:
- Price: Some treatments can be expensive. A person should carefully consider the proven benefits of their chosen treatment before making a purchase.
- Ingredients: Some hair loss brands are transparent with the ingredients used in their products, while others are not. A person should research the ingredients listed on hair loss treatments and check that they are safe to use. They should avoid products that do not list the ingredients clearly on product labeling or online descriptions. If a person reacts to a hair loss treatment, they should stop using it and seek medical advice.
- Hair type: Some products feature specific formulas for certain hair types, such as curly or thinning hair. People can also consider how they usually style their hair and choose a product they will find convenient to use.
The AAD recommends seeing a doctor about possible hair loss as soon as signs of hair loss appear. This is because earlier treatment can be more effective. Early treatment can also prevent further hair loss.
The British National Health Service (NHS) writes that a person should see a doctor if they experience:
- sudden hair loss
- bald patches
- hair loss in clumps
- a burning or itching scalp
- emotional distress due to hair loss
Below are some frequently asked questions relating to hair growth products.
Do hair growth products work?
It depends. Many do not work. Products made with minoxidil and finasteride are FDA-approved and can be effective, but they can also cause side effects. Those made with natural ingredients may be less effective and have less research to back up the manufacturers’ claims.
However, some research has yielded promising results for some ingredients used in hair growth products, such as:
- saw palmetto
- marine proteins
- garlic gel
Are hair growth products safe?
For the most part, hair growth products are safe. However, some ingredients — such as minoxidil — do have the potential to cause side effects.
Before using hair growth products, people need to check for allergen warnings and possible interactions with other medications and supplements.
When is it time to contact a doctor about hair loss?
The best time to contact a doctor is often as soon as hair loss is noticeable. This is not because hair loss is a symptom of illness but because it can indicate that some treatments, such as medications or cancer treatments, are having unintended effects.
Most often, hair loss is due to genetics and aging. However, starting treatment early can enhance its effectiveness and help prevent further hair loss.
Losing hair can signal hormonal imbalances, thyroid problems, and scalp conditions, all of which can benefit from prompt treatment from a qualified healthcare professional.
What product is best for hair growth?
Minoxidil and finasteride products are widely tested, FDA-approved, and have a lot of research backing up their effectiveness. A person should speak with a doctor before buying minoxidil or finasteride products, as they can cause side effects.
Hair loss is a common condition and often has a significant personal impact. Understanding the causes of hair loss can help a person find hair growth products to best suit them.
Hair growth products include shampoos, conditioners, oils, masks, and supplements. Individuals should proceed with caution, always check the ingredients, and discuss product use with a doctor if they are taking other medications or supplements or have known allergies.